#1March 30th, 2008 · 06:00 PM
18 threads / 15 songs
74 posts
United States of America
Picture Perfect People

This song is not in a battle

An ambient experiment with some trance and hip-hop elements. Influenced by bands like Air and Caribou.

Hope you like it. Any comments are appreciated. Don't forget to rate!

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2March 31st, 2008 · 08:16 AM
5 threads / 5 songs
590 posts
United Kingdom
Reviewing as i listen
 I really like the piano, nice sounding vst. My first thought when the drums and 'groove' came in was that it completly went against the piano. I Can't really explain that any further, it just sounded unexpected. As i listen, the song goes through more different sections, and i have to say that the sections don't sound like they come from the same song... They're very disjointed.

On the second listen, i like the piano even more. cool experimental track, with some very nice (and interesting) sounds, but imo you need to "meld" the sections together more effectivley.

btw, i ditto using headphones. I always do because you hear so much more with them

Ian
#3March 31st, 2008 · 11:03 AM
10 threads / 10 songs
30 posts
United States of America
I like the beginning
The piano is unexpected yet very welcomed.
Crafty changes throughout...
Creepy yet satisfying.
#4March 31st, 2008 · 06:24 PM
18 threads / 15 songs
74 posts
United States of America
I agree with you, Ian. I have trouble joining parts of my songs together to flow nicely. If I do, it turns out alright, but it just gets too boring for me. I like to make songs that have a lot going on.

Thanks for the comments. I'll be sure to return the favors!
#5March 31st, 2008 · 08:43 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
hmmmm
I too am a fan of combining things that normally would not go well together, like my latest little sample and loop track, But let me say, I think this could be made to blend better with the right organization.. It helps if when you combine this many styles, and tempos, that you find a common theme between them. this way even though they are extremely different, they are flowing well.. Also I think there are a couple things that are out of sync, so it makes it hard to keep your flow...  Multi tempo is a pain the butt to lay in right, but I think you got kind of aggravated, and impatient here with this one..  I think if you take your time, you might find a way of bringing this smoother... Great sounds... could use some more bass.. it's not deep and heavy enough.. also could use some funky slap bass...  but that's just my taste on the slap bass... probably don't need that as much.. definitely needs some depth and heavyness though...  Make this thing rattle my trunk man!!

JimK

btw, I rated this one 70% because the overall concept is fantastic, and really could be something.. And I think you did a decent job overall... Just like I said needs some more depth... and more cohesion.. Depth of bass, and getting  the stuff sync'ed a bit tighter would get this to 85% straight off.. Add to that some more common theme stuff, and this would be a 100 easy.... 
#6March 31st, 2008 · 08:58 PM
18 threads / 15 songs
74 posts
United States of America
Thanks, JimK. I get what you're saying.

So I think I might need to bust out my bass and start recording some riffs then, huh?

I'll work on it a little more, maybe shorten it a bit.
#7March 31st, 2008 · 09:03 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
dazednconfused wrote…
Thanks, JimK. I get what you're saying.

So I think I might need to bust out my bass and start recording some riffs then, huh?

I'll work on it a little more, maybe shorten it a bit.

YEAH!!  BUst that bass out.... BTW, can you teach me to play mine? I haven't messed with it in a while... I just need some help figuring out how to make decent bass lines, instead of bass melodies... ya know?  in other words, I SUCK.. hehee..  anyway.. as for the length dude, I think it's pretty ok... not too sure if it should be shortened, considering the tranc-ish vibe...  I would keep the length, just may be a bit to thin... hmm that reminds me of a song, a great one... hold on....

(Searching youtube......)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AvMUR_XMlg   Too much fun...
#8April 1st, 2008 · 09:48 AM
18 threads / 15 songs
74 posts
United States of America
I'm not that much of a bass player, I play acoustic and electric guitars a lot more, but my abilities on the 6 string translates over to the bass. When I try to come up with riffs I just listen to the song a couple times, get the general feel for it in my head, and think of a bass line that might sound nice. Then I replicate it on the bass (I guess I play by ear) and see how it turns out.

I've been playing guitar since I was 11 (I'm self taught), and I'm really more into classic rock. The electronic songs are more of an experiment, but I really enjoy making them.

So I tightened the transitions a bit, have some bass lines recorded and identified the overall theme. I think it's coming along nice.

And wow, what is my House doing playing slide guitar? I knew Hugh Laurie was awesome, but now he rocks!
#9April 2nd, 2008 · 12:27 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Very cool sounding...Nice layers and very chill vibe.I'm liking your style...I think from what I heard from your sequencing this areas need attention: some finessing on the flow of changes and theme context.Let me explain,I understand the breakout of patterns and the unrestricted air that you can fill with many of those awesome sequenced layers,but somehow in the chaos as a listener I want to travel through the sound story still retaining the integrity of your changes but somehow knitting them with minor detailing such as reversed sounds fading into a part,cross fading to another change,filtering in a fade in of a sound used in the next pattern letting it build till the dynamics releases to the new sequence etc...Also makes sure that your changes follow the right key changes .For example the piano change is a whole different key than your first sequence it doesn't even fall on the circle of 5ths,that's the first atonal issue there,a quick repair would be to flow the piano and first sequenced change with tonal relation...Anyways this only my opinion based in how I right my stuff...Its still quite awesome what you did here!
#10April 6th, 2008 · 03:34 AM
6 threads / 6 songs
70 posts
United States of America
I don't agree with alot of the responses...this is cool!!! It does sound like different songs in 1 but thats cool...its different you know.The piano at the intro is really good....The vibe is very relaxing man.I think you may need to go back to some of the parts again though..maybe just to prove its the same song
#11August 21st, 2008 · 12:52 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
this is like awesome. i taught myself how to play guitar at around 11 as well. im 14 now.
i love classic rock too
#12August 21st, 2008 · 10:22 PM
15 threads / 12 songs
171 posts
United Kingdom
The intro of drums was weird and so was the exit of piano.

Really lovely synth! Once the piano stops they become tranquil. But the drums do get repetative, a variation on grooves/patterns would be great here. I think the double snare was repeated too much (just 1 double hit) would of gave more emphasis.

I really do the like the dark voicings on this piece specially with the title (Picture Perfect People) very, very sinister. You've done good, expanding and trying different styles. Very experimental.
The transition at 2:55 was good.

There could be things done production wise to make the track sound better, but the concept is great. 4:25 made things really confusing (which was cool ) .... but I think the last 'section' didn't really fit at all compared to everything else.

Great erm... song or whatever you can call it. Piece of art .
#13August 21st, 2008 · 11:40 PM
373 posts
China
For me it's the whistle sound and the piano that don't go together... I like the intial groove when the bass and drums kick in... at 2:30, it's getting a bit repetitive for me with little change... I can hear the changes, they are real subtle... personally, I'd like to hear that break at the 3 minute mark come in sooner just to mix it up sooner...

In agreeance with the some posters about melding these pieces together better, maybe with some common theme... like the ideas and most of it is sweet to my ears, tho'...
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 7:09 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.