#1May 2nd, 2006 · 06:15 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
52 posts
Canada
My Only Son

This song is not in a battle

first in a series of songs inspired by the birth of my son... he just turned 2, so it's almost that old. and, just to keep it organic, i threw in a couple chair squeaks for you.

lyrics:

deep down inside
down in the well
beyond where they cry
that's where you came

beside you i stand
i'll take your hand
i'll guide you there
then i'll let you go

you're gonna fall my only son
you're gonna fall just like me

you're wednesday's child
goose cedes you woe
sunday's a hill
so up you go

and so you're born into this world
find some comfort in the girl
try and love another man
just help out where you can

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2May 3rd, 2006 · 09:29 PM
16 threads / 13 songs
43 posts
Canada
Very Nice man. its got a real cool feel to it, sounds like something Neil Young or the Eagles would put out. I like your voice, its kind of raspy which just adds to the cool atmosphere of the song. Guitar work is great. Over all just a really good tune. Not much change could better this song really, as I think its that good. Only thing I could think of is amybe some back up vocals at the end could make for a nice conclusion but it doesen't really need it.

Anyway, over all awsome job, keep it up man.
#3May 7th, 2006 · 08:36 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Beautiful... It's beautiful man, really...

This melancholy... The raw production... It's very alive... I love the mallet percussion in there... Beautiful... I hope your son will grow to understand this song as he grows up...
#4May 8th, 2006 · 06:45 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
52 posts
Canada
thanks for the comments guys! this one is obvously close to my heart. really appreciate the gracious comment about the vox othercommrades, i wasn't 100% on them but thought that the feeling/tone was right so didn't want to have too many takes (this recording was the second) at it. i did track a couple harmonies but left them out of the mix down because i wanted to mostly maintain the 1 person/voice perspective throughout, during the "you're gonna fall" parts there is a whispered harmony buried deep in there though. the mallet percussion is also my favourite touch production-wise PX, i used my little guy's 4-note toy "piano", the first "instrument" we ever bought him 
#5May 8th, 2006 · 08:38 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
this is great.... what a dad. I'm a sucker for that atmos guitar.
#6May 9th, 2006 · 12:29 PM
24 threads / 9 songs
284 posts
Mexico
i like the feeling, the voice, the lyrics,

the atmosphere it's like a secret beside his dreams. I can't expres this thing with my limitate vocabulary but sometimes i've feeling the same about my son

great Syntax!

got my vote
#7May 9th, 2006 · 12:52 PM
2 threads / 2 songs
8 posts
Bulgaria
Words fail me to express the admiration, sorrow and all the emotions that your song made me reach. I'll say only: Thank you about this masterpiece!
#8May 9th, 2006 · 03:10 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Listening as I type...
Nice clear recording, acoustic sounds very laid back.  Lead acoustic over the top is very nice too.
Vocals are a little off, but they've got plenty of feeling in them, which I think makes up for plenty.
Lyrically it's pretty nice, and I wish I written the lines:

"you're wednesday's child
             goose cedes you woe
             sunday's a hill
             so up you go"

which I think are excellent - I do like an intelligent lyric (just wish I could write some myself )
I suppose my only criticism is that it's a little "samey", needing (in my opinion) a break of some sort to rest the ears somewhat.
But a good song all the same.
#9May 17th, 2006 · 10:05 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
52 posts
Canada
i am humbled by all your kind comments. there was an intended darkness to this song but i was also trying to have an underlying feeling of hope. wasn't sure if any/everyone would catch the reference jiminuk. i know mother goose nursery rhymes have been translated into english, but other than french, i don't know what languages or countries these rhymes are told in?
#10August 7th, 2006 · 01:52 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
nice
a song deff from the heart  to a heart.....your son will have this song for the rest of his life   to remember  .. as you will also

Ralph
#11August 7th, 2006 · 03:37 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
Close 2 the heart
This a bit on the dark side................
I understand the emotion................
Make sure u save this song on a cassette or similar and play it to your boy when He's 18
It will be a real eye opener to u both

wish my dad had written a song for me!!

lol

the fish
#12August 10th, 2006 · 09:54 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
52 posts
Canada
thanks flyer and swordfish! wish i had more time to record the other 2 in this series of songs inspired by his birth but i am usually too busy chasing him around everywhere 
he doesn't seem to care for this one so much now, but i hope that someday it will have some meaning for him. he made up his own song recently. it goes like this. "HAAAAAAAAPPY CAKE - YAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!" - nice hooky chorus i think, but could use a couple verses 
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 7:27 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.