#1December 19th, 2007 · 04:43 AM
3 threads / 2 songs
15 posts
United States of America
Late into the Night (WIP)

This song is not in a battle

Hello to the BA community. This is a song I wrote a while ago, and I'm so happy I have finally agreed to one set of lyrics and have found a great melody in my opinion .

Anyhow, I hope you all enjoy it, and any comments is much appreciated. Also, if you can, comment about the word "window". My guitarist really doesn't like that I stress the 'dow' part and wants me to change it. I want to keep it. What do you think? Please keep in mind, this is a first draft, can't wait to put the drums and bass in .

Here are the lyrics to Late into the Night

Once again missed promises
This is the story of my life it happens all the time to me

No escape from hell tonight
I thought I'd run straight to the fight but I can't get it right you see

Black and blue I'm broken down
I can't take it when you're not around

Late into the night I'm feeling all alone
I need you here to make it right
No one left to hold I'm here all by myself
I need you to get through tonight

Looks like I've lost myself
I know the cause lives down the block where we would used to walk back then

I throw my hopes at your window
Because I just ran out of rocks, I guess I missed the mark again

The cold hard truth somehow seeps in
I'm losing now, this time you win

I can feel the warmth inside through all of your dismissive goodbyes
Can you let your other half die
Can you look me in the eye
And say you'll walk out of my life
Can you let your other half die - will you let me die?

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2December 19th, 2007 · 02:06 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
This song has great potential.

I'm no expert in lyric writing, but they come accross heart felt, I've got no problem with the word
'Window', it's all in the mind if that word means a lot to you, then you should just sing it to your hearts content.

I'm not sure if the clean tone on the guitar suites the song, especially the chorus where it picks up,
perhaps a bit of grunge guitar would fit better. This is my personal opinion. When you add the bass you may have to thin out your guitar rhythm, simply because it's being played on the lower register and more to the piont it's melodic rhythm in some places, in fact it may sound better without bass.

You need to raise your vox in the mix.

The structure of the song is good, and the melody is sweet.

Look forward to hear the song when you have polished it up.

Cheers

Denis
#3December 19th, 2007 · 04:08 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Late into the Night (WIP)
WELCOME TO THE AMP       . I listened to your first song too
Hey this is nice............and better..sounds like a live recording with 2nd vocs added later
man u have real songwriting talent ............... this song a true journey........dynamic changes........instrumental breaks..how u recording this?????software - hardware etc...
to be fair I want to know more before comment on mix etc
U have very good voice ------well recorded
SOUNDS GREAT
MORE
The fish

Kersplash
#4December 19th, 2007 · 04:26 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
hmmmmmmmmmmmm, Agree that the clean tone all the way through takes away from the potential of the song..I don't think a full blown out distorted sound is needed, maybe more like a rockabilly blues distortion? I like the lyrics but I do have a problem with the way you sang window. The lyrics in that section are really good but like the clean tone of the guitar it holds the words back a bit. I like the background vocals but I think it was used too often.( My opinion on this might change with the final mix as it's already been stated you need to be more up front). I think some strummed clean chords with some chorus and maybe a  bit of flanger would sound really sweet during the palm muted break down section. The guitar solo to me sounds more like it should be a synth or perhaps a violin with the guitar accompanying it. Of course this is all personal taste and just suggestions.Overall a great tune with loads of potential.Great Work!

PS. Welcome to the Amp.
#5December 19th, 2007 · 08:15 PM
3 threads / 2 songs
15 posts
United States of America
Thanks for the Feedback
Denis: The word window sounds awkward when you stress the dow part - so they want me to change it - problem is... the meaning is lost if I replace window with something else. I wanted a picture of a guy throwing rocks at a girls window, that sweet scene none of us probably lived through - but the idea is sweet.

With the guitar - it was meant to be acoustic, but our friend took the guitar home, so we had to deal with clean guitar. My guitarist thanks you for the comments and promises you (and all who posted after) that it'll be different later on in the electric version.

With the vox, my guitarist commented that the music seemed too far away from my vox, so I recorded with the mic turned down lower and farther away. I will fix this with the second version. Thanks .

Swordfish: Thanks for enjoying the song. I recorded it through Adobe Audition. The guitar was laid down first by my guitarist who used my (crappy, but all I could afford) Behringer Eurorack U8802. This mixer was then plugged into the line in of my computer which then recorded the guitar.

After that, I recorded my voice over it using the same rack with a condenser mic. And dubbed my voice over again after that on a different layer. I'm still a newbie when it comes to software like FL and Garage Band, and I found Audition to be very simple - I went crazy trying to look at Sonar's program - it's not a Cake Walk.

Hope you can shed some light on what I should do to better the situation above heh.

