#1December 14th, 2007 · 01:09 AM
4 threads / 3 songs
91 posts
Argentina
Hissy impromptu

This song is not in a battle

Two days ago, I was testing my sound card and tried recording something with just my piano and a cable to see what happened. As I thought, it gets very hissy. I need a new soundcard and this piece is nothing but a brief and simple impromptu. Maybe it's not even very original, but it's got its something.

If any of you knows how I can get over that hiss without distorting the piano sound, I will appreciate your help. Anyway, I wanted to post something to begin. Here it is. I hope you like it a little bit and know well to forgive the several errors. I'll post something that can challenge in the near future :P

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2December 14th, 2007 · 06:26 AM
15 threads / 12 songs
171 posts
Canada
This is very nice. To bad about the hiss! I would like to help you out with the issue, bit it's not something that I know anything about, though I'm sure that someone else on here will be able to help. So great work, welcome to the amp, and I look forward to hearing more!
#3December 14th, 2007 · 06:34 AM
6 threads / 6 songs
327 posts
United Kingdom
i wish i could help also as this peice is so delicate and lovely..hope you get it sorted,yes welcome...you have the right sound to me.. i am well sure you will go a long way...xxxxxxxx
#4December 14th, 2007 · 02:41 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
cool....
some people definately are searching for this sound
very good piano sound... is it real? a sound module? tell me what it is
good playing
lovely chords
any meaning behind this?

check where you connected the cable, it should be connected to line-in not mic-in
check your soundcard mixer. I guess there is a bad configuration of your settings
driver?
#5December 14th, 2007 · 04:36 PM
4 threads / 3 songs
91 posts
Argentina
Thank you, guys
People, thank you all very much for the feedback!
I am pretty sure this is all about static on the sound card. I did plug the piano to the line in, but I get this same result when I record my mic and even when I record from the internal synth chip to the DSP, even though the two of them are on board of the same soundcard!  I need a new one, I guess 
The piano sound is wave from my Korg. So in a way, it is real, but it is not an accoustic piano. It is not mapped on the computer, though: the whole of the song came through the cable altogether.
The meaning?  Not much. It's an impromptu and I just let go. I wanted, among other things, to test the sound card recording. Wish I had a studio where I could work a finer thing!
Thanks again 
#6December 14th, 2007 · 05:45 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
wow, very nice chilling piece, could be the hiss, i love it, lol, so well played and impromptu? you must be a pro or become one soon

i wish you had a studio too, ill try and get the hiss out of this for myself, u might try yourself or ask me if you want to hear the result
#7December 14th, 2007 · 07:32 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Hissy impromptu
This is the first time ive heard this (hiss) problem........
very interesting......
u dont say what your soundcard is????? program to record.........
yep its a wierd one ............. must be a simple answer though
do you get the hiss when listening to mp3's or similar???
follow Tritons advice first.......

I await outcome........... Oh and by the way nice music toooooooo!!!

splash the fish
#8December 14th, 2007 · 11:00 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Beautiful piece.great feel and execution!What sound card are you using?have you check the device manager to see what audio devices you have enabled.What are you using from the piano to the PC.Piano to what"Mixer?Usb?Direct to PC?Pm me when you can maybe we can sort this out!
#9December 14th, 2007 · 11:04 PM
4 threads / 3 songs
91 posts
Argentina
More info
MaxdB, I would love getting the result from you, if you can get over the hiss. Can you send it to me over here or do I need to you give you me e-mail?  How do we do?  I'm new!  Thanks for your help! 

Swordfish, I actually don't get the hissing at all when playing back either synth or wave, I only get it when recording no matter which input I choose. I know it is not a software problem because I have DOS and Linux as well as Windows and I get the same result on all of them. Curious I didn't get this problem before. My soundcard is an old classic SoundBlaster AWE64 ISA.

