It’s in the battle 2010-02

This is the story of Esther (old testament) beat poetry

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2March 2nd, 2007 · 04:31 PM
13 threads / 12 songs
75 posts
United States of America
Jazz Poetry a la Lord Buckley
I got my inspiration for this piece from Lord Buckley, Jazz Poet extraordinaire.
#3February 16th, 2010 · 05:18 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Sounds more like a jam done to back up a storyteller but still sounds pretty cool. I can imagine myself in a smoky bar listening to this band while the guy tells the story.
I'm not really sure how to rate this "song". I guess I'll just pass.

> Iszil
#4February 16th, 2010 · 08:23 PM
13 threads / 12 songs
75 posts
United States of America
Listening to music - Live VS Mamorex
Iszil wrote…
Sounds more like a jam done to back up a storyteller but still sounds pretty cool. I can imagine myself in a smoky bar listening to this band while the guy tells the story.

> Iszil
Hey Izil,

I just got this post.
The Big Megillah was not done in a smoky bar was recorded live in a studio although I can see how one might come up with that stereotype since it is jazz influenced. This was done in one take - no overdubs or processing of the sound to make it come up to the correct pitch or anything like that.

I am a proponent of Live Music. Anyone can go into a studio and overlay and process and replace until things are perfect sounding. But a true musician plays music which is something that happens in time and cannot be changed once played.

I have a suggestion on how you might get more out of listening. Try to avoid making generalizations as to what kind of image belongs with what you hear and whether something fits into a specific box. Often times when this is done the listener becomes so preoccupied with creating an images that he/she misses most of the music.

This is not a song per se. This is poetry recited to music. Unlike a song the music is incidental to the words much like a dance piece may be performed with a piece of music. In some cases the dance piece is choreographed to a specific piece of music but, unless this is the case, dance pieces are choreographed to hold up on their own as a piece.
#5February 16th, 2010 · 08:42 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
very interesting piece...I like to think that all kinds of music no matter what it is creates an image in your head. thats what music does to me anyways. it creates things in my head...its not me being preoccupied thinking about what this sounds like or how I can quickly match this to a stereotype...

I believe music is supposed to give images...and I dont think Iz was trying to make generalizations...its just a very different sort of piece of arrangements. even this "tells a story".

also whether you record live or in a studio you are still creating the music and the images you want to convey to your listener.
#6February 16th, 2010 · 09:31 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
re: Listening to music - Live VS Mamorex
baverbach wrote…
Iszil wrote…

> Iszil
Hey Izil,

I just got this post.
The Big Megillah was not done in a smoky bar was recorded live in a studio although I can see how one might come up with that stereotype since it is jazz influenced. This was done in one take - no overdubs or processing of the sound to make it come up to the correct pitch or anything like that.

I am a proponent of Live Music. Anyone can go into a studio and overlay and process and replace until things are perfect sounding. But a true musician plays music which is something that happens in time and cannot be changed once played.

I have a suggestion on how you might get more out of listening. Try to avoid making generalizations as to what kind of image belongs with what you hear and whether something fits into a specific box. Often times when this is done the listener becomes so preoccupied with creating an images that he/she misses most of the music.

This is not a song per se. This is poetry recited to music. Unlike a song the music is incidental to the words much like a dance piece may be performed with a piece of music. In some cases the dance piece is choreographed to a specific piece of music but, unless this is the case, dance pieces are choreographed to hold up on their own as a piece.

I was quite aware that was a studio recording. My comment was headed more to what I felt listening to this. I wasn't looking for an image but it just popped up in my head.
And yes, I really listened to this more like incidental music (for a recited poetry/story) than a song like itself. That's why I didn't know how to rate it. Basically we review songs here but this one escaped from that category.
This was fun to listen (although I didn't pay much attention to the story) but, again, it's more like a guy talking and some people doing some smooth cool jazz in the background, jamming. Even if I ignore the talking it sounds like the music is just improvisation more than a proper song.
Hope you get my idea. It's not a criticism but just a comment of what this piece is.

> Iszil
#7February 19th, 2010 · 08:31 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Well, this one's been knocking around for a long, long time.... posted in March 2007 - and only just entered to a battle now - wow!!!

So the music...
Well played, very interesting freestyle jazz piece that's recorded with a "live" feel.  Vocals where they should be for the type of music - which is just as you put it Baverbach - jazz poetry.

I'm not keen on the mix for the drums, as the cymbals drive this too much - I'd bring up the snare and hi-hat, but lower the crash.  Love the horns - just where they should be, audible but not in your face; and the bass is spot on.  A little too much reverb on the vox for my ears.

But do I like it?  Actually, I enjoyed it for about 4 minutes - then it got too monotonous for me.  By 8 minutes I was all but done in!  This would go down well in a live jazz club, I'm sure - as Iz says, with people drinking and chatting in the background, it doesn't do it for me as a stand-alone sit in my lounge listening to music type of piece.  Just my view... others may disagree.

Interesting... oh yes, very.
Well played and recorded?.... again yes, but perhaps a few mixing and fx issues.

Glad I listened.

Jim A
#8February 22nd, 2010 · 09:11 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
a step back in time for me.. women in tight black sweaters and Capri pants, men in button downs and chino's.   very  50's ,early 60's jazz feel and imagery.  Groovy , cats, chicks, ect.  Words from that era. in time.  Some real tight playing in there. 

Too long for me to keep that attentive to the vocals and the story....  After  awhile it became part of the music, which is kind of cool.  I quit focusing on the words, and started paying more attention to the rhythm of the speaker, and the background music. 

Great playing. cool concept from the past.
#9February 23rd, 2010 · 05:28 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Dont know!.........It's long, loads of Baba and hey man dig this.
I couldn't follow it as a story but I did enjoy the laid back jazz.
The vocal is fast too, and lots of the same thing, unfortunately I cant get vocals to blend into the music...I just keep on listening....I got to about 6 minutes! lol
#10March 18th, 2012 · 03:00 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
One of our jazziest jazzmen!
Wishing you a Happy Birthday
#11March 19th, 2012 · 07:20 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: The Big Megilla JazzPoet
baverbach wrote…

sounds like so lifted from vinyl
#12March 19th, 2012 · 08:31 PM
13 threads / 12 songs
75 posts
United States of America
re: re: The Big Megilla JazzPoet
swordfish wrote…
baverbach wrote…

sounds like so lifted from vinyl
never been on vinyl.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 12:49 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.