#1February 25th, 2008 · 04:42 AM
48 threads / 41 songs
144 posts
New Zealand
Barriers (A Gun)

This song is not in a battle

Ok well I put Cardigan Sweater up which is the first track off my EP so I thought I'd put this one up too, which is the last - the 7th track and pretty much the antithesis.

- Chester

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2February 25th, 2008 · 06:49 PM
2 threads / 2 songs
7 posts
United Kingdom
Wow. Love the general production and sense of space. For me the vocals have a great dynamic range but just a tiny bit undercompressed that led to (impo) some uncomfortable peaks while wearing headphones.

Overall though I love this... nice guitar work and soulful vocals.
#3February 28th, 2008 · 05:32 PM
4 threads / 2 songs
11 posts
Belgium
hey! i like the bass-notes in the guitar. they bring a special dynamic to the song. Together with your soft voice it makes the song verry nice to here. Something to fall asleep with.
#4March 3rd, 2008 · 12:35 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Just Beautiful.
Nothing else to say.

> Iszil
#5March 6th, 2008 · 02:32 AM
12 threads / 8 songs
70 posts
South Africa
Beautiful track that I have been listening to a lot on mp3 player. Vocal very reminiscent of Crowded House and guitar technique makes me think of Ben Gibbard. Your stuff is very professionally done and you are a great songwriter. Hope your ep does well, you have huge talent and a great future.
#6March 6th, 2008 · 01:28 PM
14 threads / 14 songs
232 posts
United States of America
So mellow on the guitar.
How in the heck do you make your slides ring each note clearly like that? Maybe I am in aweird mood but they all seem very distinct even for a slow slide
#7March 8th, 2008 · 12:21 PM
12 threads / 12 songs
89 posts
Canada
barriers
Chester, is this about someone else? It is very nice but sad and slighty depressive. The quality is very good! Great mix. I just hope this is not about you. You have a fantastic gifting in your music and if this was about you and if this is how you feel, my heart has to respond and say, there is hope for an athiest and for you and for the person who cuts himself (herself.) I found hope 27 years ago...have a good day man.....jgv
#8March 8th, 2008 · 05:15 PM
48 threads / 41 songs
144 posts
New Zealand
Haha hey man,

I should probably post the lyrics up. It doesn't say anything about anyone cutting themselves. That would be a little morbid.

"you are like broken glass, you cut deep and fast" - it's just a metaphore.

Don't worry! I'm in good health!

- Chester
#9March 8th, 2008 · 05:24 PM
2 threads
49 posts
Ireland
Tasty guitar - good vocal - harmonies - ooooh very nice!
SWEET!!!
#10June 9th, 2008 · 08:10 PM
23 threads / 14 songs
515 posts
Japan
Ahh I love this , tasteful guitar and the melody vocal very sweet , i notice a reference to crowded house from amper wam
Can feel the presence

Excellent pedigree
release ???
good luck

thanks

yokoinc

#11June 9th, 2008 · 08:44 PM
373 posts
China
Hauntingly beautiful, it sunk right in and I was awaken abruptly when it ended... Excellent feeling to this piece...
Sounds very professional.... Good show!

Hen Hao!
#12June 10th, 2008 · 03:08 AM
48 threads / 41 songs
144 posts
New Zealand
Thanks guys!

Dark, the sliding is intentional, I mic up the fret board about halfway down, then mic the sound hole and also run the guitar through an amp. Gives it a nice full acoustic sound.

Something cool that I thought some of you might be interested in: That Viola line was written for the chorus, it's two lines that make one drop each so they harmonize. But when we came to mixing we figured out it sounded quite nice as an opening and then it also worked perfectly in the end bit, which is an entirely different melody! I still haven't quite gotten over the luck involved there, haha.

- Chester
#13June 12th, 2008 · 11:00 PM
6 threads / 5 songs
72 posts
United States of America
Loved the acoustic work and the job you did recording it.  I'm not normally a fan of the whisper-vocals, but they work here, and they really add power to the chorus, if for no other reason, then by way of contrast. 

Agree with Reason above regarding the peaks in the vox. (also listening on headpohnes)... they could be compressed a bit. 

That said, I'd be more than proud if I recorded something even half as good.  Thanks for sharing it.
#14February 16th, 2010 · 08:16 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
CONSENT
URGENT
Please send your permission to me URGENTLY to use this song for the bandAMP album!!, I have a dealine and only so much time.
See sample of permission staement  on 'The AMP Vol I' thread.

Cheers

Denis
#15February 16th, 2010 · 09:03 AM
6 threads / 6 songs
18 posts
Sweden
The intro with the strings feels very open and the guitar sounds perfect!
Everything is well played and well sung, also i like the whole production very much. Nice and warm.
Wind effects in the background? Cool!

Beautiful song! Can't wait to hear more!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 24th, 2024 · 2:16 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.