#1January 13th, 2007 · 12:02 AM
51 threads / 31 songs
114 posts
United States of America
Tropicalia experement

This song is not in a battle

Well I was sitting here and I randomly made this song... I tried to imitate Tom Ze. What do you think? I suck at writing melodies and I put this together in one night.

later

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2January 13th, 2007 · 08:35 PM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
ok, well... I don't want to sound harsh here, but, here goes...
It started out fine, but when you started getting into other effects, everything else got washed away, and several of the sounds clashed. I think what you need is to tone it down a little bit, make it much simpler and get it sounding like something you can be proud of (in thie middle there I thought you were throwing sounds in there randomly, just for the sake of it). I think this piece needs a bit of direction...

As for how you think you suck at writing melodies, please don't say that about yourself. If you feel you're not very good with  writing music and melodies, you came to the right place  , just ask around a bit.
There is a method you can use to write songs, and it can be so darn easy at times.

Ok, I'll try and do a quick crash course that should help you out a bit.
First of all, I'm guessing you know about chords and scales.
Usually, you pick one scale to write your melody in: let's say C major for example. The chords we can use in the C major scale are; C major, D minor, E minor, F major, G major and A minor (we forget about B because the seventh chord doesn't work with the others)
The three major ones, C, F and G (1, 4 and 5 respectively, can pass between each other without problems, and the others, with only small problems. Anyways, you pick out your chord progression and then you use notes from the C major scale that are also in the chord. However, in between the chord you can have any note in the scale that's not necessarily in the chord, but is only one or two notes from the previous AND the one to follow. These are passing notes, and technically, you can use a note that isn't in the C major scale, as long as it doesn't clash with the rest of the melody/chords.

Using FL; here are some handy tips that I found makes using FL a lot easier.
1: Read the tutorials by WillyDavidK, if you haven't done so already.
2:Don't restrict your patterns to one bar, or your instruments to one pattern.
3:On the other hand, don't put more than one pattern per instrument on the track at one time if they are based around the same pitch area (octaves etc.)
4:Don't use too many instruments/phrases at once, unless they are in harmony.
5: Don't use instruments together if they wash the other one out, or if they clash with eachother (make sure the instruments you pick are well balanced)

Hope that helps a bit 
#3January 14th, 2007 · 12:59 AM
51 threads / 31 songs
114 posts
United States of America
Hmm...
I think you missed the point... it was to get a feel.  I realize this sucks because I put all of one hour into this. If I really wanted to actually make a good song I would spend much more time on it and not use fruity loops.  However, some of the key points in this piece were dissonace and rythm. Just like tom ze (who isn't afraid to use the sound of traffic in his music). Another concept was the wall of sound technique. I know how to do pretty much everything you have described (as you can see from some of the other pieces i've done or recorded on in a band, see the otherguy's tacab and west), I just didn't because I was far more focused on the feel and style, not the notes, that's why everything is in c.
#4January 14th, 2007 · 02:18 AM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
Well in that case, sorry for talking down to you like that, however I find this style rather peculiar, as I have only heard of dissonance as being used to prolong the resolution fo a phrase. Also, I find that dissonance is usually made through accidentals ora sudden and unrelated key change, however, I think your dissonance, being more of a cluster of sound, can simply be toned down a bit, as you can still get a dissonant sound from two or three instruments or sound effects, and not wash out the whole piece (leaving you with a decent, time efficient song written on Fruity Loops). I am not familiar with this Tom Ze bloke, however, if his whole theme is simply based around dissonance, I don't see why you would write a song not wanting it to sound good, it reflects an image that he is a bit of a joke. And as for saying thatyou can't write good music on FL in a short space of time, I don't think that's a fair comment, as I have been using FL to write game music for my brothers game, with tracks taking about 30 min-and hour to complete.

I might just check out your other songs now, and I take back my comments from the first post.Simple misunderstanding 
#5June 26th, 2007 · 12:03 AM
51 threads / 31 songs
114 posts
United States of America
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6ByabeEGxc&mode=related&search=

That's what I was trying to do but it didn't work out as well...

later
#6June 26th, 2007 · 12:08 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Very interesting Indeed.Music is music and do understand the concept, is almost like art music in a very abstract form.Cool man keep them coming!!!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 3:28 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.