Turn to Grey 2.1

This song is not in a battle

roughly the same mix but with the panning issue sorted

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2December 13th, 2007 · 07:40 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
sounding good     my only commentary aside from what's been mentioned in the original post for this song, is this:

Perhaps the ring-out chords are used too frequently in this mix?   The note is excellent, but it feels like church bells now, as it's done about every second and a half    Maybe it belongs in the chorus only?  That would help give it a better RING OUT 'CAUSE I'M SINGING MY HEART OUT feeling during the chorus. 

Perhaps you could work in the other intruments in the beginning a little more discretely.  They're sort of half-way bursting into the song... It's like they're trying to make an entrance, but it's not doing it with full force.  I take my idea back--- either make the intruments come in more or less agressively... as of right now, they're in between.  You don't HAVE to make the intruments be more discrete in their entrance to the song, but I'd say that you ought to push them one way or the other, as far as giving them more or less "gusto" , "wham" , "huzzah" , "here I come". 

It feels like a magician that got on stage and did a trick, but didn't do it with very much "presto", and so I feel like, yes, I should clap, but at the same time... I wish it could have been more stunning

Overall, it's a good idea you're going for, but I want it to either stir me gentle or bring me to life in a hurry... right now, it's in between.  Just my opinion.

Yay for kicking the fade-out from the mix   This isn't your final product anyway, according to your own thoughts and feelings left in the previous version's thread, so I'll overlook a little ending mistake for the sake of the song itself! 

I'm really liking this song, VincentL.. It's coming along nicely.
TLS
#3December 14th, 2007 · 05:57 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
this is a work in progress
Maybe I shouldn't  post song a a different stage of completion but hey! the feed back I get help me in the process
So all comments are welcome and someday I hope I'll be able to come out with a "finish" product that I'll be happy with and hopefully you too Ampers
so keep them coming Ampers please
#4December 14th, 2007 · 06:38 AM
6 threads / 6 songs
327 posts
United Kingdom
this is awsome!...i love it!..I think you have a great voice! great guitar playing.you have a true talent.its a song i know now..thankyou.. i will rate...xxxxxxxx
#5December 14th, 2007 · 02:34 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
the radio stations are full of music like this these days which is not bad at all.
I can hear a full arranged song with cool drums and distorted guitars (Green Day?)
the silence at 2:30 invites me to imagine a cool synth solo leading in the background until end

Nice composition, as you said a work in progress.... maybe one day you finish this thing
#6December 14th, 2007 · 04:58 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
You deleted the older one, so my comments on that are gone, but the fixes in the panning are very welcome.  The rest of the stuff seems the same, although I hear less hiss and muddiness in the recording, which is sweet.

I love this song.
#7December 14th, 2007 · 07:56 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Turn to Grey 2.1
Hey what anice song............
carried off well........

I comment on the mix if thats ok

the guitar is a little out of tune (just a tiny bit) but because of the repeated 'bell like' sound of the top E string the effect of it grows on me as the song progresses..so I ended up listening for it.........I could be wrong of course????

The vocals are great overall ................ but because of the guitar striking notes close to or at the same pitch as the vocal the voice occasionally 'sinks' into the guitar........... perhaps level/eq the voice to the front or pan it slightly to left or right to 'move it' away from that pinging E...... or push the guitar to one side?????

Hope this constructive

The Fish
#8December 14th, 2007 · 10:55 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Vincent I have to tell you I think you tried a bit to hard on this one.(LOL)The vocals got a bit buried and some of the clarity and definition is missing!Not sure what to tell you,I'm sure your worked hard on this mix version so i tell you this with all the respect in the world.As far as the song goes like I said before this is a hit!!!!
#9December 15th, 2007 · 01:13 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Vincent, this is a great song, as I said begre I think you could leave it as it is, most of your music is guitar and vox, this is your forte. There is not much more you can do to improve this, it's great. As TritonKeyboarder said there are songs like this on the radio, you are talented, so make the most of your talent and write another one like this.

I would only start to add other instruments etc unless you iether know how to, or start to collab with some good musicians, personally, I think you should just sing and play the guitar, maybe add some percussion.

BTW, I cant notice any separation in the pan, how many tracks have you got the guitar rhythm on, I normally record the guitar on two tracks and pan them at around 10 - 2 or wider. This will bring out your vox better.
If you have the guitar recorded on one track, simply copy and paste it, try a slightly different mix setting on each guitar channell it will give it a better stereo effect.

Rated

Denis
#10December 19th, 2007 · 08:33 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
thank you for all your advises (thanks Denis I will try what you said)
I have to say when I wrote this one it was meant to be electric song and the only reason I did an acoustic version is that it was easier for me to record it that way
I will rerecord this one the way I think it should be(saturated guitars and drums) as soon as I can get more time because I agree with Triton it would suit the mood of the song
#11January 29th, 2008 · 08:44 AM
12 threads / 8 songs
70 posts
South Africa
I love this
I really and truly love this song. I don't have the expertise to comment on technical issues and in some ways it seems unfinished but there is something in it that just absolutely grabs me. Lives on my ipod.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 29th, 2024 · 2:27 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.