#1December 30th, 2007 · 08:46 PM
50 threads / 32 songs
292 posts
Canada
First Cut (Improvisation)

This song is not in a battle

Well, this is my band, Our Rebellion's first perfomance. We'd sound a lot better if we had some recording equipment other than a MP3 player, and it might also help if we had a bassist.

I guess the only concern here is the recording stuff. I'm going to have to try and save up for a mic for my drum part...

Anyways, hope you'll enjoy our amatuer performance.

--XFactor--
             (On behalf of Our Rebellion)

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2December 30th, 2007 · 11:20 PM
8 threads / 7 songs
83 posts
Venezuela
Yes, you need some recording equipment. The guitar envelops everything in somepart, the drums vanishs those time. As noticed, the drums are almost unhearable. Though a little repetitive is a nice try. Expecting to hear again a longer, better recorded version. Keep working on it.
#3December 31st, 2007 · 05:47 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
I agree with Jorge with the level issue as you had mention.I do find lots of potential and yes the bass would be great too!
#4December 31st, 2007 · 10:01 AM
50 threads / 32 songs
292 posts
Canada
Thanks!
Hey guys, thanks for the advice! We'll be looking forward to complete our piece and polish it up for next time!

--XFactor--
#5December 31st, 2007 · 10:42 AM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
Looking forward to a decent recording. The general vibe sounds pretty cool though, good luck with that! The only thing I would watch out for is what we used to call 'neverending riff' syndrome. Ie. try and refrain from playing the same two bars over and over again
#6January 1st, 2008 · 06:55 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
It can cost quite a bit of money to set yourself up to get a good quality live recording. Build it up slowly I suppose, or borrow.

Dont buy cheap crap, better to get quality secondhand, research whats available and what suits
which instrument etc.

BTW, to record the drums it's better you use three mics, One for the Kick, and two overhread spaced about 5 feet and a couple of feet above the cymbols, but you will also need a mixer.

Not bad for your first perfomance.

I would simply work on your perfomance skills first, try and get together at least twice a week.

Good luck

Denis
#7January 1st, 2008 · 09:32 AM
5 threads / 5 songs
590 posts
United Kingdom
yeah, i agree with everything said above. just keep at it. avi has put a post in the gear section about budget recording setups that actually work quite well. This does have potential, youre playing in time with each other, which is always good, so good luck and keep posting

Ian
#8January 2nd, 2008 · 10:06 AM
50 threads / 32 songs
292 posts
Canada
Thank you!
Hey guys, glad to hear what you think. About DaveUK's comment... Yeah we kinda figured it got boring so we're making a few changes to the song... Now I'm having trouble memorizing the parts! But the N.R.S. is a good tip to keep in mind!
I'm not sure if we're able to afford that many mics cuz we're still in high school and none of us has a job yet. But good suggestion, we'll be saving up for it!

Well, we'll be working on it! Thanks again!

--XFactor--
#9June 8th, 2008 · 04:05 PM
131 threads / 114 songs
295 posts
United Kingdom
+1 on the recording comments try just playing everything quieter so it doesnt overload the mic you got for now til you can buy better gear, especially the guitar, it's waaaay too loud compared to the other instruments
#10June 9th, 2008 · 09:40 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Just wanted to add that I listened and liked what I heard.
I also must agree with ; mics , equipment , positioning , neverendingriff syndrome(lol), guitar and levels and I'd like to add , all in good time !
Keep it up, and follow sound advice !!!  
#11July 2nd, 2008 · 09:12 PM
50 threads / 32 songs
292 posts
Canada
Much appreciated...
Yes, thank you guys for the advice. Well, we've been working on this song... but our progress kind of came to a halt when our lead guitarist was listening to his brother's music and realized... sadly... that another song sounded completely like this. 

We were so far into completing the song too! *Sob*

Anyways, we're good ways ahead into our new song, along with all your helpful advice counted in. (Yay no more NERS

Another update from Our Rebellion is, well, we might not be called Our Rebellion anymore. We might be changed into Annointed In Blood. See what happens when you let your guitarists manage the band? LOL, disaster.
It's also been quite hard getting together for a band practice since it's the summer holidays... I've been hoping to meet up with the guys sooner or later, before we forget the only song that keeps us motivated.

Again, thanks. Your comments and support is gratefully accepted.

--XFactor--
#12July 4th, 2008 · 07:24 PM
151 threads / 150 songs
265 posts
United States of America
Reminds  me very much of  Nirvana. Its hard to tell though because all of the noise.

I was once at this stage, and my advice to you is this:
1. Buy a mixer and microphones
    a) Look for a good mixer. Go used if you have to, but get something that connects to your PC (this will give   much more versatility than analog recorders)
   b) For microphones, you can start small. Buy a standard condeser mic or an SM57 to record vox, and a cheap drum-mic kit to record the drums. Run the others direct.
2. Learn how to use mixing software
a) FL Studio is great for beginners, but it lacks some advanced features.
b) Cubase, Reason, and Pro-Tools are popular mixing programs. Cubase is neat and easy to use, Reason is slightly more complex, and Pro-Tools is extremely expensive and requires special equipment.
3. Record
a) You can record live if you have enough microphones, but I would not suggest this at all. ALWAYS record with a click, and record either rhythm guitar or drums first. It will probably be easier to record rhythm guitar first, as long as he stays in time. Slowly add on melodic  elements. You may have to record vocals first, so that the band knows what to play when recording.
4. Mix

As for playing and style, I really like the chord progression, but as you  said, it reminds me of similar bands. That isn't really a problem though. As long as you all bring your unique talents, the band will sound original. The drums get out of time here and there, and I can tell that the guitarist is in drop D because whenever he plays the open D chord, it gets out of tune. Tell him not to pick so  hard  when playing open D and it will sound better.

Cheers, and here's to a happy music career!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 11:19 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.