#1July 9th, 2008 · 07:19 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
47 posts
United States of America
The Lights Edge

This song is not in a battle

***HEADPHONES RECOMMENDED***

I have never been the best guitar player, so I have to go about things in my own strange way when it comes to writing songs. This song is purely instrumental, and where it is lacking in technical skill, I hope it makes up for it with emotion and feeling. I layered the other guitar playing over the top of a chord structure I created. I wrote that part on the spot, not knowing what I was doing, and this is the recording that came from it.
I find that the feeling of this track comes across the strongest for me when the sun is going down and I'm looking out the window at the horizon. That sounds cheesy, but it's the place where this song lives in my mind, hence "The Light's Edge"...

P.S. It's not really a 'solo' in the normal sense, it's just me playing around on the guitar. I couldn't write a guitar solo if my life depended on it, so try not to think of it in those terms.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2July 9th, 2008 · 09:14 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Like your song...yes? no? yes? no? yes? no? ....... Yes!
I REALLY like the rhythm and backing track to this piece, I'm not so into the solo it's a bit wally!
My indecision comes from the fact that I do really like the rhythm guitar, it has a wonderful feeling about it, I actually first expected a Pink Floyd 'Wish you were here' type of song, the slow warm deliberate home brew guitar turning into something totally pro and amazing.......... but it didn't it turned into a solo.......ploink
Never mind,
If you can work on that rhythm track , do it exactly the same but better, I'd love a copy to see if I can put a lyric to it......I like it that much.
I wont have time to work at it for a few months, I have to finish building my 'studio', but twill be done.....on earth as it is in heaven !!! 
If you were to listen to my own 'Folk-' tracks here on bandAmp you might hear why I like it.
#3July 9th, 2008 · 09:16 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Inspiration at its best...Well I personally dig it!!!I think there's some real good spots in it...I also think it fits the title well..good performance..The only thing I found was the bass a bit low in level all though it still cuts through well!!
Anyways good job!
#4July 11th, 2008 · 06:26 AM
24 threads / 19 songs
171 posts
United States of America
I like the rhythm, but the solo doesn't fit in well. It flows too much with the song making it annoying and it sounds a bit off pitch from the rhythm guitar.
#5July 11th, 2008 · 08:30 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
47 posts
United States of America
Wow. Annoying AND off-pitch. Flows too much with the song... yet doesn't fit in well....???
Awesome.
#6July 13th, 2008 · 02:49 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
yeah
IT is out of pitch with the song, yet, the melody is flowing too much, so it doesn't really fit the song. It should be more emotive.. specially since that is what you seem to be really stressing that you are trying to do, just close your eyes and play, don't let it be constrained by the rhythm.. Just let go and play, let your mind break free...

Just try to stay in key...

JimK
#7July 13th, 2008 · 04:23 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Hey Trans ..the reason I think they say off pitch is do to the flattening/sharping of a few notes..But I think what your trying to do is express something a bit more out the box...The scale sounds like it has attributes a chromatic fingering which is fine and not for everyone....I think it something you should pursue though do the fact many of us just dance around the penta world.....Anyways it works for me and "no" in musical context sorry but is not out of pitch guys...
#8July 13th, 2008 · 08:17 AM
24 threads / 19 songs
171 posts
United States of America
The scale sounds like it has attributes a chromatic fingering...  but is not out of pitch guys
No. not chromatic scaling here. Not what I'm talking about. I enjoy chromaticism. The soloing guitar sounds slightly out of tune from the rhythm guitar. And I think the equing of it against the equing of the strumming guitar enhances that.
#9July 13th, 2008 · 09:11 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
I guess we hear different then things..So we can always agree to disagree...Anyways keep em coming...!!!
#10July 13th, 2008 · 02:12 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
47 posts
United States of America
Well thanks for the feedback guys.
Whether it may or may not be "out of tune" technically, I don't hear it that way, and I find the notes to fit quite well with the rhythm, as have others who have listened. But you may hear it differently which is fine.
I know nothing of chromatic playing or standard scales, so when it switches between them, all I care about is whether the playing still fits together, which I think it does.... But to each his own. I know there are a few flat notes in there, maybe one day I'll get around to re-recording it
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 11:21 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.