#1March 19th, 2008 · 04:51 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
Back to me?

This song is not in a battle

Hi Guys

It's been a while.

This is the rock song I've been working on so far.

Some people in America are recording it for me for $125.

This is what we've got so far.

I think:
I think I'd prefer the lead guitar to be a little higher in mix.. In the intro when the rhythm guitars come in I think maybe they could be a bit quieter? It might just be because I'm used to hearing it without a lead guitar. What do you think?

Also in the chorus as well. I'd love to hear the lead guitar standing out just a bit more. Don't know what you think.

And the vocals are a bit high in the mix do you think?

Also I'd like to add some backing vocals.. if anyone has any ideas please feel free to download the song and add something over the top. Or if you don't want to do that just say what you think here.

Thanks guys.

LYRICS:

Everyday after school
I think of all things
I should have said to you
I should have told you

Third times the charm
But I'm not sticking around
Too hear your lies again
I should have said

You said you're sorry
Too many times before
Now I can't believe
Your stories any more

You said you're sorry
Too many times before
Now I can't believe
Your stories any more

I wish I knew
3 years ago
Why I started to
Fall in love with you

What made me
Want to be with
The one that I would
Grow to hate

You said you're sorry
Too many times before
Now I can't believe
Your stories any more

You said you're sorry
Too many times before
Now I can't believe
Your stories any more

And after all of this
All of this
You still come crawling back to me

And then when you're done
When you're done
It all comes rushing back to me

You said you're sorry
Too many times before
Now I can't believe
Your stories any more

You said you're sorry
Too many times before
Now I can't believe
Your stories any more

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2March 19th, 2008 · 11:47 PM
2 threads
7 posts
United States of America
good Song,I like it, Need better distortion , cleaner , louder
Keep working on your vocals.
Cool Cool tune 
#3March 20th, 2008 · 05:30 AM
6 threads / 6 songs
70 posts
United States of America
I liek it man.alot going on in it.Is this you doing everything?keep up the good work man
#4March 20th, 2008 · 05:38 AM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks guys.

lol no this isn't me doing everything. Maybe you didn't have the time to read but I said up there I was getting someone in America to record it for me. I'm just the singer and songwriter. So I wrote all the parts and someone else plays them for me .
#5March 20th, 2008 · 04:08 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Nice cut.

The vox are nicely mixed, the music does sound a little muffled, which could easily be resolved with raising the upper mids. this should bring out the guitars better.

How are you monitering the mix??

Denis
#6March 20th, 2008 · 04:19 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
He's doing all of that but I'm wanting to get lots of views from different people so I can mention them to him to see what he thinks!

Thanks for your comment!

#7March 20th, 2008 · 07:24 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
This reminds me a bit of the old style music of the Brittish invasion...as we call it....Sounds good Peter....Can you explain what you mean  that its being recorded for  $125.00 ?...do you mean its being mastered in a studio?

Flyer

rates
#8March 20th, 2008 · 07:31 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
Great track...love the changes and melodies...lead work is nice too...Now the mix...sounds like all the instruments are being played down the hall while your singing right into the mic in the same room as it.I also agree with everything you stated in your intro for the song.Nice voice by the way.
#9March 20th, 2008 · 07:44 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
FLYER7747 wrote…
This reminds me a bit of the old style music of the Brittish invasion...as we call it....Sounds good Peter....Can you explain what you mean  that its being recorded for  $125.00 ?...do you mean its being mastered in a studio?

Flyer

rates

British Invasion? I guess I'm too young for that lol. Or I don't know my history..
Yeah it's probably both 

Record for $125 is basically.. I give them sheet music, a demo version with my vocals, lyrics and a midi file and then they get people to play Guitars, Bass and Drums for me and then I send in my vocals. Then they mix it all (the stage we're at now), and then when we're happy, they master it too!

BasketCase wrote…
Great track...love the changes and melodies...lead work is nice too...Now the mix...sounds like all the instruments are being played down the hall while your singing right into the mic in the same room as it.I also agree with everything you stated in your intro for the song.Nice voice by the way. ;)

Wow a compliment about my voice! You don't know how much that means, seriously.

I know what you mean about the mix. A lot of my songs sound like I'm just singing over the top of the other instruments but it's just been remixed and we're still working on it.

Remixed version if you want to have a listen:
http://www.songmastering.com/help_desk_storage/Peter-samplemix(lowervox-higherguitar).mp3

By the way has anyone get any ideas on something to do with the vocals? Like effects or anything? Or do you think they're fine as they are?

