#1February 19th, 2008 · 01:56 AM
48 threads / 41 songs
144 posts
New Zealand
Bamboo

This song is not in a battle

Hey here's a new track. I played it live the other night so I thought it'd put it up here. It's pretty rough. But it'd be good to see what y'all think.

- Chester

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2February 19th, 2008 · 03:31 AM
15 threads / 5 songs
76 posts
Australia
holy shit man this is amazing! Wish I was at that gig, I really like it, sounds mad.
#3February 19th, 2008 · 03:58 AM
12 threads / 8 songs
70 posts
South Africa
Really great song! I love the escalation and drive it gets. Really good recording considering it was live. Agree I would love to be at the gig - you sound so comfortable and relaxed, natural showman!
#4February 19th, 2008 · 05:15 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
This is awesome I love it! Great live performance! Very relaxed! Piano is very great. Your voice is perfect too!
The way you have the song escalate is really awesome. Very good recording even though it was live.

lol I loved the intro with you talking to the audience.
#5February 21st, 2008 · 04:23 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
at last some more expression in your voice than your other whispering singing.
like the chords
so sad you didn't answer my mails
#6February 21st, 2008 · 07:56 PM
3 threads / 3 songs
9 posts
United States of America
Very nice.  I'm getting a kind of Damien Rice vibe with some of the (what sound like) female harmonies.  Excellent dynamics.  Great harmonies.  Beautifully executed.
#7February 22nd, 2008 · 06:26 AM
24 threads / 19 songs
171 posts
United States of America
I love piano with vocals.  Great unification, I think.  Wipe away the girl's voice and I'd like this song more.  Maybe even take away the guitar (I think that's what I hear in the b/g). Rock on, dude!
#8February 28th, 2008 · 10:19 PM
4 threads / 4 songs
145 posts
United States of America
I wouldn't change a thing, it's brilliant! I was listening and it was a beautiful start, then you gradually let the leash go and the song took off! Really great song, lovin' it!
#9February 29th, 2008 · 04:21 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Despite the latter half of this sentence, this is a phenomenal recording considering that this is live, but that said, the piano kills your voice.  This is especially a problem when you first start singing.  I could barely hear your voice.

Speaking of which, I agree with TritonKeyboarder that it's nice to hear you do something interesting with your voice.  You have great vocal talent, it's just that I don't think you really exercise it much.  The song is probably the best thing I've heard from you.  I think the guitar and harmonies were a mistake; this would have worked perfectly with just you and the piano.  The guitar especially doesn't match your piano's rhythm at all, and seems to sporadically choose when to play and when not to play.  This may be a performance issue, but it detracts very strongly from the track.  The harmonies less so, but I just felt that the raw emotion of the track didn't need it.  I also think the harmonies need to be a little more consistent; tonally, melodically and harmoniously.  Again it could be a levels and live setting thing.  I'd love to hear a studio version of this.

If you haven't recorded it, I'd suggest trying the harmony panned WAY wide--75% maybe.  Record it twice for each side and see if that fills the sound scape.  Stick you vocals in the center and push the piano out to about 20% and add a bit of tube preamping, EQ and verb to really warm it up.  Then, try the guitar both just inside and just outside the field of the piano, with a proper performance and see what happens.  A contrabass or a cello for that last chorus playing with a violin mixed in very carefully could work...I wouldn't be tempted to use it until then though, if at all.

Don't take this the wrong way; I really liked the performance.  Great show.
#10March 2nd, 2008 · 04:06 PM
12 threads / 12 songs
89 posts
Canada
Bamboo
Nice quality recording. You have no accent in your singing. Good to hear the accent when talking. Good build to the chorus. the song has depth man. I like music that you have to listen to again and again in order to really understand what your lyrics present. That's you. Keep up the great work. I want to eventually hear all your stuff on Bandamp.  Have a great day.....................jgv
#11March 3rd, 2008 · 12:12 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
F***ing amazing!
Just loved it, dude.
I just don't know if the guitar should come up here. May be you could make some more interesting arrangements with it.
About the second voice, I like it, but I just don't like how it sounds, but that's because of live performance.
Great job man!

> Iszil
#12March 6th, 2008 · 01:42 PM
14 threads / 14 songs
232 posts
United States of America
hahaha omg you need to sing with your accent!!!! Come on man! Who are you kiddin!! LOL
#13March 6th, 2008 · 02:13 PM
48 threads / 41 songs
144 posts
New Zealand
Hey man,

I'm not trying to kid anyone. I'm sorry, who are you to tell people what they 'need' and need not do? A lot of people sing in a neutral accent, it's something I've done since I was very young, certain words are extremely hard to stress in a new zealand accent. The american accent is a very stark accent that lends itself well to certain sounds.

If you lived in new zealand you'd know that most bands and artists here when singing do not sound like a new zealander. and when they do it can sound very grating.

Sweet though, cheers for the hyperbole - really sophisticated. Haha.

- Chester
#14March 6th, 2008 · 02:38 PM
14 threads / 14 songs
232 posts
United States of America
No dude. I love you! Let me translate my previous statement.

"hahaha omg you need to sing with your accent!!!! "
Oh my god, it would be funny if you sing with your accent!!!!

"Come on man!"
LoL just do it, it would be awesome!

"Who are you kiddin!!"
Why aren't you joking around a bit!!

"LOL"
LO FUCKIN L
#15March 26th, 2008 · 09:52 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
Awesome!

I've never heard any of your songs live before and this was really good!

I do agree with the comment about the guitar and harmonies though.

But it's really good .

Have you got any more live performances we can listen to?

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 4:47 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.