#1May 17th, 2006 · 09:43 PM
4 threads / 3 songs
22 posts
United States of America

This song is not in a battle

the title is just how long the song is...extremely prog/death/weirdo metal with no vocals...yet...

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2May 18th, 2006 · 12:51 PM
34 threads / 17 songs
581 posts
Canada
Good into - sort of "Phantom of the Opera" sounding.

I really like this song.  The heavy guitar sound is excellent.

It's really long...but it changes enough to keep it interesting.  The change at 6:25 is very cool.  The 7:15-8:10 part I don't really care for, but then after that it gets great again.  I totally love from 9:31 on.  I don't think I would even want to hear vocals on this.

Is that you playing all the guitar parts?  It's very well played.  It almost sounds like you could make this into two or three (or four or five) different songs.  Very nice
#3May 18th, 2006 · 02:08 PM
4 threads / 3 songs
22 posts
United States of America
thank you, i've worked pretty hard to get a good heavy, crunchy and yet clear guitar tone...and yes, everything was me, guitar, bass, keyboards...and i programmed the stupid sounding drum machine.

i appreciate you listening to the whole thing...a lot of people can't endure minimalist soundscapes (especially not metal heads) but thank you for listening to it all...i don't know if you caught it, but the entire song sort of fits together like a puzzle.  elements of one part will appear in a different form in another part of the song and so on...
#4May 22nd, 2006 · 01:24 PM
4 threads / 3 songs
22 posts
United States of America
one response?  that's it?
#5May 22nd, 2006 · 02:26 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
I must have overlooked this one.

It seems quite some effort was put into this all together...

Wow, this slurped all my energy within the first minute of listening... And then it still goes on for what... 11 minutes?? I wouldn't call this minimalist.... you're not referring to your own song, are you? Coz this does not qualify as minimalist...

Oh... well, I'm getting more into it now. I like the harmonic leads and the trippy synth pads in the back. Great sounding piano...

However I think the levels are not all that... The mixing doesn't sound as crisp as it could... seems the instrumentals are missing out on some brightness... (could be mp3 conversion?) And I don't really like that snare drum sound, it's seems a bit overdone. I have a similar sound in my Alesis DM5... always trying to avoid it

Anyway, in the whole, I say this is an excellent construction, and I downloaded it (yahh...) and I'm looking forward to hear more of your work.

well done, well done!
#6May 23rd, 2006 · 06:53 PM
4 threads / 3 songs
22 posts
United States of America
well...i guess i call it minimalist not as like...a whole piece of music, just parts.  some parts here and there definitely qualify-lots of passing tones and layered chords/progressions.  hell, the middle trippy part has a piano way in the background that doesn't even fit the main progression-but it's there anyway.

if you don't mind me asking (other than the snare, i know it sucks-i'm fully aware...that rhymed, and i totally didn't mean for it to) what do you mean the levels aren't all that? what would you change?  i know i'm not exactly the best at mixing...i play pretty well but damn if i can't mix worth a crap...especially on these poopoo computer speakers...

anyways-i'm leaving on thursday for about three months-if you have any suggestions i would put them up quick and maybe i can get up a re-mix version.

and by the way, this is only an instrumental because i can't yell loud enough into my direct input to get vocals to come through
#7May 23rd, 2006 · 07:21 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
woo.. mixing... well to go into details over a 12 minute piece seems like a bad idea, but overall the various instruments used need to be set apart better... give them their own place in the stereo field, and try to give them their own frequency peaks too (with equalizer), so that they stand apart from eachother and become more distinctively audible.

Also, you could try to put compression on the end mix and a bit of eqqing to bring out the brightness...

Mixing on pc speakers probably isn't the best idea.. if you have a decent set of headphones then that's a better option. That way you can hear the stereo field much better and try out something with that..

Anyway while mixing, don't overdo it... let your ears be the judge whether it is good or not... take your time, don't hurry a thing...

When I'm fresh in the morning I might try and run this through wavelab, see what I can do... I'll let you know ok? cheers
#8May 24th, 2006 · 01:30 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I like this. good writing skills, good guitar playing, keys are good. Even though the songs I have up here aren't this style. I listen to heavier stuff.  love the guitar sounds.
 This is good .
#9May 24th, 2006 · 10:41 PM
4 threads / 3 songs
22 posts
United States of America
yea...i don't mess with the equalizer too much...here and there, but not much.  and all i have to listen while editing are these damned computer speakers...it's a pain in the ass to mix something, burn it onto a cd, take it out to my truck, listen to it, wish it was better, try to make it better, repeat....anyways, i'm going to a trade school to learn how to be a sound engineer (all that mixing/mastering shit for studios) after i get back from tour this summer.  so...if you get it mixed and i don't respond it's because i'm in the middle of bfe in the sun banging on some timpani!  woot drum corps!

thanks goat.
#10May 25th, 2006 · 05:35 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Well, I listed to all of it!
Yup, it's pretty long that's for sure - but I had it on in the background while doing some other work on my pc, and it all sounded pretty good.

The mix isn't spot on, and it does get a little "samey" for me - but it's still a good bit of work.

Well done

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 2:12 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.