1 2

#1April 23rd, 2007 · 01:49 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Waking Close
Score: 73.8%
Battle: 2007-05

Ok it's not a new song, but I just wanted to share because for some reason I find this song to be more interesting the longer I have it in my archives. If I recall correctly this was one of the last songs I made on 4-track tape cassette.

The whispery vox are intended this way, because the lyrics are pretty explicit - if they were turned up in the mix they'd dominate and this would destroy the intent of the listening experience. It's more about the music as a whole, as is usual with my work. I want the listener to guess about the brash filth that exits my cranium in this one

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2April 23rd, 2007 · 02:27 PM
37 threads / 19 songs
618 posts
United States of America
hey now
started out ok, but turned out to be a great riff.. keep it up bro!

blessings,

Dan - Blueyes
#3April 23rd, 2007 · 02:36 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Oh, nicely atmospheric
I love the matching of sounds and effects
You do this music very well PX
Vocals all good - in keeping with the song, and understandable given your explanation
Instruments played and mixed well
Good construction
A bit of "Edge" guitar work going on there - lovely

I like it.
More please
#4April 23rd, 2007 · 04:00 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
Well, I guess someone found some inspiration...an enjoyable listen...don't have much of a critique...nothing to suggest to make improvements is what I'm sayin...glad your back...

*Actually* this would be really cool to see being performed in a movie while someone is desperately searching throughout a club for someone...maybe someone who owes them money and is going to be killed? Nothing but chaos going on everywhere but the band and the few that can still stand are in a deep trance at the stage lost in the music.

*edit* I just read the intro...archive material.....still no inspiration? I've lost mine as well....
#5April 23rd, 2007 · 04:34 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
This is awesomely gothic to me.  I agree with Basket in that it would be awesome soundtrack music but I see a

vampire or werewolf movie.  Like "Queen Of The Damned" in the vampire bar or something, Alas.  I digress. 

Great tune!
#6April 23rd, 2007 · 07:48 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
melding of textures ,love the winding edgy guitar and the marimba ( I'm guessing) woody anyway.
Well done mate.
Synco delays on the kit provide momentum engine of doom.

music imagery 
#7April 23rd, 2007 · 08:35 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
As always! excellent! dark trippy and rhythmical! lol
BasketCase wrote…
this would be really cool to see being performed in a movie while someone is desperately searching throughout a club for someone...maybe someone who owes them money and is going to be killed? Nothing but chaos going on everywhere but the band and the few that can still stand are in a deep trance at the stage lost in the music.
That's spot on imagery! A wild eyed search through an unaware party.
Though I don't like vocals too low in mixes generally even if the intention is to grunge them out, I do think they 'fit the mood' and 'create the mood' well in this song, though they do dip out sometimes.
So is this done in the same way as you do your live stuff? Instruments kicking off instruments kicking off effects etc
#8April 23rd, 2007 · 08:50 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
amazing drum work on this one. Love the the back and forth panning (at first I was listening on speakers,, but I switched to headphones in order to get the full effect...that was amazing! I have NO CLUE how you programmed those drums) I agree with the others that this piece creates a real sense of urgency, drama. Amazing, almost vocal guitar sounds around 2:40...in fact there is so much going on here, I could listen several times and still hear something new every time....really nice work!
#9April 23rd, 2007 · 08:56 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
PX wow what can I say.Your one of those people that come along and definitely leave a musical mark.At least that's my opinion.This track as other of your other track are really dark surreal material,with and industrial feel to them.you could easily add some heavy guitars on this if you wanted to(that's also my opinion)I guess I 'm bias to the guitar but what you did is awesome and think you re actually playing solo guitar in the background.What i could here sounded really good but i think you're blending it to the music in order to get away from the in your face Axe sound.Anyway the point is that this is really awesome and got me inspired to work on material like this!!!loving it,gets super vote
#10April 24th, 2007 · 01:46 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
gee guys, thanks! what can I say? really great to read your descriptions about the imagery! "wide eyed search through an unaware party" - funny! and association with the Queen of the Damned movie -

well yeah that's a Marimba sound in there. I tried to play the keyboard so that it actually sounds like a real Marimba, by literally "hammering" the keys with my index fingers.

the way I used to work was by recording the keyboard backline first (there's a bunch of keyboard instruments in there) to the keyboard's internal midi recorder, and then have it run along with the drum machine (yes, it's an SR16 and yes, through sync delay to get that spreading and forward/backward waving effect) and simultaneously record the guitar. I had a live version in the making, who knows I might pick it up again!
#11April 24th, 2007 · 09:55 AM
5 threads / 5 songs
590 posts
United Kingdom
very cool atmospheric music. not my usual style, but i like it. Can hear it being played at an industrial club or something but its better than that cos it has guitar solos, lol. cant critcise anything.

Ian
#12April 24th, 2007 · 01:39 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
good you have uploaded this. the more I hear your music the more I am understanding.
one chord but not boring at all.
good work
#13April 25th, 2007 · 10:10 AM
5 threads / 5 songs
22 posts
Belgium
Professional
God, this is very professional !
VERY clean recording, great dark atmosphere.
For lovers of the genre, this must be a treat.
#14April 28th, 2007 · 12:51 AM
17 threads / 15 songs
271 posts
United Kingdom
Great stuff for being made on a 4 track tape. I used to have one of those and never managed to anything anywhere near this ha!
I like the vocals, add depth, though I don't get what you say 
Anyway quality stuff from PX as usual
Cheers
#15April 29th, 2007 · 02:43 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Geo wrote…
I like the vocals, add depth, though I don't get what you say 

That's actually a good thing!

Seriously, these lyrics are of the streaming kind, as opposed to poetic lyrics, which can be read and understood in from a "static" point of view. I use "streaming" lyrics a lot, they revolve around timed placement of keywords and -phrases... If I'd write them down they may appear pretty random, but they are quite the contrary. It's like active mind-mending on the observer if the observer allows it to happen... It's hard to explain what I mean. But it is for this reason that some parts of the lyrics are pretty explicit, and why they must not dominate the mix, but more work on the subconscious perceptive senses of the observer.

Good... Now... If I'm still making any sense at all: thanks for your review, and cheers!
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 10:44 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.