Thanks again
Pete
#10March 21st, 2008 · 01:18 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Hey, man, this is great!  Your vocal tone is absolutely perfect for the style!

I like the remixed version's instrumentation, but I think I like the bass-y feel of the vocals in the original.  If there's a way to keep your vocals as they are in THIS track, and put it over top of the remixed version, then that'd be great.

As for vocals, I've been trying to learn how to do some things more professionally, myself.  (I started with getting a second mic, and recording them both at the same time, positioned differently for a more interesting stereo sound, but one can work around that if needs be.)

One thing that can be done with vocals is to keep your lead vocal centered (like it already is) and then duplicate the exact same vocal track twice, once being to the left, the other to the right.  (you can pick how far out to pan them.)  All by itself, that won't make much of a difference, except that it'll sound louder than normal.  But don't stop there--- On one side, add some sort of effect.  Nothing too strong, but enough that it'll stray in some sort of reverb-ish timing, like a vocal flanger or phaser.  Again, light on the effect.  On the other side, either pick the same effect with an inverted pattern, so as to create some difference between the two sides, or pick another effect entirely.

As an example, you can listen to my pre-version of You Fool on my site.  Ignoring the wider guitar sound, you can compare how the vox on my most recent upload here on the amp is different from this new version that i just linked to.  In the new one, I've got the sides about 10db lower than the lead, and with the same effects, except that the left has an addition light flanger, and the right has a delay/echo (very fast decay, timed to every .75 beats) and then also a light phaser.  The effects are so light that a person may never actually notice that you went through the trouble to put the effects on, but it adds some little edge to the side of the headphones that enhances the sound.

For your song, I wouldn't go overboard with such a strategy, but it might help beef up the vocal sound.  Again, I can't stress the LIGHTNESS of the effects.  they're not intended to be noticed... they're intended to add something to the vox that the listener can't quite put their finger on unless they're really listening hard.

I like your breakdown in the middle-ish, with the "And after all of this" part.

Mmm, as for the first comment, posted by slimmydoop, I disagree about the distortion.  We tend to want lots and lots of distortion on things by default, but I like the sound you've got in the song.

Ah, and I just noticed a very very light palm muted part during the verses (just the verses, i think)... I only hear it in the right hand side, and it might be nice to bring it a little louder, if possible.  Not much, but a little tiny bit.

Only a few rough spots on the vocals, mostly on the word "believe", I think.  It's not far off, but it could maybe be ever so slightly more on tune, and it would sound clearer.  (I have that problem all the stinkin time.)

Great work!  Nice song, and I like the structure.  It's short, but I like it that way.  Any longer and it might start to get a little too long for the style/words that you've chosen

See you around
Tim
#11March 22nd, 2008 · 04:27 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks for the detailed review TLS .

I've passed on your ideas for the vocals to the person who's mixing it

Take a look at this version, it has a new guitar into, do you prefer it?

http://www.songmastering.com/help_desk_storage/mixdown-newintro.mp3
#12March 24th, 2008 · 11:09 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
hey, pete, sorry for the delayed response to your post.  i listened to the new version soon after you posted it, but i've been so torn between different tasks to properly reply to it.

i figure that you're probably in some sort of time-agreement with the people producing your song, so it's prolly best if i reply sooner than later, huh

Perhaps I'm not listening carefully enough to the intro, but I'm not hearing the difference in intro between the versions... the new one you've posted a link for has a much clearer sound, for sure.  I prefer it, enormously.  It's great.  It really brings out the instruments in all over their subtle details.  I'll be curious to hear your next version of it, with the changed vocal tracks.  I think it's coming along great!  Catchy song.
#13March 24th, 2008 · 01:25 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply don't worry about taking a while to do so . I'm just glad you did!

Anyway if you listen to the song posted on this page at the top (bandamp player) and then compare that with the one two posts above this you should notice a change at about 11 seconds and again at 13 seconds. It's the lead guitar part.

Also I was thinking about taking out the last guitar riff before every chorus because it interferes with the vocals a little too much, do you agree?

He's going to work on the vocals for me over the next week, but he's been doing a lot of work on it over the last few days so he's having a little break and mastering some other songs (none of mine btw) .
#14March 27th, 2008 · 08:05 PM
14 threads / 14 songs
232 posts
United States of America
Music: Punk..
Suprised? Nah.

Just kidding man. I dunno. The whole thing seems kind of generic. Expecially the slow part... it just seemed so unoriginal. I don't have a problem with it. It just wasn't that catchy to be a vcv masterpeice.

Thanks for the comment on arachnid. Peace
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 18th, 2024 · 1:53 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.