#1July 28th, 2007 · 02:23 PM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
Lend Me Your Giants
Please vote for this song !
Current votes: 8 (needs min. 15)
It’s in the battle 2010-03

So finally, after years of threatening it, I got myself an Edirol FA-66 and an AKG 200 mic and here's the first rough new tune I've recorded with them.  Song's written about a stag week I just went on in Ireland, a gathering of old mates in a cottage on an island, before the first one bites the dust as it were, no more acting the maggot and partying but needing to keep these bonds of friendship alive.  They're so important.  And the weird thing when I was writing it is that I had this vague "Saving Private Ryan" thing in the back of my mind and somehow the lyrics could double up for soldiers about to go into or coming from combat.  Anyways, hope ye enjoy it.  PB

Lend Us Your Giants

Are you coming with us away from this shore,
Where the sun hangs low and chases our flaws,
To silent roads and steady declines,
To the straw of our youth and our lost valentines

When the ramp hits the beach, you can feel your soul thaw,
As the motors start up and the wheels start to roll,
And bless this here tin that is gold in your paw,
We'll have words with our giants on the shoulders of gods.

And wave goodbye to certainty,
It's not too far from here you see,
A time like this isn't everyday,
It's a serious business making memories.

We'll gather ourselves in this room while we can,
Each one a star in this lifes firmament,
And we'll drink like heroes like only we should,
bonded by pain, laughter and this strange brotherhood

We'll drain our glasses in memory of those now gone,
Offer them praises in word, deed and song,
We'll think about those who couldn't be there today,
Warm in the thoughts of our shared yesterdays.

And say hello to fraternity,
It's the be-all end-all here you see,
A time like this is so damn precious,
We do so love our unholy messes.

And when we're all done with our brief ecstacy,
And the sky has dulled to a warm aniseed,
We'll clap backs, shake hands and each to disappear,
To the corner of the world he calls home.

And stick the boot in for comedy,
That's why we're all here you see,
Our houses and cars get left at the door,
For the briefest of times, who could ask for more?

©2007

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2July 28th, 2007 · 02:30 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Man what can I say,this is just one beautiful piece man what a great voice PB this is just amazing nothing really to critique from my end except a few mic pops and minimal signal clips.Dude               
Super hi vote!!!!!
#3July 28th, 2007 · 02:54 PM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
Marino wrote…
Man what can I say,this is just one beautiful piece man what a great voice PB this is just amazing nothing really to critique from my end except a few mic pops and minimal signal clips.Dude               
Super hi vote!!!!!

Few mistakes in there, but it was one of those get it down while the "feel" is still right situations, I'll have to step back from it for a few days, see how it can be developed.
#4July 28th, 2007 · 03:14 PM
3 threads
76 posts
United States of America
PB,

This is really lovely.  I enjoyed the subdued guitar (regardless of any errors) as well as the excellent and thoughtful lyrics and vox.  A bittersweet, yearning ache of a song.   So much feeling, it is really beautiful. Great Work!

VK
#5July 28th, 2007 · 03:15 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
man
I have to agree with Marino...  Although, I still am wishing to hear bag pipes...  This song is perfect forthem..

This is awesome... Well done..... I can actually see this put to a slideshow of pics from the trip...

JimK
#6July 28th, 2007 · 03:39 PM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
Thanks a million
Very kind words from all of ye, it's not perfect but it's a song from the heart, so I hope that counts for something   I'm gonna go mad now uploading songs I'm recording with the new equipment   Once again, many many thanks
#7July 28th, 2007 · 08:58 PM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
re: man
JimkDaAdtman wrote…
I have to agree with Marino...  Although, I still am wishing to hear bag pipes...  This song is perfect forthem..

This is awesome... Well done..... I can actually see this put to a slideshow of pics from the trip...

JimK

Dude, if you've got pipes, lash 'em on there, I'm easy, it's very stripped down at the moment, Will Oldham stylee, but feel free to expand there
#8February 16th, 2010 · 07:18 PM
8 threads / 4 songs
21 posts
United Kingdom
Really stirs up the emotions,,,
A simple yet powerfully emotional song. Just shows what just guitar and vocal can produce. Really pulled me in.... Very good effort....
#9February 16th, 2010 · 09:45 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Man, I can so hear the bagpipes in the background! That would make this even more perfect.
Beautiful and moving song. Simple and powerful.
I can even feel the irish vibe.
Superb job.

> Iszil
#10February 24th, 2010 · 02:21 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
some real emotion going on .. great song, great lyrics. gets high vote.. nice  use of effects (not overdone ).
#11February 25th, 2010 · 05:43 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
What a beautiful song...keeps the attention and is so deep and touching.
I liked it before it even got started properly...the lyrics are so good !
You write a good verse my friend, some very nice twists and turns in there.
And you play a good song too, if you were to sort out the mic pops and in deed I must agree even add some bagpipes you'd have a potent piece of work on your hands.

It's so open now that I can imagine sounds like battle cries and blasts and stuff going off in the background.
You could even sample some Privet Ryan for it.
And I bet you could find a fitting pipes sample somewhere.
Yes a high vote..beautiful stuff
#12February 26th, 2010 · 05:19 PM
18 threads / 18 songs
54 posts
Chile
this song reminds me a lot to Bob Dylan is a very beautiful piece of music, congratulations.
#13March 24th, 2010 · 07:08 PM
5 threads / 5 songs
16 posts
United States of America
Nice job
Kind of reminds me of Tom Petty doing an Irish folk song with a little bit of Jeff Buckley thrown in. I love the feel of the guitar
#14March 26th, 2010 · 05:53 AM
3 threads / 3 songs
31 posts
Germany
I really like this one! The rare powerful moments in this give a good thrill to you while listening - quite dramatic!
So, you bought yourself an AKG 200? Go to the shop again and buy a ~20 Euro pop-filter, too You NEED one!
Nice song!
#15March 27th, 2010 · 05:49 AM
15 threads / 12 songs
171 posts
United Kingdom
A pop guard would be good agreed.

It sounds to me you were holding back on the vocals (although they were full of emotion). Was this because the guitar part is quiet? Did you play the guitar and sing at the same time?

I really like the lyrics. A lot. I also like the guitar arrangement. This song has great potential, I imagined it kicking in to a full band after the third stanza (a la Jeff Buckley). There is much you could do with this song such as bag pipes and other instruments.

I think with a strong guitar track and another more projected vocal take would make this song. You've got the emotion and the pitch I think you just need the performance edge .

And oh yeah, only one negative thing I could think of... why the burp at the end? lol. It ruins the song! (atleast in my opinion) :P Even if it was deliberate because it's about a stag night. :p
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 11:50 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.