Marino, the soundcard is the one I just told Swordfish. Looks like you were typing while I was answering. I'm using a plus->plus cable (analog) from the line out on the keyboard to the line in on the soundcard.
#10December 15th, 2007 · 06:14 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Very very nice piece of music, I'm thoroughly enjoying it on this Saturday morning , thank you

I also wish you had a studio to record your stuff in !!!

Your hiss : My first thought is , new sound card , your AWE SB is getting on now.
I take it you have a mixer that came with the latest creative drivers, (I have a SB Live so I cant use Vista, no Drivers and when XP came out Creative only made a minimum software package), your not recording 'what you hear' are you?
I have a feeling that it's more than just a dodgy connection somewhere because it is not simply a hiss, it is also an echo of what your playing, so the card is 'hearing its self'. 

So sorry no suggestions but get a new card, you deserve it any way ! 
#11December 15th, 2007 · 06:43 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
re: More info
AndiRux wrote…
MaxdB, I would love getting the result from you, if you can get over the hiss. Can you send it to me over here or do I need to you give you me e-mail?  How do we do?  I'm new!  Thanks for your help! 

e-mail would be the way, mine is maximdb@gmail.com
Kings is right , its more then hiss alone, there is an distorted echo which makes crazy sounds in the back, so when i remove most of it, the piano sound will be damaged in hi regions,

to me its slightly nicer to hear , but i dont mind if a piano is not full off trebles, but has a more muffled sound, but the strange noises will remain distracting..., its your choice...

i think the processor has a hard time with the enormous dynamic of this piece, so i should chop it and give every piece  a different clean up, which will be audible,
in the end its best and fastest to play again with a new soundcard 

welcome anyway
#12December 15th, 2007 · 01:26 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Very nice feel, great playing, more please.!!

If its static, just open up your pc and touch the sound card, make sure the poer is TURNED OFF otrherwise you could damage your PC, and get out your vacuum cleaner and remove the as much dust as you can.

It simply could be your cable?

Rated

Denis
#13December 16th, 2007 · 12:56 AM
4 threads / 3 songs
91 posts
Argentina
I've been researching
Guys, thank you all. I've been doing some tests and I found somethings strange. I don't think it's static now. It's true that the hiss responds to what is being played, like an echo. I made a recording test in DOS and did not get the hiss. I remembered having gotten something like that on DOS before because it was with a microphone and that gets noise always in a bedroom and with a noisy powercooler and in the summer with my fan anyway, but it looks like it's not going to do that with the line-in. I don't have something like Cool Edit Pro for DOS, though and that makes it kind of complicated. I think I will anyway get use in a brand new soundcard!  I also need a more accoustic room if I want to try to record my voice as well.

MaxdB: My e-mail is cas.voyager@gmail.com. Thanks. I'll take note of yours!

I'll try to record something new without the noise soon and see what happens.
#14December 16th, 2007 · 06:32 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Andi : Good to hear your digging has brought some results.
Maybe you can answer me a question now,  ?
What do you mean when you say you record in DOS,?
Do you have programs / interface or do you use the PC as simply a gateway?
A friend of mine has had a studio set up for quite some years now and he still (I think) uses Cubase with the original Atari set-up. Should I be thinking on these lines with 'recording in DOS'?
#15December 21st, 2007 · 12:45 AM
4 threads / 3 songs
91 posts
Argentina
Recording in DOS
Kings, actually DOS is my main operating system. I have always hated windows and all the time did all possible to avoid using it. I had to install it anyway for stuff like connecting to the internet and burning CD's, but later on, I installed Linux and partially replaced the windows functions. Anyway, I do most of my stuff under DOS. I have my own application (that I programmed) to record audio. It is very, very simple, but it does what it is supposed to do. With that application, I do not get the hiss.
My DOS is on another partition. It's pure DOS. I don't use it in a DOS box or anything like that. It's fast, efficient, friendly and I have full control on my system. 
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 1:34 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.