#1November 8th, 2007 · 05:01 AM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
Centurion

This song is not in a battle

Full title- Centurion: Golden Warrior.
My attempted Drum 'n' Bass.
Heh, drum and bass. Things I needed to add to my music from my last song: Drum variations, and bass. I'm pretty happy with what I've got here, although I may have stifled any other activity by overloading the lower frequencies.
I've also add a touch of panning and effects, only a little bit, hard to notice.

This is an addition to my "Colour of Music" series, it's part number 5 (I'm not doing them in order by the way). It's also my submission to an audio contest held at newgrounds. For anyone interested, it's for DnB and Ambient genres and can be found here: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/806841

Hope you all enjoy this.

WritersBlock

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2November 8th, 2007 · 08:41 AM
6 threads / 6 songs
327 posts
United Kingdom
very catchy..like it.!!  i have a lot of this kinda music...its a great base on it...very proffesional..its really loud here lol..xxxwill rate..
#3November 8th, 2007 · 11:12 AM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Although this is nice and dark, Im afraid it doesnt really fit into the DnB catagory.  DnB is very specific about the way the drums are sequenced.  Having said that, this is a killer tune.  Very gamish (which is definately WB style)  Like what you did in the low end.  Good show man.  Keep it up!
#4November 8th, 2007 · 11:37 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
This most definitely isn't drum 'n bass.  The name is quite the misnomer, as it implies far more than having just a drum and bass center stage.

It's a little extreme on the drums, which are the weakest part of what is a pretty well-rounded track.  I don't know if this is true, but the instruments you have used sound very..."default".  A lot of the SimSynth presets, for example, sound almost exactly like many of your instruments.  This isn't as much a fault as it is an area to increase the character of your track.  Try to tweak the settings of the instruments or apply some effects to create a unique sound.

I have no idea if this is your first attempt at this stuff or not, but it's a good track; far better than my first attempt.  I'd love to hear more.
#5November 8th, 2007 · 02:36 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Hehe... nope, this isn't strictly D n B, but it can definately fit into a subgenre thereof. Indeed hearing that gaming music thing too, which is always enjoyable.

Hmm me in clubbing mood would definately not disengage the dancefloor if this would come along during a D n B party. Seriously - - this kicks a lot of ass and would be a welcome variation to what is generally being pumped out the p/a on such events.
#6November 8th, 2007 · 03:34 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I'm an old fart, I wouldn't know what Drum 'n' Bass would sound like?? LOL

I think PX summed up the style or feel in that of 'Gaming music', thats how it feels to me too.

All in all I like it, perhaps a little less on the snare

Will Rate

Denis
#7November 8th, 2007 · 04:09 PM
131 threads / 114 songs
295 posts
United Kingdom
big up the drum and bass massive!... technically while is isn't exactly drum and bass, it's close and it's very difficult to class drum an bass, it's specifically drum and bass oriented music, your confusing 2 step beats, with specifically being drum and bass, here are some examples of less orthodox drum and bass...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=84832626 - Disco Dodo by lynx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4UW_CNlkSs Current Value - Fear

infact i'd say the drums are pretty similar...

But yea nice track, nice style, keep it up m8!

-Taking over bandamp one base head at a time!
#8November 8th, 2007 · 04:47 PM
9 threads / 8 songs
207 posts
United Kingdom
Won't repeat whats already been said.  I'll just add that the bass is a big improvement on the last tune - im groovin to it here.  Drums still need work - I'm actually just setting out on a drum n' bass project right now and I understand your difficulty with the drums - its flipping difficult im findin! 
Keep em comin' tho!
Kobeshi
#9November 8th, 2007 · 07:21 PM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
Hey, thanks for the reviews everyone!
Yeah, I kinda figured that I probably could've added something else instead of just the drums and bass. I kind of got my idea of what DnB is from Newgrounds because they have a pretty large drum'n'bass section, but I haven't found too much info that helped me define DnB.
paganscradle: hey, glad you like it.

MindsAtPlay: What's wrong? I got the drums, got the bass, what else is there? Lol, ok I'll look into it a bit more, see if I can make some good proper DnB that gets your approval!

avinashv: Yeah, I've heard some (key word: some) DnB and listening back I could've added more higher end stuff, effects and junk. And yeah, I only really chucked effects onto the presets, I haven't quite gathered how to tweak the instruments to sound good, I can manage it now and then, but I'm still fairly dependent on presets.

PX: Yeah, one thing I've really been trying to capture in the music is a pumping vibe you can dance to, or at least nod your head to.

Denis: Yeah, drum'n'bass has confused me a little too, but it hasn't stopped me from trying! Maybe I'll have a clear defenition soon, and then I'll let you know too, eh?

Devo: Hey, thanks for those links, and I'm glad that you liked it.

Kobeshi: Hey, thanks, yeah I feel like I stepped up for this, the drums were kinda just random stuff thrown together, now, if I can just mesh the good parts of this with the good parts of the previous one, start tweaking instruments to sound more original, balance it out with some higher frequencies, and it'll be all right.

Thanks all for your advice, support, I really get a lot out of your comments.

WB
#10November 9th, 2007 · 07:13 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
I don't know if this D&B or B&D or whatnot!!!But this kicks a$$, great job.I found the bass sequence just awesome.The only thing would be to bring it down a bit to get a better balance in volume with the drums.Great job!
#11November 9th, 2007 · 08:17 PM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
Yeah, I probably could have used with a louder kick drum too. Thanks for the complements, I had fun toying around with the static bassline.

WB
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 24th, 2024 · 7:01 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.