#1January 11th, 2007 · 11:51 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
8 posts
United States of America
Cookbook

This song is not in a battle

Hey everybody. First song we have recorded here in the good ol' basement. It is one of our simpler songs for the sake of my sanity. I really need some suggestions on what to do to make it sound a bit cleaner, as I am new at producing/recording. The song does contain a bit of profanity, so please be aware.  Let me know what you think, we will be recording some good stuff in the future!

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2January 12th, 2007 · 09:18 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
i like the song, nice piece!

but the some parts being out of sync or tune or both, is a bit too much now and then 

fixing that, and some remixing on the vocals and drums would make this a great piece

so since you ask for suggestions:

vocals are a  bit dry and loud, a bit reverb and compression could help here

basedrum and snare are way too far in the back, could use some eq. and there's too much reverb there imo

of course you are probably limited by gear like most of us, so i still give a good vote because i think its a very original style
#3January 12th, 2007 · 10:41 AM
1 threads / 1 songs
8 posts
United States of America
Thanks
I appreciate the comments. The timing is definitely off in some parts, we just ran out of time and those tracks were the best we had. I will try to add a bit of reverb, and I will do a bit of research to find out what a compressor does. I did tinker with the drums for a good while without getting much better than that, do you have any recommendations on how I would make the snare pop a bit more? Again, I appreciate the comments and the help.
#4January 12th, 2007 · 03:04 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
uuuuh much out of sync but I cant do it much better....
I had the feeling the singer is out of air sometimes
This song has a nice builtup. Some fx to the voice would be nice. bit dry. all in all not bad
waiting for new stuff from you
#5January 12th, 2007 · 03:53 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Cookbook
ok song
I can live without the f word.........
how u gonna get on the radio?????? 

the first lick is great but u abandon it .......song is ok but the the drums are boring and limp wristed...............
u want to f***  something then get some lead in your pencil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, rhthm guitar lame no attack
you have an angry lyric but the backing is asleep
The vocals lack attack too ................... rework this and put a rocket up its A*s

splash 'ivote'

the fish
#6January 12th, 2007 · 04:53 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
cookbook
not sure how you are recording the drums, but they're very dull sounding. Maybe spend some time with eq's on the drums they lack some brilliance, especially on the snare. The levels on the drums aren't too bad, just dull sounding. I like the overall tone of the bass, needs a tad more compression so you can get smoother levels, it's in and out of the mix at times(could be the players not playing real clean).
High pitched feedback at  at 00:56  and 00:58 again at 1:47-1:49 after this I'm hearing more that I want to keep counting.

Ok, the biggest thing is the timing issues already stated plus, vocal issues already stated. This has promise just need to practice it some more, and work on timing. I'm not sure how you are recording, could be due to latency from computer or digital mixer.

All that said this is way better than anything I did on my first recording. good job and welcome.

spend some time with your drum mics and eq's  to get some snap in the snare google drum  recording stuff and research how to get good drum sounds. that will help.
i vote
#7January 12th, 2007 · 05:26 PM
23 threads / 20 songs
235 posts
Canada
Don't like the sound on the drums, too distant and muffled, nice song though, keep on rockin!!!! =)
#8January 13th, 2007 · 12:08 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
8 posts
United States of America
Thanks
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback, and as you can tell, it is well needed. I have a second guitar track that I have not added to this final mix, which should spice things up a bit. I will try to get the voice to sound a bit more professional and bring some more pop to the drums. I apologize for the lack of timing in some of the parts of the song, but right now I am more concerned with the actual production of the track rather than the timing. The recording was done in a single day, and we are definitely  not professional musicians... yet! School has just started back up and we don't have the time we would like to spend maybe 3 days recording a song. Eventually we will re-record everything, and I have a feeling that the more we do this, the better the results we are going to get. Be on the lookout, I have got some new stuff coming soon!

Thanks again

Sleepy Jack
#9January 13th, 2007 · 12:26 PM
20 threads / 20 songs
62 posts
Denmark
The drums are always too dull sounding in basement recording, especially because this is a rather quiet song, so this is excused. How did you record it anyways? digitally?
Vocals are fine and somewhat remind me of "Pavement". Neat little song.
Just keep playing and playing and then you'll figure it out.

Peace.
#10January 13th, 2007 · 12:46 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
8 posts
United States of America
It was recorded through a 14 track mixer directly into my computer using garageband, and then imported into logic for a bit more polish. The drums were recorded with a Shure SM-57 for the snare, another one on the right side of the drumset to pick up the toms, a Sennheiser E835 S for the bass drum, and to cheap-o mics for overheads. The guitar and bass were recorded with the Shure as well. If you have any reccomendations as to which mic to use where I would greatly appreciate that as well, since I have just been playing it by what I've heard from other people.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 7:21 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.