#1May 25th, 2006 · 02:43 AM
5 threads / 3 songs
11 posts
United States of America
Inspiration

This song is not in a battle

My band's name is Floccinaucinihilipilification and we are from Memphis, TN. We do a blusy-rock style of music. We really just came together, so i though i'd post this here to see what other musicians thought of us. Yes, i know, the recording quality is crappy, but im only using 1 mic to record the entire band, so theres really not a whole lot to do. Tell us what you think, and we'll try to get the recording quaity a little better next time. Thanks!

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2May 25th, 2006 · 03:20 PM
34 threads / 17 songs
581 posts
Canada
Your name is what??? Floccinaucinihilipilification  what does that mean...how do you say it?

As you know...the recording quality is pretty horrible...the song sounds like it has potential, but it's really hard to tell because of the recording.  I know it's tough when you don't have the right gear...
#3May 25th, 2006 · 03:45 PM
5 threads / 3 songs
11 posts
United States of America
FLOCCINAUCINIHILIPILIFICATION

The action or habit of judging something to be worthless.

Back in the eighteenth century, Eton College had a grammar book which listed a set of words from Latin which all meant “of little or no value”. In order, those were flocci, nauci, nihili, and pili (which sound like four of the seven dwarves, Roman version, but I digress). As a learned joke, somebody put all four of these together and then stuck –fication on the end to make a noun for the act of deciding that something is totally and absolutely valueless (a verb, floccinaucinihilipilificate, to judge a thing to be valueless, could also be constructed, but hardly anybody ever does). The first recorded use is by William Shenstone in a letter in 1741: “I loved him for nothing so much as his flocci-nauci-nihili-pili-fication of money”.

A quick Latin lesson: flocci is derived from floccus, literally a tuft of wool and the source of English words like flocculate, but figuratively in Latin something trivial; pili is likewise the plural of pilus, a hair, which we have inherited in words like depilatory, but which in Latin could mean a whit, jot, trifle or generally a thing that is insignificant; nihili is from nihil, nothing, as in words like nihilism and annihilate; nauci just means worthless.

The word’s main function is to be trotted out as an example of a long word (it was the longest in the first edition of the Oxford English Dictionary but pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis edged it out in the second). It had a rare public airing in 1999 when Senator Jesse Helms used it in commenting on the demise of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty: “I note your distress at my floccinaucinihilipilification of the CTBT”.

(http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-flo2.htm)
#4May 28th, 2006 · 07:31 PM
8 threads / 7 songs
30 posts
United States of America
Inspiration
Things seemed a little chaotic at first but the song finds it's groove around 2:00. The rythm guitar gets pretty repetitive after awhile, but I've never been a huge fan of the "jam band" so maybe that's the point. I love the band name though, and the latin lesson. d.
#5May 29th, 2006 · 12:22 AM
10 threads / 10 songs
101 posts
United States of America
music
What are you recording with? If you put the mike in just the right place, you can wind up with a decent recording. That's all Sinatra had for quite a bit. That's all I ever record practices with. Put it up towards the ceiling, use the right kind of mike (not a dynamic, cardioid-pattern mike that's designed to sing up close, as in a stage mike.)--some sort of condenser mike is what you need. Yo could get a cheap Oktava MC012 for not even $200. When you get into more upgraged mikes, you can use these for acoutic guitar and I saw Steve Smith use them to record his drum cymbals (for overheads).
#6May 29th, 2006 · 03:28 AM
5 threads / 3 songs
11 posts
United States of America
Well, basically I'm poor(like everybody else) and i just went out and spent a metric ass-ton of money on a Blue Snowball Mic(USB). the mic is pretty nice, as long as you are bout 3 inches away from it and doing a podcast. other than that, it distorts everything to the point where you heard it in the song. i am using audacity to record, and while its a nice program, it makes the mic very quiet so i mostly have to record through Nero wave editor. The only bad thing about all of this is that i spent $175 on this mic, and i cant return it because of some health laws. so....yeah. now i realize that i shouldn't have tried to take the easy way out and actually spent the money on a few decent mics and a mixer.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 2:50 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.