#1November 5th, 2006 · 04:37 PM
119 threads / 90 songs
258 posts
United Kingdom
The Kids

This song is not in a battle

In this town, everyone knows what you did last summer.
And in this town, everyone knows the milkman f*cked your mother.
And in this town, everyone knows your face somehow.
And in this town, you're never alone.

And the kids are alright
And the kids are alright.

At this bar, even the staff are underage.
And at thier school, even the teachers misbehave.
And as far as I know, we don't have a football team,
And the local paper sucks like hell.
But we have the lowest unemployment in the north west
So I guess we're doing well

We kids are not alright, tonight.
We're crying, and lighting candles.
Us kids are not alright, tonight.
We're crying, and lighting candles.
They've swept us under the rug again they've,
Swept us under the rug again they've...

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2November 6th, 2006 · 09:46 AM
34 threads / 17 songs
581 posts
Canada
I really like the melody line...and your vox...and the last bit with the layered voices is pretty - but somehow this song doesn't seem as strong as some of your others....um...I think it's the lyrics that let it down a little.  The idea is great - I know where you're coming from since I live in a small town - but I think in the second verse the words don't flow as well and seem a bit forced or something.  Anyways, I still like it - just not my favourite of yours.
#3November 7th, 2006 · 12:35 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
I like the vocal harmonies, and the instrumental backing is pretty cool. I agree about the lyrics, esp. the second verse. it's like you try to give too much info at once, maybe you should spread it out more (the song only lasts 2:05 anyway, plenty of room for building it out), but theres a nice melancholy mood, makes me think of hangin out in the irish pub, now, and when I was younger.
#4November 7th, 2006 · 02:06 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
a typical porcellainish song.
good instrumentation except the drums. they could be eq'd with less lows.
for me outstanding lyrics and well performed. its not the flow of the words. there is something I cant describe but they start a kind of movement in me.
#5November 7th, 2006 · 04:20 PM
44 threads / 6 songs
305 posts
United States of America
Ew PD gotta say you got a great voice but this isn't flying with me. Lyrics are good but the feeling of the song contrasts with it too much for me.
#6November 7th, 2006 · 06:51 PM
24 threads / 9 songs
284 posts
Mexico
In general, I like the song,

first I was following the lyrics and the song at the same time

Then I read the comments and I was thinking about the second line

So i decided play it again and I still liking ALL the song...

hmm, I remember you had troubles sometime ago, inclusive you left a little good bye for the ampers. I'm writing this 'cause I think you put this emotions in the song...

your voice is wonderful,

I think is not necessary to make a loud song 'cause you're angry with the town, this two lines decribes the reflection:

"But we have the lowest unemployment in the north west
So I guess we're doing well"

Maybe in a future you could decide an arragements for the lyrics or the drum, but by now I just can say is a very good song, I really enjoyed and I wish you the best!!

Dodo
#7December 14th, 2006 · 08:55 PM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
I've been listening back through your stuff as I hadn't "bumped into" you for over a year and in terms of progression this is definitely a highlight.  The lyrics aren't bad per se, just a bit ordinary and you can do much, much better, try and tell more of a story with them, like concentrate on one aggregate character and then describe the background to the town to contrast or highlight the character.  That'd give the lyrics more impact and a certain pathos. 

The melody is wonderfully developed, an understated cinematic and if you really absorbed yourself into the song and where it could go, you'd have a masterpiece on your hands.  I'm not even gonna mention the production, f'ck it - it's only a scratching on the surface of something that could be so much bigger and that all comes later. 

The chorus begs to fly open, multi-layered harmonies tripping over each other with strings, sugar-coated frustration in angry Beach Boys clothing and then bring in the Bonham. The drums don't really need to be there, plucked cellos or piano bass strings playing the bass melody with wooden spoons could get the same harmonic backbeat across.

In short, I wouldn't give up on this tune just yet, you have a shot at perfection with it.
#8December 15th, 2006 · 01:39 PM
6 threads / 5 songs
29 posts
Denmark
Hey
nice sound in an album I would place it as number 6 out of 12 just to give a brake from the other songs, but still give something to think about.

Nice vocal ! - no need to think of this being a hit, just as said something to think about.

Clyde.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 7:54 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.