#1December 1st, 2006 · 11:26 AM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
Bound
Please vote for this song !
Current votes: 5 (needs min. 15)
It’s in the battle 2006-12

Vocals peak like mad (dang mic).  It's a song about being in a relationship for so long that you're utterly trapped.  Hence "We are not one, we are bound".  Recorded in Logic Express, one acoustic DI'ed and treated in Guitar Rig in Garage Band.  Vocals through the built-in mic on the laptop, that's why they peak so badly.  Must've driven the neighbours mad recording this in the kitchen.  Drums were just a loop.  Bass is the acoustic with an Oktaver to drop the pitch.

But, my God, do I love Guitar Rig   Don't forget to vote!

Lyrics:

Well if you showed me the way
You know it wouldn't have hurt
If I'd just buried my pride
and followed my heart
reined in my mouth and not given so much away
I know I'd have more cards left to play

If on the 4th of july it all should ignite
And all those tiny grievances should run in the light
We'll give them life of their own
And a birthday to stay drunk on
And a thousand excuses to walk home alone

We are not one, for we are bound
to fall on down

Well if you showed me a way I'd try not to bite you
It's been kind of hard to get to like you
I'm not gonna break and run
but I've got ways and means
So if it goes any further you've got yourself to blame

We are not one, for we are bound
to fall on down

©1997

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2December 1st, 2006 · 12:03 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
oh boy, recording in the kitchen, that brings back memories!

heh, in fact, the whole tune gave me a sort of deja vu experience in the beginning, maybe because of the somewhat muffled vocals, which gives the soundscape a hazy feel. sounds like a nice construction - and well resourceful thinking, using the oktaver to create a bass.

ok so, some of the vocal harmonies are a bit off, but the processed feel of them remind me of Alan Parsons, while the chord progression reminds me of the grunge era. a good construction, but missing an actual "bursting open", or climax, at that. maybe it's the steady drum loop just going on without fills, I found it slightly repetitive on the overall sensation, but it's okay.

You need a better mic! Rated it "warm", surely (see guide to rating songs)
#3December 1st, 2006 · 01:08 PM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
PuppetXeno wrote…
oh boy, recording in the kitchen, that brings back memories!

heh, in fact, the whole tune gave me a sort of deja vu experience in the beginning, maybe because of the somewhat muffled vocals, which gives the soundscape a hazy feel. sounds like a nice construction - and well resourceful thinking, using the oktaver to create a bass.

ok so, some of the vocal harmonies are a bit off, but the processed feel of them remind me of Alan Parsons, while the chord progression reminds me of the grunge era. a good construction, but missing an actual "bursting open", or climax, at that. maybe it's the steady drum loop just going on without fills, I found it slightly repetitive on the overall sensation, but it's okay.

You need a better mic! Rated it "warm", surely (see guide to rating songs)

Cheers boss - yeah, no rehearsal room at the moment so it's kitchen or the street
#4December 1st, 2006 · 02:59 PM
11 threads / 11 songs
73 posts
Canada
I like it. Nice overall idea.

I think Puppet has it pretty much right...even if you don't bust it open (so it has more of the Lou Barlow feel) just having the drums to build the ending of the phrase will really do a lot dynamically. And the mic, well, I think it'd be nice to hear you :-)
#5December 3rd, 2006 · 03:11 PM
34 threads / 17 songs
581 posts
Canada
yep..agree with Puppet about the drums being repetitive....a change in them somewhere would be nice...I really like the melody, and the harmonies, the chord progression is interesting...but man, I thought I was bad recording through my telephone mic - but this is even worse!     Your vox sound like they could be very good if recorded properly...so please - get a mic!
#6December 3rd, 2006 · 03:14 PM
14 threads / 14 songs
232 posts
United States of America
Oh wow. I am digging the soft vocals so mellow. I think that I could just fall asleep listening to it. The bass is definately hooking me to this song. I think I am going to favorite it!

(I don't like it when the guitar picks up though, it ruins the flow for me.)
#7December 3rd, 2006 · 10:29 PM
17 threads / 15 songs
271 posts
United Kingdom
I like it, despite the distorted vocals, I get the idea clearly.
I pretty much echo in what Puppet said.
I do like when the guitar picks up, perhaps the vocals should accompany that and take off a little bit....just a thought, you've done a good job, keep up
#8December 4th, 2006 · 10:10 AM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
Jefferson wrote…
I like it. Nice overall idea.

I think Puppet has it pretty much right...even if you don't bust it open (so it has more of the Lou Barlow feel) just having the drums to build the ending of the phrase will really do a lot dynamically. And the mic, well, I think it'd be nice to hear you :-)

Lou Barlow, you''re not the first person to suggest a more lo-fi approach to the tune, I'd love to get a "Rebound" sound going on with the guitars.
#9December 4th, 2006 · 10:33 AM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
spoon wrote…
yep..agree with Puppet about the drums being repetitive....a change in them somewhere would be nice...I really like the melody, and the harmonies, the chord progression is interesting...but man, I thought I was bad recording through my telephone mic - but this is even worse!     Your vox sound like they could be very good if recorded properly...so please - get a mic!

The thing is, the mic is alright if the fan on the laptop doesn't kick in, which it tends to do when you're recording....which in the words of Father Jack is absolute "Arsebiscuits!".
#10December 4th, 2006 · 10:34 AM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
Dark wrote…
Oh wow. I am digging the soft vocals so mellow. I think that I could just fall asleep listening to it. The bass is definately hooking me to this song. I think I am going to favorite it!

(I don't like it when the guitar picks up though, it ruins the flow for me.)

I'll do an acoustic version then
#11December 4th, 2006 · 10:35 AM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
Geo wrote…
I like it, despite the distorted vocals, I get the idea clearly.
I pretty much echo in what Puppet said.
I do like when the guitar picks up, perhaps the vocals should accompany that and take off a little bit....just a thought, you've done a good job, keep up

Cheers m8   Yeah, I'm still not quite 100% on the song, but I'm supposed to get it produced properly sometime soon, which could sweeten the broth a bit.
#12December 4th, 2006 · 11:28 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I really liked this song, the drums are good though I can agree with what has been said earlier.
They don't break or change, but they are OK.

The vocals harmonies do wally a bit and yes they also distort but as a complete song it's really cool.
#13December 4th, 2006 · 12:12 PM
14 threads / 14 songs
232 posts
United States of America
That would be amazing dude, yeah. Send me a message when you get the accoustic version up!
#14December 6th, 2006 · 09:52 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
9 posts
United States of America
nice
Overall, a pretty good tune. I like the prechorus changes. Agree with everyone else as far as needing to get a mic and working a little on your harmonies. Keep it up.
#15December 9th, 2006 · 02:37 AM
10 threads / 10 songs
37 posts
Canada
Cool...
Like the harmonies...

I'm glad you're writing music, You should.

Robbie.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 7:12 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.