#1September 16th, 2007 · 09:19 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Review uke/mand for JBP

This song is not in a battle

This is a post for JBP,  I must first apologize for I know not how to play a 6 string Tenor Ukulele, but I tried.. I found it quite pleasant in tone, and feels very nice in my hands... The strings are very new, and have to be tuned quite often.. I figure they will settle down some after a while.. Nylon are always that way.. The first 5 minutes of this track are nothing but the 6 string Lanikai Tenor Uke.. And my pitiful attempt at playing it... 

The next 5 minutes are with the Epiphone MandobirdIV.. This is one beast of a Mando.. Although I am more in my zone with a mando, I found the lack of the double courses a bit challenging.. I must say that for certain applications though, having only 4 strings on a mando can have it's advantages.. And plugged into some distortion it has some incredible crunch..  This thing can rock and roll like no mando I've ever played...  It is incredible... The pickup is warm an inviting clean, and stone cold rock and roll dirty..  As you can hear...  The neck is very smooth and nice.. I like the shape and the size of it.. it makes it very easy to play.. action came set up well, and the intonation was spot on.. The strings are actually pretty nice too, usually the first thing to go is the stock strings, but I kind of liked these...  Anyway, I hope you like this review JBP.. 

JimK

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2September 16th, 2007 · 09:38 PM
17 threads / 3 songs
185 posts
United States of America
very nice.  I love the tones these instruments have.. pretty decent playing considering you said you hadn't played on em before..  nice melody lines also  very pleasing to listen too..
very good job
Greg
gets good vote
#3September 17th, 2007 · 05:12 AM
29 threads / 14 songs
355 posts
Poland
hell yeah, jim! I love 'em. I have just fallen in love with their sounds.
your playing is great, and i feel envoius at times about it, so donot ever say it's pityful.
Thank you for being such a great true friend to me and doing all that out of no special interest.
You are the greatest. And I mean it.

Thank you
I cant' wait to have them.
Wow.
#4September 17th, 2007 · 01:34 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
JimK I love your mp3 encoder. Background noise is awesome... and hey... there is a ukulele. bit japanese. If you mentioned that its a great tune!!! really!!!
I am missing the old times with songs like "Flatulence....."
#5September 17th, 2007 · 02:18 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
12 posts
United Kingdom
Whhaaa, my first review!!
Even though ive heard your music before, ive only just got an account on bandamp, ive been working with daveUK on some things.  But have been meanng to message you.

To the track.....

I love the way you start off picking at the instrument, its as if  your expressing curiosity with the instrument initially, then it breaks in to a beautiful tune, kind of reminds me of being lazy in the sun :-) and yeah the first part does have a kind of oriental feel to it.

I dont know much about recording...im more here to learn as a novice, sounds like at some points the music clips, but i do like the rawness....which to be fair is a very honest way to record.

Good work :-)

(and thanks for the usefull pointers on daveuk's account ) 
#6September 17th, 2007 · 02:27 PM
5 threads / 5 songs
590 posts
United Kingdom
im sold, lol. do u just tune the uke to standard guitar tuning been as it has 6 strings?
 both instruments sound very nice. i know how small the fingerboard is on a mandolin so well done for playing lead on it. love from 7.00, sounds folky.

cool

Ian
#7September 17th, 2007 · 03:05 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I would love to get my hands on one of these. Love the sound!!

I like your diversity, everything you create is so different and interesting.

I would love you to add some hall reverb to this, not too much, just enough for it to cut through.

Nice touch for JBP.

Will rate

Denis
#8September 26th, 2007 · 11:22 PM
2 threads / 2 songs
12 posts
United States of America
kick ass mandolin!!!!
ukulele was alright but it did not prepare me for the awesome mandolin sequence at the second half. you rock!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 4:54 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.