#1August 30th, 2006 · 02:53 PM
8 threads / 7 songs
96 posts
Canada
Three Blind Mice v2

This song is not in a battle

So this is the second run at it... did add some bass, as well as a couple of other horns as pads in the background (trombone and mellophone)...

I actually think the trumpet is sharp, too, but I haven't yet had time to re-record it.

better?

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2August 30th, 2006 · 03:03 PM
8 threads / 7 songs
60 posts
United States of America
definitely better

(I see what you mean about the trumpet solo, but I only noticed it towards the end)
#3August 30th, 2006 · 04:04 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
yeah, kinda sharp on the ears, that trumpet- won't a simple eqqing job suffice btw?

also I thought the brushed drum sounds seemed a little cut short, but other than that the mood and reeling atmosphere is really nice, a very nice jazzy tune it is, for sure. so a little bit of eqqin' and perhaps a little reverb on the drums can do wonders for this little gem.

and congratulations on pending fatherhood!
#4August 30th, 2006 · 04:08 PM
1 posts
United Kingdom
Chiiillllll man.  Wow.  Kind of an oxymoron, but that is impressivley chilled out.
#5August 30th, 2006 · 04:10 PM
8 threads / 7 songs
96 posts
Canada
hmn. I didn't know you could put reverb on drums. is that fairly common? if anyone's using Audacity, could they tell me, other than the Echo function (which is okay but not great) how to add effective reverb easily? The reverb function they have built in seems really unnecessarily complex.

and i think I'm just gonna re-record the trumpet. maybe even without the mute, or possibly both with and without, and then layer them on top of each other... I could EQ it a bit, but then i think other bits of it would end up sounding flat...
#6August 30th, 2006 · 04:15 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
ah oh well, I just thought about eqqing the trumpet track only btw, not the entire mix.

hmm well I'm not sure, does Audacity support VST effects? very user friendly plugins are over here, for instance: http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php

but I have no experience with Audacity, I've only used Kristal, another free audio engine, which does have VST support, for sure.
#7August 30th, 2006 · 04:21 PM
8 threads / 7 songs
96 posts
Canada
oh ya ya... I knew you meant just the track, but I'd have to go through it phrase by phrase or possibly even note by note, and it's so much easier just to re-record it.

Audacity *does* support VST, but most VST plugins I've found have been Mac-based and I'm running a PC...

are those ones cross-platform?
#8August 30th, 2006 · 04:23 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
they're windows only, these Kjaerhus thingies

and.. http://www.kvraudio.com has a load of free vst's (all platforms) too.. you might wanna check it out.

cheers...
#9August 30th, 2006 · 04:44 PM
8 threads / 7 songs
96 posts
Canada
Those kjaerhusaudio ones look great! thanks!

I found that KVR Audio site a couple times before, but found it less than user-friendly... kept only being able to find updates on new stuff that cost money. so. guess I'll have to take another stab at it... it's just so dense, y'know?

anyway, thanks again

guess v3 is forthcoming...

BT
#10August 30th, 2006 · 07:55 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
enjoyed this a lot very late night.., i am not really a jazz listener, but i did enjoy some pieces now and then, like now.., if someone told me it was Miles i'd believe it..

but i am only a rocker, so for what its worth: beautifull song to me!

get that trump sound right; download for me

btw. drums get reverbed in very various ways, mostly the snare, the rest only very little, mainly kind of natural, but of course you can use a lot too as a special effect, to make it sound as if was played in a large hall, or wherever
but it might become messy and less powerfull cause there is no room between the beats.
so there's the possability to use 'gated' reverbs
#11August 30th, 2006 · 08:04 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
i did try adding some reverb on it en eq-ed some hi mid a lot softer for tht trumpet( 1,5kHz with a very wide band), it sounded better in my opinion immediatly....

just thought its worth mentioning it 
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 24th, 2024 · 4:06 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.