BasketCase: My guitarist thanks you for agreeing with him on the window part. Your comments on the instrumental is also appreciated and he agrees with you and will make the changes on the second version. With your suggestion of the synth... we don't have one - so we'll have to deal with the guitar for now. Thanks for commenting!
#6December 20th, 2007 · 05:26 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
What do you mean you haven't got a synth? You've got a computer haven't you? Get a virtual one , vst or stand-alone.
I listened for window, sorry missed it.....listening again!
Watch your ThiSiSthiSStory , otherwise I really like your vocal.
 A! window...na that's all right , you've done what you could with too many words and one breath! lol
I really like the imagery and the story you tell :

I throw my hopes at your window
Because I just ran out of rocks, I guess I missed the mark again

This is really good, maybe you should try and sing it differently, you'll have to format your brain to ignore what you sung before and try it in a different way, and rewrite the line before :
"I know the cause lives down the block where we would used to walk back then"
It's too long and not correct "would used to" _ where we would walk back then / where we used to walk back then ! yes?

You know your guitarist will ALWAYS say that he / she cant hear a thing because of 'the vocals'
Maybe your guitarist should join bandAmp too?
#7December 20th, 2007 · 08:19 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Great track for a full band song.Some nice powerful parts could be worked on the sound recording.The vocals are well done and so is the idea behind them.The recording it self is more of working idea take,but it gets the vision across fairly well in my opinion!Some vocal parts sounded a bit struggled on the higher notes,don't hurt your voice maybe drop the tunning half a step.
#8December 21st, 2007 · 04:00 AM
3 threads / 2 songs
15 posts
United States of America
Kings: I never thought  of a virtual one - will look into it  - thanks!

For the s's - are you referring to the hissing or the tongue twister effect of it?

I have tried to change window, but I can't - so I've decided to keep it for the sake of the imagery. (Is it too pathetic?)

I don't really understand your comment on singing it differently, can you elaborate?

After some thought, I have taken your advice and changed the line to : "I know the cause lives down the block where we would always walk back then" - I couldn't delete a syllable so... yeah.

I will suggest that my guitarist (he) should join as well . Thanks for the advice!

Marino: Thank you for understanding its just a first run through. As I am typing... figuratively speaking since it's 4am, my guitarist and I are in the midst of putting distortion into the mix. I'm not sure it'll come out well - do any of you BA members know how to make good distortion come out in the recordings?

As for the struggled notes - I know especially at the end, this is the case. I can reach those levels, but I feel that I've sung it way too many times and by then, have indeed strained my voice - I will try to do it right in the next draft.

Which by the way... do I repost the song, or can I replace this one?
#9December 21st, 2007 · 03:20 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
Identityknown wrote…
Kings: I never thought  of a virtual one - will look into it  - thanks!

For the s's - are you referring to the hissing or the tongue twister effect of it?

I have tried to change window, but I can't - so I've decided to keep it for the sake of the imagery. (Is it too pathetic?)

I don't really understand your comment on singing it differently, can you elaborate?

After some thought, I have taken your advice and changed the line to : "I know the cause lives down the block where we would always walk back then" - I couldn't delete a syllable so... yeah.

I will suggest that my guitarist (he) should join as well . Thanks for the advice!

Marino: Thank you for understanding its just a first run through. As I am typing... figuratively speaking since it's 4am, my guitarist and I are in the midst of putting distortion into the mix. I'm not sure it'll come out well - do any of you BA members know how to make good distortion come out in the recordings?

As for the struggled notes - I know especially at the end, this is the case. I can reach those levels, but I feel that I've sung it way too many times and by then, have indeed strained my voice - I will try to do it right in the next draft.

Which by the way... do I repost the song, or can I replace this one?

You should leave this one up as a reference so members can see your improvements and changes you made with others advice. Simply call it Late Into The Night V2.0
#10December 21st, 2007 · 04:47 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Elaboration : Try talking the lyrics through a few times, this will give you a 'quieter' idea of the rhythm , lets you get to know the story within the music and where you should breath and alike, a good bit of advice I was once given was to 'sing as you talk' , not to go off on a high note because as you have proven here you come across a part of the song where you feel the need to go even higher but if you are already high all you have left are croaky breathless height to raise to!
Ideally, I believe one should hum and 'la da di' a song first and then fit the lyric to the 'humming' because then you get a true 'image' of the lyrical music.
As for singing it differently I meant just that , look for a slightly different tune or different stresses or different phrasing even. You've re-written that long line now so it might come out fine.
Yes the tongue twisting! lol you've done a good clear job of it all the way through but for the roll of those few words in the beginning, you can use this to your advantage as a vocalist if you are articulate enough, think of clever raps and other intelligent lyrical tongue-twisters / mind-bogglers , taking control of your words and their meaning is the vocalist job is it not ?

Yes ! re-post, not only do we (you and all) follow your development it's dead shit when members have commented on someones song and they decide to delete the whole lot
#11December 21st, 2007 · 05:55 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Late into the Night (WIP)
take the advice u needed
and progress to your next project
just dont get stuck here fer long

move on ...........next please

i look forward to next song........ bring it on

splash the fish
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 12:43 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.