#1August 8th, 2007 · 05:01 AM
9 threads / 8 songs
207 posts
United Kingdom
Colombian Rose

This song is not in a battle

So this song is a bit of a rush job - as in I need to try and get it finished off this week.  Any feedback would be appreciated (less on teh recording end of things, but more on the song itself).  Lyrics are currently being written for it, and Im aware that there are a few places where there are mistakes.  Listen to it once through before reading the next bit (if you have that good self discipline) and decide whether you agree with what I think needs doing afterwards:

MY IDEAS:
Maybe too crowded with the lead guitar AND finger picked section in the chorus - instead drop finger picked section in chorus maybe?  Alternativley change levels a bit?
Strumming pattern could be changed possibly?
To add drums or not, that is the question.
To add background instruments through FL (quiet strings, etc...) or not?

Nick

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2August 9th, 2007 · 07:05 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Mood is really nice.Much can be done with Dynamics and space.Sometimes all it takes is to play softer and with less notes and let the melody take over.This tune has great potential!!!!
By the way love your Avatar pic ,most impressive view!!!
#3August 9th, 2007 · 08:42 AM
19 threads / 15 songs
84 posts
United States of America
Good fingerstyle work
Chorus and the song body are a little to close to one another. Very pretty overall, but it needs to go somewhere else and come back so that the listener can anticipate the return of the melody. Even something as simple as pause the fingerstyle foe a little letting the lead hold the melody, let  it breathe then come back in. All of your ideas could be used to strengthen this one, but the lyrics should force this song into its final shape. Maybe use the pause I suggested as a full stop for the instruments where the lyrics really need to stand out? Very pleasant.
#4August 9th, 2007 · 09:22 AM
9 threads / 8 songs
207 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks for the feedback!  Ive adjusted the levels a bit now, and its definatley helped; can seperate verse from pre-chorus from chorus better now.  In the chorus itself i've dropped the finger picking level right down so you barely hear it at all.  Still toying with the idea of whether or not I should do the same in the pre-chorus to some extent.  I'll not upload a new version till ive toyed with it somemore though - dont want the forums to be filled with "Colombian Rose Version XXIVII" by the end of next week :P

As far as variety goes, my intention was to keep it simple so, as you say, the lyrics could carry the song.  When i first started this song it had loads of different parts, but then by chance I took a break and switched on my itunes to have james blunts "goodbye my lover" play...so i checked the tab for it and its an incredibly simple song.  Just well constructed and well sung.  So i've tried to go down that route I guess.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 3:23 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.