1 2

#1May 6th, 2006 · 01:30 PM
17 threads / 16 songs
148 posts
United States of America
Two in the morning

This song is not in a battle

This song is EMO as hell! God I sound like a pussy! Still, I wanted to do a slow tune that wasn't overproduced and this is what I came up with. the lyrics for this song have been a source of contention between me and my producer  friend. If anyone wants to post their impression/interpretation of the lyric I'd be grateful. Also general comments are always welcomed.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2May 6th, 2006 · 04:01 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
okay...the first thing that strikes me is the excellent quality of the guitar work. Being a guitarist myself, I must say, IMO, that you're a really accomplished guitarist (I assume you're the one playing). This guitar work is delightfully sensitive, expressive, full of character. I say that's definitely a keeper! I do notice some problems (being very familiar with this problem myself) with pitchiness in the vocals (throughout the verses, not in the chorus). Now the lyrics...I think I know what you're talking about. The chorus..or hook ("oooo baby come home with me") parts work well for me (as do the harmonies. That whole part does not need fixing as far as I'm concerned..) The lyric content of the verses, may be a bit trite, stale, maybe offputting...possibly perceived as "whiny" (Now in saying that...I should note that I'm feeling that way about some lyrics on one of my songs currently...which motivates me to want to rewrite them...it happens) and the delivery may be a bit repetitive and/or monotonous, but that's being picky as far as I'm concerned. For this site, this is really strong work. In the professional ranks,(again IMHO) you may run into criticism about these issues.
#3May 6th, 2006 · 05:15 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
yes quality is great. guitar work is excellent. the chorus with fantastic harmonies in the background choir is awesome.
some pitching issues in the verses. anyway. its a 98% from me
#4May 6th, 2006 · 09:10 PM
17 threads / 16 songs
148 posts
United States of America
Wow the lead vocal SUCKS! Yeah, I recorded it in an office at night and didn't want to get too loud or disturb anyone. As soon as i get near a mic and a laptpop I'm gonna pull this puppy and re-do the voc.  Thanks for the guitar comment. I actually play full time for a living ( no more day gig! ) so I get to play a lot and I'm broke a lot!

The lyric thing stems for my friend calling this just another "you bitch" song. I really didn't mean for it to be. I was trying to capture that pathetic phase in  a relationship where you resent the person but still want to be with them in the hope that they'll change.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.
#5May 7th, 2006 · 03:45 AM
21 threads / 16 songs
49 posts
Peru
sounds really good. I need a $·"$%$·% studio
#6May 7th, 2006 · 06:00 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
man, it's beautiful.. I don't think the lead vocal sucks at all... This sounds very natural... just a guy playing his bluesy mood at 2 AM somewhere in a room. Feels a bit like early dire straits too... the harmonies feel typical 80s though and are just the thing which makes this a commercially interesting product.... and at the same time take away from my personal sensation of deeply liking this song (a matter of taste). I'll still download this though.

Anyway... I don't think you should redo the lead vocal. I really see no reason why.... This is a real, personal sound. I like it much better than over-polishedness (don't know how else to say it).

So, really great song IMO and very well done. I'll leave a nice rating
#7May 7th, 2006 · 02:04 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Another day... another ear.

heard this for about hundred times now. I do love the chorus very much and the ending. very emotional parts. go ahead with this music. its really wonderful.
#8May 7th, 2006 · 05:45 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
tasty guitars, and the vocals sit very well for office recording , sometimes the spontaneous carries feelings better than the re record , but hey try them again if you want to,give youself options .Top song. 
#9May 7th, 2006 · 06:33 PM
102 threads / 59 songs
204 posts
Canada
Sounds pretty good. The lead vocals are a little shot, but not bad still. Nice riff, I'd love to hear it with a band though. I know that's not what you were going for, but I think it'd sound cool with a slow sort of openning chorus and then get some drums in and pick it up, sort of like Colin James, nice feel. Good work.
#10May 7th, 2006 · 11:10 PM
17 threads / 16 songs
148 posts
United States of America
Ok. Thanks you guys. Maybe I'll just tweak the voc in that one really bad part! Actually, I just laid the tracks down on Audacity so i wouldn't forget them and so i could post the tune and get your input. When i get home to MA (I'm rehearsing my band in the Washington DC area), I'll re-do the whole thing with a better mic and try to maintain the feel and intensity of the original without singing sharp.
#11February 28th, 2010 · 04:24 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
I must say :

to listen to this song at two in the morning
#12February 28th, 2010 · 08:26 PM
17 threads / 16 songs
148 posts
United States of America
TK! Old Buddy!
Well I haven't been here in ages. How is life for you?
My life has taken many turns! Nearly died, had open heart surgery, many loved ones sick and dying....  a very bad few years. However, since my operation, my health has gotten MUCH better. I took rehab very seriously and I am better than ever.

When i got sick, I had to disband my show band in Washington DC but I have since joined another here in New England (www.navesoulband.com) - I'm the guitar player. I'm singing Kiss, if you listen to the audio samples. .It's a good band but their website SUX. I'm working on that.

I also am in a folk-rock trio ( Beatles, Eagles, John Hiatt, bluegrass, country etc.)that i love. We are quite popular here and we are actually starting to do originals which is going over very well. I stopped playing guitar for a while and that sucked, but things are now looking up and I'm gigging my ass off!

Thanks so much for even remembering this - or any- of my songs. What a good feeling!
Guess i should really look around the amp to see how my old friends are doing. Glad to see you're still here.
Take care TK and thanks once again.

David
#13February 28th, 2010 · 09:30 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Hey Alerion! It's good to hear from you! I'm sorry you've had some struggles over the years, but it's good to know you're still up and kickin'. Here's hoping you see fit to rejoin us and share some more music with us.
#14March 1st, 2010 · 11:47 AM
17 threads / 16 songs
148 posts
United States of America
Thanks Battleeat.
How goes the playing? I have actually been writing country tunes for my trio and they're coming out fairly decent. Oddly, I haven't recorded any since we just learn them on the fly. It's great when you've got guys who can just do that. Of course, the changes are easy in country so charts aren't needed but it still requires knowledgeable players.
Anyway. I'm swamped at my day gig so it'll pbly be a while before I can record any original stuff (though i might get a live gig recording)
I plan on taking a while after this big project at work to explore Bandamp, check out everybody's stuff here and catch up. Been meaning to but life got in the way!

Later
#15May 12th, 2010 · 07:12 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Happy Birthday!!!
Just stopped here to send you my best birthday wishes.
Hope you're fine to celebrate this special day.
Cheers
Carsten
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 4:28 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.