#1September 4th, 2007 · 02:10 AM
4 threads / 4 songs
20 posts
Slovakia
Father & Son

This song is not in a battle

Last of our demo songs. Noisy, toxic guitars, effected urgent vocal.  Comments and ideas are welcomed.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2September 4th, 2007 · 01:51 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
bit difficult to listen to this song (to my ears) but.....
production is very good and clear
I wouldn't change anything cause it's a song of its genre.
well done
#3September 4th, 2007 · 03:08 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Triton :
bit difficult to listen to this song (to my ears) but.....
production is very good and clear
I wouldn't change anything cause it's a song of its genre.
well done

I was also trying to sell that one to my self but I still don't buy it!
Yes the genre takes up most of the performance but I still think that the vocal, though having a wonderful Eddy Vedder (Pearl Jam) mumbling mask to them, were frustratingly inaudible for some reason.
But I love the guitar sound it has a real edge to it.
Good song but for vocal having too many hands in front of the microphone.
#4September 4th, 2007 · 03:48 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Father & Son
k as i hear .........blurred intro
clear vocs .....nice
wot is the point??..............lyrics away with the mixer
i stop after 2:00
not my cup of tea
good production
vote high as song well done.........sense of structure good ,,,,,,,,,overall good
as per guide to rating songs
the fish
#5September 4th, 2007 · 03:58 PM
5 threads / 5 songs
590 posts
United Kingdom
again, this is really high quility music.
 one thing i've noticed from ur demo songs; you seem to have a different voice for each song. Imo it would be good to keep the same voice for each song, to tie the songs together and to develop a sound thats distinguishable, so anyone can instantly reckognise you.

high marks

Ian
#6September 4th, 2007 · 03:58 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Great song again,

I would like to hear a clear vox.

Sound not as good as the others??

Still a good song, just the sound production not as good as others.

Will rate.

Denis
#7September 5th, 2007 · 02:06 PM
4 threads / 4 songs
20 posts
Slovakia
Thanks for comments.

I'd like to attach quick mix down, which was done, before final mix, for comparison, but I don't know how to do it and link it here.
#8September 5th, 2007 · 03:52 PM
17 threads / 3 songs
185 posts
United States of America
I think this one would do a lot better with a different mix as far as panning is concerned... your stereo field seems narrowed for some reason.. doesn't have as good as separation in the mix... guitars sounds cool but I think the bass gtr needs to blend better and have a little more dynamic punch to help kick this song along (I can hear it but it's not what I would call "in the mix"   in fact the whole low end seems pulled back like someone used a multi band compressor and backed the low end out of it and left the mids and highs about even..(could be done on purpose i guess)

overall I like the song.... cool vocals again with very unique singing style
very cool guitar lines in this I love the aggravated sound they have
drum mix is pretty good  (needs a little more punch)
Bass playing is fine  but imho needs more punch and up in mix just a tad

another fine song from you guys  what is that 4 or 5 
would love to hear more  hope you go and record some more songs soon.
gets high vote.
greg
#9September 6th, 2007 · 07:41 AM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
Sounds like a good song...just not a very good mix or recording

Flyer

Will Rate
#10September 6th, 2007 · 08:09 AM
4 threads / 4 songs
20 posts
Slovakia
Ok. here is premix (quick mixdown after recording) http://www.urldock.com/jeronimos-machines/premix/father-son-premix.mp3

Low mix. Few effects.
#11September 6th, 2007 · 08:20 AM
17 threads / 3 songs
185 posts
United States of America
different version
it's a little cleaner to my ears... I still feel that the kick is lacking .....i can hear the upper freq fine and can "feel" it but it feels like 80 to 140 hz has been backed out just a bit...same with the bass guitar ..I can feel it and hear it but imho it is lacking some low end ....I'm comparing it to the mid upper mid freq's that are there from the vox and guitars.. ..this is not a critique as probably more of a personal taste that I like... more of a flat eq'ing  across the sound spectrum..   I still like the song a lot it ...nice groove to it..... can't help but move my feet to it ....

again great job it's sounds good I'm just being picky .....
#12September 6th, 2007 · 08:28 AM
4 threads / 4 songs
20 posts
Slovakia
last thing we can do about it is go to studio and re-record or re-mix

but good comments and ideas.

thanks
#13September 7th, 2007 · 09:18 AM
66 threads / 66 songs
153 posts
Italy
energetic sound. jack
#14September 7th, 2007 · 01:33 PM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
yes its not a great production/mastering job but its a cool musically. I like it!!

I personally think it's overcompressed.... and the vocals could have done with an exciter / sonic maximiser and a different reverb to cut through. As it is they have too much midrange and not enough presence which means despite the volume level being great they lack clarity in the mix. Sidechaining the vocals into a shared compressor for those beefy guitars would help.

In fact, I think the main problem with this track is that the bass is cool. The drums are cool. The vocals are infact recorded ok. Someone just seemed to do the guitars wrong (not hard!) which has made the mix too muddy. The guitars don't sound bad for the musical style - its more that they need to be listened to in the context of the whole mix.

If you do ever get the chance to go back into the studio and rerecord - make sure you get an engineer that doesn't try too hard to make it sound 'good', rather than accurate. Tired ears tell a long story, and It's quite clear that volume and fat compression were used to compensate for problematic mixdown work, which means the track sounds beefy but lacks clarity. Just my opinion - sorry it was a long one! And please don't think this is intended as negative because the track is great I'm just trying to be constructive about the final sound

If you get a chance to upload the premix to a working link I'd like to listen to it.
#15September 7th, 2007 · 02:22 PM
4 threads / 4 songs
20 posts
Slovakia
It's uploaded there. It was deleted for a short time.

http://www.urldock.com/jeronimos-machines/premix/father-son-premix.mp3

The truth is that this song was mixed/mastered as the last one and with time/budget pressure,  that's
the main reason it sounds like it sound I think
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 6:57 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.