#1December 8th, 2006 · 03:01 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Heroine

This song is not in a battle

Thought I'd put this up... I have a rich imagination

We are beginning to lose sight of our belongings...
Our spiritual meaningfulness... Our love for life...

We are beginning to lose love for what we should love...
We are beginning to hate all that we ever knew necessary to our happiness...
We are hating what we should love

See no future... and no past
unable to be our own past, we
fall back... to our future
back to our future

did you ever love what you should lose?

what you need, what you must
what you have, what you trust
what you mind, what you see,
what you'll never mean to me
what you'll lose, what you'll touch
what you'll fall for, what so much
all these things can get enough,
all this La la la la laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa(argh)

we are beginning to lose sight
of what makes us better than the insects
and the things that bug us grow bigger daily

in retrospect - ....

there's no ...
there's no hope
there will never be

it's never been like this before,
not this strong

it's never been this strong before

it's all soooo wrong...

sooo, sooo wrong...

original title "Downgone", originally conceived and recorded 2001

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2December 8th, 2006 · 03:30 PM
34 threads / 17 songs
581 posts
Canada
hmmmmm...........the recording quality on this one seems to be lacking...everything sounds really muddy, and melshed together....when I focus on one thing at a time, I can hear that each individual component of this song is good - and when put together it is very cohesive (meaning all the parts sound good together) but - they don't sound their best when put together like this.  I notice that you recorded this many years ago...which makes the production forgivable...but since it sounds like it has loads of potential - it would be great if you rerecorded this using all that you've learned since then.  Oh yes - love the lyrics! 
#3December 8th, 2006 · 04:16 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
I think this thing is one tune out of a series  of tunes. It fits your style definately. But something is different. Cant exactly say what it is.... maybe the mood of the vocals. they are so ..  ..  .. uhm .. low. Did you see what Jimi Hendrix saw before???

Would like to know what your neighbours think when you record such "music"
#4December 8th, 2006 · 04:32 PM
29 threads / 14 songs
355 posts
Poland
I think he has no neghbours, Triton - otherwise they would have banished him from his town a long long time ago . I LOVE THE LYRICS - I am beginning to understand them in 100% - you made me understand that I desperately need some  more contemplation in my life, more thoughts on what I want and need to be happy. And I am gonna do it - rethink my life and change it accordingly. Maybe not immediately, but i wll... slowly.

I would love to hear the vocals done as if they were a lecture of a middle-aged proffesor talking about what is happening to society in general, but not as they have been done in this song. The message loses a lot of its impact as they are illegible. In fact, there is no impact at all IMO if you listen without reading the lyrics. Secondly, it gets a bit boring after some 2 mins or so. But if the words were spoken clearly, it wouldn't get boring whatsoever. In fact, at this point, the music is interesting enough to keep the listener's attention. BUt I may be wrong.

Great one Puppet!
Jim
#5December 9th, 2006 · 06:17 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
wow, thanks guys,

yeah I know the voice is illegible (when played at less than 85 dB), that's becauseI improvised the lyrics as I went along.

@spoon: one of the reasons I decided to throw it out in public is because I've been planning this to incorporate in my live set, so I will indeed re-record this one. Going to take a different approach, which leads me to...

@JBP: true, there are different "layers" of viewing this song and it's lyrics. One is the concept of what happens to society in general, as you accurately described, and this is what I intended when I started to work on the song, but another is the 1st person point of view of someone experiencing an overwhelming drug trip, and then reviewing his own miserable situation as he's undergoing it... I kindof realized that it could be seen this way when I had listened to the song a couple of times, after I finished it. And that is why the song is called "Downgone" or even more to the point: "Heroine".

I will definately do the vocals "clearer" in a remake, but not as a middle aged professor, though I see that could have an interesting effect too maybe for a remix

@Triton: thanks, I don't think my neighbors were home at the time! Still living with my folks at that point, I'm quite sure I was home alone. Although I still record everything with a set of very good headphones ($$$) I realize that vocals and lyrics like that make people wonder. Heh, that might be exactly the point to them!
#6December 9th, 2006 · 08:48 PM
6 threads / 5 songs
20 posts
Sweden
Experimental. I dig this kind of stuf. Remembers me about some songs made by deftones. It really get's your creativity going.

The downside of course is the quality.
#7December 9th, 2006 · 09:29 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Really like your guitar work, the constant riff rhythm and the lead coming in really nice.

It's funny but I thought that a little more reverb or stereo scape to the vocals, closer to what I've heard on your other songs, would have suited the 'mood' better. I seam to get a disturbingly closer view of your insane mind when the vocals are so clear! 
#8December 10th, 2006 · 01:58 AM
17 threads / 15 songs
271 posts
United Kingdom
you got quite moody on this one my friend.
I like the song structure and lyrics, I'd like to hear some melody line in between like a chorus to round the song a bit more.
The rythmics are very interesting so to say good.
But I insist with a chorus maybe even in the background would be a killer.
#9December 13th, 2006 · 10:01 AM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
It reminds me a lot early Ministry, shades of Momus too.  It'd be absolutely killer with a stop and a huge double-time chorus where the production just goes massive, like "Thieves"!
#10December 14th, 2006 · 09:20 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
sounds like an idea. I haven't worked on a live version yet, but I like the idea of a double time chorus. I'll try that, thanks!
#11January 16th, 2007 · 07:29 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
THis is
Awesome noise man...  

I love it....   Puts me in the mind of Psychadelic drugs and talking to colors... so the name fits well..  ;-)

Seriously, I think I have talked to some of the colors I am hearing in your song...

JimK
#12January 16th, 2007 · 09:01 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
no shit
this is a good song in ways of getting an emotion out of the listener(me)
not saying i therefore like it, but it definitely gets my attention over and over again
i listened to this song a few more times last year, but couldn't come to a review and i still cant
my mind gets blown with thoughts and i dont want to get there but yet i am getting irresistible attracted to my speaker magnets

category alarming but addicting i'd say

i vote for that quality
#13January 16th, 2007 · 09:23 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Thanks... the mechanisms of mind & thoughts can have an irresistable appeal - I certainly aim to translate some of those mechanisms into the music I make. I try to make music to open the observer's perception to those mechanisms (in the context of a thrill ride? I like thrashing beats and strobes and smoke and flashing colours), similar to psychedelica. I don't want to go deeper in the subject than necessary, but I hope my music has a constructive effect as opposed to the destructive effect of actual substance abuse... Though controlled use of substances may have constructive effects to some level, it takes a hell lot of self control to keep it within margines... And one single step across can prove one step too many... Music, on the other hand, is something one can indulge in without limits - without the nasty side effect (ok so your ears can go bust if you can't control the volume knob).

I put mine on 11 (out of 30 )

So I guess it's okay.

Thanks
#14January 16th, 2007 · 10:31 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
man this is great
I love the sounds you come up with on your guitar. the drums are very dark. I like the contrast to the bright guitar. I really like the way you sang/spoke this it fits. This song sets a mood, kinda catches the ear and makes you listen, especially for the vocals(I'll think I'll try that some, embed the vox into the mix).

Very cool .
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 10:19 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.