#1August 11th, 2007 · 04:28 PM
19 threads / 15 songs
84 posts
United States of America
Slow Dance

This song is not in a battle

Finally, another original. This was conceived as a baroque synthesizer piece. It is a scratch mix: I am still smoothing out the changes. The echoes in this are intended as a compositional element, and are difficult to control precisely. I have thus far rejected three different attempts to give this percussion: it always sounds forced thus far. In any case I hope you like it!

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2August 11th, 2007 · 10:36 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
Nice recording..it sounds good on my PC
Have you ever thought of making music for video games?
This could qualify as a nice piece of music for such...I think this sounds nice...good work

Flyer

Will Rate
#3August 11th, 2007 · 11:24 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Hope you understand
Please dont take this the wrong way,

But after reading all your posts on theory, and scales I would have expected something a bit less elementary, although, I think if done using much better sound samples, I think this could be more enjoyable... I really do here some interesting elements...  But as Flyer said, right now, I think it's very suited for video games...  You really need to try to get some better sounds..... BTW, let me also add, I don't think I could do much at all like this from scratch.. I am not real good at programming midi... so, I think even something elementary is good, but I figured you would give us some unique progression that was unfamiliar... That is all I am meaning by this...

JimK
#4August 12th, 2007 · 04:31 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I would build on what you have, although I would break up the melody and the melody behind it, so there is some room to breath for you to create around it.

Perhaps some stringy synth sounds could go with it with some gentle percussion.

The echo sounds OK to me?

It has some orental influences which are nice.

Denis
#5August 12th, 2007 · 10:15 AM
19 threads / 15 songs
84 posts
United States of America
Ear me out
Thanks for the feedback. I made  this simpler offering as some of my more theoretical pieces just don't sound very good. This one, for all its flaws stuck in my head, which is why I got it into even a simple A A B A form.

JimK, I know I need better sounds. I am desperate for them, but my budget currently runs to free VST's and the free lifetime upgrades to FL Studio I already bought. It is a little harder programming original melodies than hammering out a piece of sheet music. Worse, I am still working on a Pentium II box which freezes up when my tunes get too complex. I often resort to exporting MP3's just to preview the results of my edits.

Denis - you are right this would want gentle percussion. I am still choosing samples. For whatever reason this is pretty easy to overpower with drums, which is why I tried for a standalone for displaying the melody first. I will experiment with strings as soon as I find one that goes a little better with this.

I may have forgotten to mention, but the baseline I composed on the guitar in an Open A tuning, so as to explain the simplistic sound. The upper melodies initially were an attempt to capture the fleeting noises I heard the guitar make while I was playing the baseline. Once I started entering the notes in the piano roll and started working with the echo it took on a life of its own.
#6August 13th, 2007 · 11:45 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
I find this pretty enjoyable.. It does indeed remind me of some abstract, hypnotic video game from way back when... I believe there was the C-64 game called "Moon Dust" or so.. It had a tune based on notes that would play random, but all fitted in one key, and then every so many seconds the key shifted... creating a very psychedelic half-random type of tune that would never be the same. Anyway it must be the synthy delay/reverb reminding me of that tune, aswell as the basic rhythm in which it is played.

I really do enjoy this. It invokes a lot of images, and that is good.

I'd love to hear what more you can do. It oughta be good having read your posts in the forums...
#7August 13th, 2007 · 07:40 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
re: Ear me out
Stringbreaker wrote…
Thanks for the feedback. I made  this simpler offering as some of my more theoretical pieces just don't sound very good. This one, for all its flaws stuck in my head, which is why I got it into even a simple A A B A form.

Hey, post em up, let us be the judge of what is good and whats not.. hahaha...  You never know, we may like it.. I particularly am into some very eclectic stuff, and may find your stuff quite palatable...

JimK

as PX stated, I am really hoping to hear it, basedon your posts, should be very interesting..
#8August 19th, 2007 · 04:37 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
How did I miss this.
Really cool piece.I like the almost child(Innocent) motive!Slowed down this piece must have some really sweet melodic texture that could include background orchestration to enhance the sound palette giving it  room for beautiful piece and musical theme..
#9August 19th, 2007 · 06:59 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
I like the baroque feel to this piece. I think this is the first original really 'classical" piece I've heard on here. I like it, a lot. Big fan of Beethoven, I am. I don't like the idea of drums, this isn't like a rock song. Strings you could pull off, though. And winds. Winds would be great. Simplicity is good; it's what made Beethoven great. He was the one who didn't use 5,000 notes in 2 measures, but still managed to sound great.
#10August 20th, 2007 · 10:37 AM
19 threads / 15 songs
84 posts
United States of America
No drums need apply
Thanks for the kudos! No, a real drum kit will not be applied, but I had some thoughts about other percussion instruments, more for emphasizing certain beats. Currently I do not have decent string samples. I probably need to spend a lot more time on the mixer so my string attempts don't sound like 70's disco backgrounds (ugh!). Another confession of inadequacy or lack of cash (probably both at once). I would enjoy reworking some sections of this for wind instruments. As soon as I get some better samples and learn how to work them I will re post a variation.

I will also be posting another classical piece among the "failures" I referred to: this will be the "Sarabande" by Handel. This one seems to demand percussion to liven up the dynamics, but every attempt I have made thus far has NOT worked out. Expect it in a few days.
#11August 20th, 2007 · 06:51 PM
17 threads / 3 songs
185 posts
United States of America
very cool piece
nice!  I lke the idea that you used a different approach to your sounds ... modernizing  the classical notation with newer sounds and effects.  very cool  give me more please.
#12June 8th, 2008 · 04:13 PM
50 threads / 32 songs
292 posts
Canada
LOL I know I'm a little late to review, but I think this song sounds pretty childish. But wait, not bad childish, the good kind! Yeah I think that you should start making video game music too, I just heard a few of your other songs and they all sound very trance-like and synthesized - very... gamish-like. Anyways, LOL nice piece...

--XFactor--
#13June 8th, 2008 · 04:37 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Slow Dance
Intro..............instant smile...........
its going on a bit ...............
ok s o little changes .............
nice sound but needs developing into a song please...............?

its a noodle

haha the fish
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 4:19 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.