1 2

#1November 6th, 2007 · 07:59 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Sake

This song is not in a battle

My nieghbour Pete died suddenly a few days ago, whom I've known for over 26 years.
His wife found him at home in bed, then suffered a mild heart attack. She is OK now.

This piece goes out to Pete's family.

Sorry for the background noise, fireworks night etc.

I dont think I could do this again, it simply wouldn't capture the emotion.

Bless.

Denis

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2November 6th, 2007 · 10:44 AM
6 threads / 6 songs
327 posts
United Kingdom
gosh !
thats awful,sorry to hear about that..you have captured a feeling there...its very emotional and moving. 26 years is a long while to know someone.. my heart goes out to his wife and family..and you...love this peice. will rate...do i sense a sign of hope in there?
#3November 6th, 2007 · 12:58 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
hey, man-- this is really good.  i like the way it moves from section to section, particularly at 2:00.  it makes me think of some bagpipe music that i've been listening.  it's good because it doesn't last too long and change the mood.  it's great how it goes back into the initial tone.

I think you've certainly captured the emotion.  I agree about not remaking a recording.  it would turn the song into a work-oriented piece of showcase, whereas you mean it to be an expression.

but of wishes to the wife, and to yourself as well.  losing someone is a sting from the world we can't see from here.  i don't mean to turn any of this to a topic outside of music, but i know you'll all meet up with your friend again one day; friends are too important not to.

TLS
#4November 6th, 2007 · 01:09 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
wow, thats really sad. death can strike sudden and without warning... the confrontation leaves one shocked and confused and full of thoughts and feelings that seemed so far away at first. but as tears pass away, something really strong remains, and that's also what I'm hearing in your piece. best of wishes to the family, and to you too.

it's great that you managed to put a powerful piece out, driven by the given emotions. it's really strong. keep the good memories alive from time to time.
#5November 7th, 2007 · 04:31 AM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
wow
really powerful emotional stuff.

I really like the different aspects to it, there's a great depth to this piece, very memorable.

Thank you for sharing this with us.
#6November 7th, 2007 · 05:46 AM
5 threads / 5 songs
590 posts
United Kingdom
im really sorry to hear about your friend, that is very sad.

but i love your music, coupled with the knowlegde that its creation comes from such deep emotions makes it very powerful. Its captivating, and honestly gave me that wierd spine tingling feeling.  I love the different sections the music goes through, almost like a story.

All the best

Ian
#7November 7th, 2007 · 04:51 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Sake
no words ...................

regards and a prayer

jmt

fish
#8November 7th, 2007 · 07:55 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Very lovely, almost epic!  Sorry to hear it, Denis.
#9November 29th, 2007 · 09:16 PM
14 threads / 14 songs
232 posts
United States of America
I think it would have been nicer without the second guitar figure and a lack of percussion. Oh kay. Well, you start off 0-40 with some really slow and synqed stuff. Puts you in the mood for 40-1:25. Which was kind of difficult to pick out a real powerful change, but then you kind of kill it for me with the up tempo irish/scottish sounding stuffs at 1:53. Not really against it, but the feel seemed to be Spanish/Mexican and then you turned it into something that I played when I focused classically. 2:30 back to the slow mariachi smilin’ playin’. There are a few more changes, after this that are minor and really ok. I really like the solo work around ~3:30-412 where you go back to the sliding riff. 4:44 you change that to a more southern rock (almost bluesy) approach to the solo. This change makes sense with the feel of the song, it really does. I really wish you would have ended there before that last change at ~6:20.

Ok, it’s a long song and I broke it up for a reason.

0-40
As far as intros goes, this is really perfect. The rapid bass line fits, and like I said I would filter the percussion but the bass is fine. I really like the repeated note it gives an emotional feel, and at about 30, you go a little lower and come back to it. This sets the mood for the rest of the piece and flows flawlessly into

40-125
Which has a little more complex fingerwork. Really smooth stuff here. There isn’t any percussion and it really went fine. For me this was the second most enjoyable bit of the song, I  may even get out my guitar and try to learn it by ear so I can say, hey there is this guy named Denis on bandamp, he plays like this. The change into

1:25-1:53 is a little more abrupt but it works fine for me. I can appreciate the slides and even the moods, but the transfer to

1:53-2:30 is too abrupt. For me, at least, the mood is ruined. Maybe it’s the addition of the synth, which really may be it. If it was just guitar I might be able to just sit and go along with it, but the change really was too abrupt, I was kind of confused. Now, don’t get me wrong. I like the tune here, and the feel, but it seems to much of a striking contrast. Now, if we’re looking at it from a artistic perspective of this guys life influencing you, then this part being his “life” would make sense, being roughly in the middle. But it and of itself was too short for me to make that connection as little more than a guessing leap at why the section is in there. Furthermore, the exit back to the mainstream bit of the song is also abrupt.

