#1October 30th, 2007 · 02:33 PM
2 threads / 2 songs
6 posts
United Kingdom
Another Page

This song is not in a battle

Well this song brings back some good memories and some really bad ones too!  But it taught me some valuable lessons about being a sound engineer, producer and musician.  There's a bit of a story behind it all, so if you're interested, here it is!

This is a song I did for a college project.  It's kinda odd because I needed to record, engineer and produce a song at a "pro" level by myself, and my dad wanted to record this chord sequence he wrote about a week after the assignment was given to me.  So to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, I convinced him to turn it into a song by adding a bridge part, a double tracked Spanish guitar solo and some form of structure, as well as let me put a drum loop to it and play bass along with him.  He loved it just as it was but I had to display all these other skills (like midi recording/editing, advanced microphone techniques, automation of panning/levels and use of effects and dynamic processors) or i wouldn't get a good grade.  So I took the master WAV files home to my flat come make shift studio, and added loads of effects, automation, a whole midi orchestra from Reason and made it sound absolutely awesome after about 2 days of working on it solid.  I went to mix it down and Cubase went nuts, crashed my laptop and I lost all the extra work I'd put into it!!

I managed to find some of the original files and settings again that i had written down on bits of paper, cigarette packets and post-it notes, but it never sounded quite as good.  This song is that version.  I hope you don't mess up and make the same mistakes as me.  Any way I hope you enjoy listening to this as much as I hated mixing it.....  this really is the song that got away!

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2October 30th, 2007 · 02:42 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Wow, great production, would have loved to heard the version before your system crashed!!!

Love the blend of instruments.

James Blunt vox would go real nice with this.

Quality stuff me 'ol china.

Will rate

Denis
#3October 31st, 2007 · 12:52 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
I concur
The quality is exceptional, I too would have loved to hear the version that got away...  Wait, I think I see it, sneaking away with the left sock. Dang it. Now another mateless sock. crap.

JimK
#4October 31st, 2007 · 02:16 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Very nice quality recording - the whole thing has been mastered very well to my ears (with just a little too much emptiness in there, which I'll excuse and put down to the "missing" instrumentation!)

I like the simple structure and the choice of instrumentation.
Drums are a little tedious, and need variety to make the piece shine out more and provide more general dynamics.

And... I think it's crying out for vocals.  Not sure about James Blunt though!!!  lol

#5May 3rd, 2009 · 10:14 AM
4 threads / 3 songs
17 posts
United States of America
ANOTHER PAGE
Great work! Need vocals though. I hear this having a Whitey Ford style vox.Sorta half spoken half sung. Just my opinion. I'm no vocalist, but the mix is awesome.
#6May 3rd, 2009 · 04:13 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Another Page
song not got away..................

Its just lying there waiting to be finished!!!

haha

so put it out of its misery???

Fish
#7May 10th, 2009 · 07:18 AM
3 threads / 2 songs
9 posts
Fiji Islands
dude, we are the same age and i would get smashed by you!!
lol im glad ive joined bandAMP, im gonna learn so much yo!!!! woohoo
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 8:43 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.