#1August 12th, 2006 · 09:21 PM
17 threads / 16 songs
148 posts
United States of America
3 Day Weekend II

This song is not in a battle

This is a song about the French resistance in WWII. I posted a limper versaion of this earlier but I took the critiques of the previous version of this song and tried to incorporate them into this new mix. The vocals, acoustic guitars and accordion are new as is the solo guitar. It is a bit on the happy bouncy side for my taste but I like this version much better than the last. Let me know what you think. Any more ideas for improvement? Any and all criticism is welcome.

Three Day Weekend

We meet tonight at nine beneath the banner we designed so we can
plot our next assignment out in full
Nobody has a clue so far of what we do or who we are
this underground rebellion stuff is cool

By day we hand out pamphlets at the mall
At night we fight the good fight
as we climb beyond the wall

And the barriers will down as we pass the word around and it will spread
from town to town and state to state       
But the councils of the kings are such they aim too low yet risk too much
Their national past-time’s tempting fate

Let’s synchronize our watches and move in
We’re shadows in the night
we leave no trace of where we’ve been

HOOK:
And maybe they’ll dedicate a day to us
And we’ll call off school
for a three day weekend
There’s nothing that anyone can say to us
Cause we did our duty
as we saw fit

The lie detector knows your lies so just stay on your toes you guys
remember not to compromise your friends
It never shoud have come this far but there you go and here we are
but I’ve got your back until the end

Let’s synchronize our watches and be gone
We’ll be the ones our families and friends depend upon

HOOK:
And maybe they’ll dedicate a day to us
And we’ll call off school
for a three day weekend
There’s nothing that anyone can say to us
Cause we did our duty
as we saw fit

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2August 12th, 2006 · 09:33 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
This is kinda cool,no disrespect but you sound like weird Al (your voice) Personally I think if there was different vox on this it would be really good.Like I said though nothing personal just my opinion.
#3August 13th, 2006 · 08:56 AM
17 threads / 16 songs
148 posts
United States of America
Weird Al is my idol.
I can sound like a lot of people but I try to emulate W.A. because I admire his musical integrity and  his artistic.... oh hell. Weird Al?!!?? REALLY??!!
Now i have GOT to re-do that vocal. I'm so used to my chirpy-ass voice I never thought to sing it differently.
Anyway, BK, I definitely appreciate the honesty (you heartless gargoyle) and I'll follow up on it. I can't think of too many people I'd rather sound less like.
Vocal embarrassment aside, any comments on the form, style, conception or arrangement?
It was meant to be an intensely pop song a la Jellyfish. I don't know how close you can get bouncing so many trax but I gave it a shot to find out.
#4August 13th, 2006 · 10:20 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
well personally I can't find anything you could improve, this is a really great mix. Hhmm yeah maybe the drums could sound less "plastic", but I like the rhythms of all the instrumentals playing together. And yeah the vocals are very well done in my ears. I'm not a fan of weird al or jellyfish (those demonic creatures that is, I don't know the band by that name I'm afraid... probably because I avoid anything associable with jellyfish)

anyway.... quite a way to look at WW II's french resistance. hum. I'm more into Leonard Cohen's "The Partisan" if you know what I mean. Anyway, much praise for your musicality mr. Alerion, I could never top ya
#5August 13th, 2006 · 11:48 AM
66 threads / 55 songs
697 posts
United States of America
sounds great.

I love the hook. amazing harmonies.

the mix sounds good. great quality. my only critique would only be that it all sounds too clean, but then that's just a personal preference I think.

nice accordion as well.
#6August 13th, 2006 · 01:13 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
A very nice, happy and funny song.
The all in all sound imo is a bit sharp at some points. but musically there is nothing to top. Weired guitar riffs in it and this I like. Congratulations for a new successful song. btw the accordeon is an instrument that french people usually have in their music but this one is played in a pure american way. Anyway it is well played and makes the song very attractive.

Good job!
#7August 13th, 2006 · 03:23 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
alerion wrote…
Weird Al is my idol.
I can sound like a lot of people but I try to emulate W.A. because I admire his musical integrity and  his artistic.... oh hell. Weird Al?!!?? REALLY??!!
Now i have GOT to re-do that vocal. I'm so used to my chirpy-ass voice I never thought to sing it differently.
Anyway, BK, I definitely appreciate the honesty (you heartless gargoyle) and I'll follow up on it. I can't think of too many people I'd rather sound less like.
Vocal embarrassment aside, any comments on the form, style, conception or arrangement?
It was meant to be an intensely pop song a la Jellyfish. I don't know how close you can get bouncing so many trax but I gave it a shot to find out.

It's funny you called me a heartless gargoyle,I have one tattooed on my arm.......As far as
form, style, conception and  arrangement I think it's really  good.I love the way the lyrics flow.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 18th, 2024 · 4:47 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.