#1January 21st, 2008 · 08:05 PM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
Man In the Smoking Mirror

This song is not in a battle

Last year I started on a project I called "the colour of music". The problem was that at the time, I was still learning a lot about the style of music I was trying to write for. So I've made some plans to give the project another go, with a whole new set of songs. This song is the first completed track. It's heavily inspired by a track called "hospital", which is a dark drum and bass track.
Man In the Smoking Mirror is a heavily experimental track, and it has a combination of dark ambient and breakbeat, and drum and bass somewhere in there, I think. It took me over a week of several hours solid work each day, with the last couple of days solely working on getting the instrumental mix just right. I used four fruity loops project files to create this, and my only fruity loops VSTi preset was the piano. As well as the VST's in fruity loops, I also added some sound effects from my keyboard, and some dissonant guitar, to add ambience to the piece. This is the longest time I've spent on just one song, and I think it's payed off, the result being a quirky weird dark random experimental song. I doubt this will fit to everyone's tastes, but at least I don't think it sounds as amateur as my previous works.

I've got a few more enjoyable and light hearted pieces prepared for the rest of the colour of music series, but I'm going to take my time on them, to get the highest quality possible out of my music.

I hope you enjoy it, and if not, then I hope you appreciate the technical side to it.

Cheers.

WB

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2January 21st, 2008 · 08:26 PM
24 threads / 19 songs
171 posts
United States of America
I like this twisted beginning... The piano-sounding instrument is very creative... scary music stuff... I like the knocking noise... Ooooooh, 1:05 into the song that weird eeerrrrrrrr sound is cool and the beat comes in at the right moment.  Gets me singing.  This song has good movement throughout.  Very nice, clean recording.
#3January 21st, 2008 · 10:55 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
21 posts
United States of America
I like to be put on edge before i am sent into oblivion.
#4January 22nd, 2008 · 03:06 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
This is blocbuster movie stuff.

This is the best quality recording I've heard from you with this style of music, your hard work
has payed dividends.

Your improving all the time!!!!

Keep it up!!!!!

Rated

Denis
#5January 22nd, 2008 · 04:14 AM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
I agree with Denis. This is deff movie material....Nice work...
I see a vey big improvement here also...I can tell you took more time on this one.....Keep going....

Flyer

Will rate this also
#6January 22nd, 2008 · 01:42 PM
2 threads / 2 songs
9 posts
United States of America
Very Intresting! Sounds like something that would be used in the movies.....which is kinda what some of my tunes sound like too. I hope that wasn't insulting to you but being from Los Angeles and now hanging out in Germany, having projects that cater to movies really pays off (in more than one way). The flange effect is tight and overall listened to this track a few times. Nice Job!
#7January 22nd, 2008 · 04:23 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
327 posts
United Kingdom
ohhh mhhyyy
this is soo different.. i love it! i love that  haunting feel ..i feel drawn into it.. its going on my playlist..i am left wanting more.. thanks for giving me the strangest thoughts that i have ever had..high rating..BE PROUD!!
#8January 22nd, 2008 · 05:33 PM
2 threads / 1 songs
5 posts
Germany
Nice Beat
I like the Beat and how it comes up slowly with the piano!
Nice and simple reminds me of Minimal Musik!
keep it up
#9January 22nd, 2008 · 07:36 PM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
Thanks everyone. I'm glad you like it. Denis, ralph: movie quality? Wow, thanks! I knew this was a step up. Just lately I've realised how to get the most out of my music, and I'm so glad it's payed off. I'm going to try and come up with some more music of this quality, I'm trying to start a fast happy techno song now, so it's a little different, but if I can pull that one off, maybe I can prove this standard as my new consistancy.

Cheers all, for the kind reviews. I strive to impress you guys, fingers crossed I can do it again.

WB
#10January 22nd, 2008 · 07:56 PM
7 threads / 2 songs
15 posts
United States of America
I love the 2:30 part. It seems like it just becomes like a horror movie part when the moster chases the main character. Freakin great! I downloaded the MP3. GJ 
#11January 23rd, 2008 · 06:14 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Very Nice!!
Wb,You just keep getting better!!!!!
I just love this.I think this is the best track I've heard from you my friend....Good use of space and sound.It feels very surreal!!!!!Good show(Some wicked stuff going on)...Ahh it broke loose ...Great.....
#12January 23rd, 2008 · 02:36 PM
2 threads / 2 songs
6 posts
Belgium
I love it there are parts that could fit just perfectly in a movie and other parts that could fit on a drum n bass party... Keep up the good work
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 7:27 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.