2:30 on
The finger work you do before the bluesy stuff really touched me. It made me sad, it was (for me) the most emotional piece of the song and perhaps the best bit. It really got me into a sad state. But you followed it up with 100% pure cool good stuff. Really mellow “I know how to do this, and I enjoy it” rock. Followed by the outro back to the mariachiness.
#10November 29th, 2007 · 10:57 PM
4 threads / 3 songs
13 posts
United States of America
As beautiful as this is, I have a ton of things to say. Dark covered most of them, but as it's been mentioned before, it wouldn't capture the emotion near as much if you re-recorded it so I'm just going to say this is a beautiful piece. I enjoy listening to it very much.
#11November 30th, 2007 · 02:39 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Dark wrote…
I think it would have been nicer without the second guitar figure and a lack of percussion. Oh kay. Well, you start off 0-40 with some really slow and synqed stuff. Puts you in the mood for 40-1:25. Which was kind of difficult to pick out a real powerful change, but then you kind of kill it for me with the up tempo irish/scottish sounding stuffs at 1:53. Not really against it, but the feel seemed to be Spanish/Mexican and then you turned it into something that I played when I focused classically. 2:30 back to the slow mariachi smilin’ playin’. There are a few more changes, after this that are minor and really ok. I really like the solo work around ~3:30-412 where you go back to the sliding riff. 4:44 you change that to a more southern rock (almost bluesy) approach to the solo. This change makes sense with the feel of the song, it really does. I really wish you would have ended there before that last change at ~6:20.

Ok, it’s a long song and I broke it up for a reason.

0-40
As far as intros goes, this is really perfect. The rapid bass line fits, and like I said I would filter the percussion but the bass is fine. I really like the repeated note it gives an emotional feel, and at about 30, you go a little lower and come back to it. This sets the mood for the rest of the piece and flows flawlessly into

40-125
Which has a little more complex fingerwork. Really smooth stuff here. There isn’t any percussion and it really went fine. For me this was the second most enjoyable bit of the song, I  may even get out my guitar and try to learn it by ear so I can say, hey there is this guy named Denis on bandamp, he plays like this. The change into

1:25-1:53 is a little more abrupt but it works fine for me. I can appreciate the slides and even the moods, but the transfer to

1:53-2:30 is too abrupt. For me, at least, the mood is ruined. Maybe it’s the addition of the synth, which really may be it. If it was just guitar I might be able to just sit and go along with it, but the change really was too abrupt, I was kind of confused. Now, don’t get me wrong. I like the tune here, and the feel, but it seems to much of a striking contrast. Now, if we’re looking at it from a artistic perspective of this guys life influencing you, then this part being his “life” would make sense, being roughly in the middle. But it and of itself was too short for me to make that connection as little more than a guessing leap at why the section is in there. Furthermore, the exit back to the mainstream bit of the song is also abrupt.

2:30 on
The finger work you do before the bluesy stuff really touched me. It made me sad, it was (for me) the most emotional piece of the song and perhaps the best bit. It really got me into a sad state. But you followed it up with 100% pure cool good stuff. Really mellow “I know how to do this, and I enjoy it” rock. Followed by the outro back to the mariachiness.

Hey Dark,

This is the most detailed reiview anybody had written for me, other than Avi, who also makes very detailed reviews. When somebody goes to this much trouble to review a song, I immediatly have respect for that person. So many of us will review a song and have tons of thoughts, but just cant be bothered to comment.

This is an excellent review.

Thanks you for taking the time and pointing out specifics in the song.

RESPECT

Denis
#12November 30th, 2007 · 06:28 AM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
you have a lot going on in this song....you have changed the pace/flow up pretty good......Emotional ?  That goes w/o saying Denis....I'm so sorry to hear about your friends death and I hope his wife gets along well...your a great guy to compose this song...for your Friend

I dont think you need to do this again....and I dont think you could capture the same feeling that you have

Flyer

Will Rate
#13November 30th, 2007 · 06:58 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
This piece is excellent.Heart felt emotion.Sorry about your friend and my condolences.This is one great piece of work.The detailing is great but the guitar is just perfect.Denis your my hero man!
#14November 30th, 2007 · 07:32 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Denis, sorry to hear about your friends passing away.
It always takes time for those around to put it all in perspective.
Your lament is simply awesome. I can feel the tears.
The fact that you've managed to remember joyous aspects of his life with in such a sad song makes it all the greater.
The percussion definitely give it a 'shamanistic' feel, and your guitar is pure emotion.
Even though this is a unique recording I disagree about playing it again. It may be an 'epic' piece to do but spirits don't die , each time you would play this you would capture its soul every time again and again.
What an amazing song, as I said your guitar is pure emotion.
#15December 1st, 2007 · 12:48 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
This will be the shortest review I ever write for you Denis:

The emotion is so raw and so captivating, that I completely phased into the song.  I stopped everything I was doing and was mesmerized.  I don't want to say anything more than that I hear you.  True emotion.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 9:15 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.