49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
Calling Time almost final
Please vote for this song !
Current votes: 10 (needs min. 15)
It’s in the battle 2007-09

Hi guys

This is the almost final version of a song I uploaded earlier under the title 'acting different' but I've decided it should be Calling Time.

Previous criticisms were that the bass and drums didnt have enough clarity, so both have been boosted in the mix.

Also, people said that James didnt have enough oomph in his delivery. Well he has really gone for it this time!

We've changed the melodies a little, namely the chorus and the addition of a quite emo-esque multi-vocal bridge.

I really like this version but if you have any criticisms please let us know because we are so close!

Also here are James' lyrics because I think they are awesome!!!

Another drunk escapade but you're not having fun
Have i said something stupid?
Would you rather move on to the next bar
Or the next guy thats caught your eye
As you stare out the window, to the taxi rank

You seem distracted, checking the calls on your phone
You're putting walls up now with a distance thats left me alone
Although im not, thats how it feels right now
As I feel you slipping through my fingers
Im calling time, im calling time.

As the night takes its toll
My suspicious unfold
You claim you're under the weather girl as I
Watch you down another vodka and coke
A few lines and a toke
Am I not getting through to you?

You seem distracted, checking the calls on your phone
You're putting walls up now with a distance thats left me alone
Although im not, thats how it feels right now
As I feel you slipping through my fingers...

And I'm left calling time
Lets end our misery
Its all that I can do
what the hell is wrong with you?

You've been like a stranger
You're closing off doors that you might just regret
Im not sure its the way that you wanted things to be
But I'm calling time

Lets end our misery
Its all that I can do
What the hell is wrong with me?

Lets end on misery
Its all that I can do
What the hell is wrong with me and you?

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2September 6th, 2007 · 08:54 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
First let me say
Though I am a bit late, WELCOME BACK! I always enjoy the songs you post.. Now, on to this song, I must agree with you, that James's Lyrics are just amazing, and I'm not just saying that because we share a common name..  But, let me also say, The recording quality is excellent. And I love the whole sound and feel of the track..

And I think the mix is SPOT ON.. I wouldn't change a thing... Fantastic..

JimK
#3September 7th, 2007 · 10:52 AM
9 threads / 8 songs
34 posts
South Africa
I would bring the vocals up a bit; they seem distant, and that probably contributes to the lack of "oomph" that people commented on.

Also, perhaps you could add more guitars in the chorus to give it more of an arena feel?  It's a matter of taste, though.
#4September 7th, 2007 · 12:48 PM
20 posts
United States of America
Remingds me of too many nights out
So you get a high score and a save. I love the lyrics seriously, they are so correct and you perform them in a champion way.

Thanks
Eric
#5September 7th, 2007 · 03:49 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
This is a great song, don't know of the previous comments made.

I would look at the vocal mix, just think it's the eq, perhaps you've played around with it too much.

I find with the vox the most important is your mic position, which will vary on which mic your using and the dynamics of your voice. the simple way is to experiement with it dry until your happy with the distance from the mic, try and get a good eq, I'm sure you already know the nearer you get to the mic the more bass and vice versa, the same for the acoustics in the room and ambience. Once you've done that you may have to fine tune the eq.

Everything else sounds real cool to me

Denis
#6September 7th, 2007 · 05:31 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Nice, although i agree with all the vocal comments....  Great mix!  i like the placement of all the instruments involved...  everything is nice and clear.  At 1:34 a heavy lead comes in but seems to be lacking some punch?  Perhaps some bottom end to phatten things up would help?  Very nice tune!  A little spit and polish and I could hear this on the radio!

EDIT: Yeah, i voted and will revote...but you might keep in mind that the battle is broken.
#7September 7th, 2007 · 06:05 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
hi guys, thanks for the comments!!

the reason the vocals are perhaps a little tinny is because there is a fair allowance of BBE sonic maximiser which in this track I find helps the vocals cut through the mix. perhaps next time I will dial the volume a little higher and reduce the sonic maximiser so that the cut through is similar but more warmth is retained.

yes I am aware of the proximity effect of dynamic mics like the Shure SM57 (which I use) and I spent alot of work with EQ but I will look to incorporate some more vocal bottom end as suggested here in my next mixes

I agree the guitars could do with a little more bottom end - however the track was produced with a little more 'punk' guitar feel so there is more midrange and the guitars are very tightly compressed. the lower frequencies are thus preserved for the bass?

thanks all!
#8September 7th, 2007 · 06:21 PM
9 threads / 8 songs
207 posts
United Kingdom
Great tune you got going here - wouldnt be surprised to hear a version of this on the radio!  Class.
Only criticism id make (and this may just be my headphones - just moved house so dont have my speakers yet) is that during the heavy guitar section the drums really fell back in the mix.  And im gonna agree with Dktuner's comment about the guitar istelf during that section - just needs something more to really add some punch. 
Great song tho - keep in mind the comments above are just being realllyy picky, seeing as you asked for feedback! High rating!!!
#9September 7th, 2007 · 11:16 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
I think this is really awesome song.For my taste everything sounds fairly well balanced but I still find the heavy guitars a bit synthetic and there's also a bit of a vocal noodle at a about 2 06 to 2 10 compared to the awesome performance given in the rest of the song.

great job regarless!
#10September 8th, 2007 · 02:47 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
hey guys, thanks so much for the comments. will definitely bear them in mind for future recordings. also I know that the bridge goes a little askew but I deliberately kept that in because of the rawness of it... although maybe a bad idea?

ive just stuck this in the battle for a laugh as its been a long time since I entered one!... please rerate if you have already done so because it is not showing any ratings?

thanks
#11September 9th, 2007 · 10:47 AM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
Man  this is sweet...everything is top notch  but one thing .. 
I think the vocals need to be in the front more...other then that
this is going on my playlist...
Sometime the Ratings lag.. I dont know why

Flyer

Will Rate
#12December 5th, 2007 · 09:37 PM
15 threads / 12 songs
171 posts
Canada
Great tune! Very upbeat!
#13December 9th, 2007 · 09:54 PM
37 threads / 25 songs
237 posts
United States of America
man....i always liked your style dave ....well done ...nice structure...
just a suggestion..but maybe get with triton to add some keys?
just a thougt.....btw ,,,the chorus or bridge...kicks ass

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 9:24 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.