1 2

#1February 20th, 2008 · 04:56 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
On The Up

This song is not in a battle

Tried a little experimentation in the production, would be interested what you think.

I enjoyed puting this one together, some parts were difficult, but I held my patience and got it finished.

I know the flute has a few doggy notes here and there, I'm trying to work on the higher register where it comes a wee
harder to play.

Cheers

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2February 21st, 2008 · 01:04 AM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
Hey Denis,

This has an amazing feeling... makes me stop everything else and just be with the music.  Its also very well put toghether, but the flute sounds a bit too "metallic" for me... it would be nice to heear a more wooden sound instead... but maybe some eq'ing work would be enough.   Everything else is just perfect.  The first few seconds i was waiting for the vocals to come in, but the flute takes easily the lead after that.  Also, geat guitar work...as always.
#3February 21st, 2008 · 09:17 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Nice track Denis,I think this track has a very tasteful melody..I know many of your work is very much geared  to capture the organic feel on the music...I think this track has a lot of melodic potential ,I think structuring and arrangement organizing will render this track perfect...As it stands to my ears is real beautiful track but I would love to hear it real finessed!!!!Flute is a bit far sounding and lacks a bit of body....But the performance is great and so is melody story line...
#4February 22nd, 2008 · 09:20 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
this is amazing.
a brilliant record
but i miss some really good vocals
#5February 22nd, 2008 · 09:30 PM
3 threads / 3 songs
9 posts
United States of America
I love the guitar work on this.  A nice engaging melody from the flute, though it might be a bit in the background at times, not sure if you were going for that or not, but I like how it plays sort of understated.  I think the guitar rules out in the end on this one.  Very nice.
#6February 22nd, 2008 · 09:45 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
9 posts
United States of America
Respect
First, why do you put experiments up here? Experiments are accumulative acts that you normally don't share with other people until the experiments are complete, and even then you're only supposed to share the results of the experiments. Some people here put a lot of effort and thought into their songs. Putting an experiment up here is like saying: "I hate the people that listen to my music." You should release something real. Seriously, I now think that you are an ass because of this. And I hate to judge people based on the music they play, which I normally do not do; but you have forced me to do this Denis.

Anyway, the song was pretty good. It got a little crowded at times, and a flute is never a good choice unless you're in an orchestra. Go listen to Neutral Milk Hotel's CD, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, and think about using a saw or something next time.

And for the love of christ does the song really need to almost five minutes? Can you listen to this song for five minutes? It could easily be cut down to two minutes probably. Have some respect for the people that listen to your music, Denis.
#7February 23rd, 2008 · 12:28 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: Respect
LeisureClass wrote…
First, why do you put experiments up here? Experiments are accumulative acts that you normally don't share with other people until the experiments are complete, and even then you're only supposed to share the results of the experiments. Some people here put a lot of effort and thought into their songs. Putting an experiment up here is like saying: "I hate the people that listen to my music." You should release something real. Seriously, I now think that you are an ass because of this. And I hate to judge people based on the music they play, which I normally do not do; but you have forced me to do this Denis.

Anyway, the song was pretty good. It got a little crowded at times, and a flute is never a good choice unless you're in an orchestra. Go listen to Neutral Milk Hotel's CD, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, and think about using a saw or something next time.

And for the love of christ does the song really need to almost five minutes? Can you listen to this song for five minutes? It could easily be cut down to two minutes probably. Have some respect for the people that listen to your music, Denis.

Are you for real?? Are you a famous producer or something, you certainly try to come accross like it???

The experiment was the production not the music [that's what is says in my comments], I really don't accept your views on this with this at all!!!!

I really don't know what planet your on, you have only been on this site for five minutes and you act as though you own it!!
One of the positive things about this site is that there are some very good critiques, who actually help others improve, your comments are personal, yes I said personal, they are not in anyway shape or form constructive
I think in future if you want to make a personal comments, you should PM the member.

With the greatest of respect,, don't review any of my songs again.

Respectfully

Denis
#8February 24th, 2008 · 03:53 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
PortraitsForJudith wrote…
I love the guitar work on this.  A nice engaging melody from the flute, though it might be a bit in the background at times, not sure if you were going for that or not, but I like how it plays sort of understated.  I think the guitar rules out in the end on this one.  Very nice.
You have hit the nail right on the head with regards to the flute, it was my intention to have the flute in the background at times, I'm not sure how it would sound if it was more upfront. If it was more upfront the way it's structured now it may clash with the guitar, it may work if I played the flute around the guitar, although there are some parts the could take the lead. I shall experiment with it next time to see how it sounds, hence this is a learning curve for me. Your comments are much appreciated. Denis
#9February 24th, 2008 · 03:58 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
aetheris wrote…
Hey Denis,

This has an amazing feeling... makes me stop everything else and just be with the music.  Its also very well put toghether, but the flute sounds a bit too "metallic" for me... it would be nice to heear a more wooden sound instead... but maybe some eq'ing work would be enough.   Everything else is just perfect.  The first few seconds i was waiting for the vocals to come in, but the flute takes easily the lead after that.  Also, geat guitar work...as always.

I wasn't happy with the my flute playing in this track, I struggled to get a quality tone, I should have been more patient and recorded another day or something. Thanks for listening. Denis
#10February 24th, 2008 · 01:17 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Denis Experiment all you want my brother!!!!this is awesome!!!!!
#11February 24th, 2008 · 01:22 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Marino wrote…
Denis Experiment all you want my brother!!!!this is awesome!!!!!
Thanks M for your support, yes I will continue to experiment until I can play no more in my life time.

Cheers

Denis
#12February 24th, 2008 · 01:54 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Definately sounds really well mixed. Though I have the feeling this is a instrumental track meant to carry vocals - somehow it sounds mixed that way, but this could be due to the fact that the flute is slightly to the back. Since this is an all-instrumental, the flute could take a more prominent position in the mix IMO, then again you say this is an experiment So, keep at it!

The overall feel is really relaxed. Sounds like a sunny spring day.
#13February 24th, 2008 · 02:21 PM
66 threads / 55 songs
697 posts
United States of America
Great track man. Some respect is definitely due

Kudos on the fluting, got me hooked.
#14February 24th, 2008 · 02:35 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Respect
PX, Tak, M, PFJ,TK,eatheris, - Now thats what I call reviewing a song. can't thank the community enough for your support and the help to me improve as a musician. This is my No1 goal.

Oh and Battlecat thanks for puting up the abuse review.

Much Respect to the the BandAmp community.

Denis
#15February 24th, 2008 · 03:17 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
As always, your recording is top notch...Very nice flow musically, Denis I agree with Puppet that the flute could use a little bit more of a boost in the mix. Not a lot. Just a touch. Nice Acoustic Guitar. This is sweet, Denis. Your music seems to improve with every recording my friend

High Rating

Flyer
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 5:28 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.