#1October 7th, 2007 · 07:19 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
Find the Words Ins

This song is not in a battle

Hi all!

This is my latest creation. It is the full instrumental version of the Piano riff I uploaded earlier (this time without my horrible vocals I'm going to leave those to  James)!

Anyway I am quite happy with this and I feel it is perhaps the best mix I have done. However I really would like some feedback from you all - if there is anything you don't like about this mix and you can think of anything I could do to make it sound pr0 then please let me know!!!

Drums were done using a MIDI keyboard and Battery. Piano was also played rather than sequenced. Acoustic guitars were recorded using AT4040 condenser and an outboard compressor/exciter. The tambourine on the chorus was also recorded in the same way.

Bass was recorded DI through the Boss GT-8.

The track was then mastered.

I hope you like this piece

Thanks all

Dave

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2October 7th, 2007 · 08:18 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
yes, this mix is fresh...the instruments are clearly defined, the mix is full, with adequate "bottom and top" and everything in-between. I like the mood of this song. It has a pleasant, lively feeling to it. Evokes a feeling of "awakening". However, I have one criticism: the execution seems a bit too automated at times (I suspect the repetitive, staccato and quite pronounced bass line may contribute to this effect - perhaps some variation here could enhance this piece... imho, of course). Otherwise, a typically expert piece of work from you!
#3October 8th, 2007 · 05:06 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
fresh sound indeed! but to my ears the bass is booming  a bit...as soon as it comes in i loose the nice basedrum..

i listened on my monitors only( yamaha msp5/m-audio audiophile) so could it be my set up?

anyway, nice tune, but i kept expecting a lead guitar to come in all the time
#4October 8th, 2007 · 08:34 AM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
no I agree with u both, thanks for the comments!
the staccato base was intentional to support the kick. there is actually a fair bit of EQ to separate them, so i think simply put the bass is just too loud! this is in turn triggering the compressor used in mastering, stifling the kick.
Ill make that
change when I add vox.
... and Ive left out lead guitar because I want the vox to 'lead' this track, supported by the piano
#5October 8th, 2007 · 10:13 AM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
Dave  .. all I can say is that it sounds good to me...you know where I stand on all this tech stuff..I like the music a lot here Dave..this is a really good beat..the piano sounds crisp...well it all sounds crisp...I heard the other version... and I don't think your vocals were horrible at all..just need a lil work..Ill be looking for the cut with Jame's vox...nice work Dave

Flyer

Will Rate
#6October 8th, 2007 · 12:14 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
I think the mix and master needs a lot of work: the percussion is very unbalanced with the rest of the track, as is the bass.  The percussion is also panned too wide for the rest of the track.  I'd center the percussion more, center the piano less, leave the guitars as is and either turn down the bass by 50% or remove it entirely.  From what I've seen, you usually have a much better ear for this.  As for recording quality, again, you usually have that down pat.

Composition wise I really like it: you've got a good structure and a nice melody built up with the piano.  I don't like the bassline; some variation in rhythm and playing away from just banging on the root note of the base chord might add some drama to the mix.  Right now, without a lead instrument---basically vocals or a guitar---it's a little repetitive, but that is expected.  I see a few solo opportunities, as well as a clearly defined structure for a lyricist to write too.  I'd be interested to see if you or someone else decides to pick it up.
#7October 8th, 2007 · 02:40 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
327 posts
United Kingdom
i like it......
your very talented...i liked listening to it and will listen to it again.. will rate.x
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 24th, 2024 · 12:39 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.