#1February 15th, 2008 · 11:35 AM
12 threads / 8 songs
70 posts
South Africa
against the world

This song is not in a battle

me with yet another unfinished song!! I've have been trying really hard to get a more complete song together and this is as far as I have gotten. There is still a another verse, bridge and chorus to add. Please could I have some opinion as to how to get the mix better, every time I think I've got this FL mixer thing down something else sounds out of wack! Vocals are a first take trying to get a feel for the song.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2February 15th, 2008 · 12:18 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
10 posts
Canada
Wow that song is going to be sweet... I couldn't really hear the lyrics at the beginning, but it gets louder about midway through. The singing goes really well with the song.. I love your stuff, its great.
#3February 15th, 2008 · 01:23 PM
12 threads / 8 songs
70 posts
South Africa
Thanks a lot man, comments realy appreciated.

Unfortunately ignorance is my impediment! I'm scratching in the dark with the recording process! While I was recording and piecing this together I thought I had it sounding like I wanted then I ran it through my speakers and the guitars went completely tinny and the overall volume was way down. Then I started messing with the mixer adding effects (mostly preset in FL) and voila, vocals disappeared right down into the mix and other things ended up way too harsh. Thats why I need advice before I go and spend another day thinking I'm going in the right direction only to realise I'm probably going to have to re-record from scratch (timing on the guitars is pretty dodgy as well!)
#4February 15th, 2008 · 03:38 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Lifes a bitch ! 
Record it all again........why not ? If you actually become confident enough with your recording you'll probably record another 1000 songs, so record it again, it's a beautiful song.
If you manage to collar some of the Amps FL users, and ask them the right thing I know they could give you some priceless recording advice.
I can tell you the vocal is way too far back in the mix but this you know. 
Otherwise all I can really say is, how on earth can anything (including people) ever physically 'go backwards' in an ever expanding universe ?? I mean considering 'time' and all that, it can only go one way what ever you decide to do !!?? so record it again !    It's a really nice song.
#5February 15th, 2008 · 03:51 PM
2 threads
49 posts
Ireland
Best advice I can give you is to save at every stage i.e. when you get something you like - save or burn it before proceeding to add to or mix or add effects or whatever. This gives you a "fall back" point you can return to if it goes belly-up on you. My best advice is save everything and to try to figure out the "right" way to do whatever you want to do next..........in other words trial and error will only get you so far...but how do you repeat something that you like unless you have a system. Working intuitively is fun but the problem is.......you cant remember how you got it to where you are or how to backtrack if it goes wrong. Read the manuals for your equipment, then read them again.....and again......and again and then learn them off by heart!
#6February 15th, 2008 · 04:22 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Nice blend of instruments, the overall feel of the song is really nice.

There's not that much wrong with the mix, as i hear it there is too much trble and bass in the acoustic guitar,just simple bring the levels down so they blend with the synth/keyboard, and yes bring up the vox a bit.

Then it all depends on your set up??

I really like the song

Cheers

Rated
#7February 15th, 2008 · 04:30 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Wow you did a great job with this. Just like this is sounds good! Your voice goes with the guitar reallllyyy nicely!
It flows great!
#8February 16th, 2008 · 06:47 AM
12 threads / 8 songs
70 posts
South Africa
Thanks very much for the comments guys, much appreciated.

So basically:
1) Stop whingeing and record as often as neccessary until it gets there
2) read the bloody manual and understand the shit I am using

Got it. Back to work eh!!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 5:04 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.