1 2

#1March 29th, 2006 · 11:33 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
Frights

This song is not in a battle

Again another U-Tow song  .., a song about love, life and.. frights

Not totally became as I imagined when writing this one.
On one side I'm happy about the beautiful things the band added, on the other hand, it gets saturating in a way(to me), I can't point out whats wrong or missing or...?

I think it might be in the distorted guitar parts which are to much of the same....................i don't know, maybe you do?
(I also mixed Hugo's rhythm-distortion too loud a bit, but that hasn't anything to do with this I guess :P)

In the beginning(god spoke..) I added a third guitar part (the low '7' chords!), its slightly off here and there, but i liked the idea so i couldn't miss it anymore and left it for another time(which still has to come) to rerecord.

ps. lyrics were originally mine, but ofcourse Lawrence has rewritten and added some parts( he always does :P)

well, if you don't like the song, at least you have something to read :P

FRIGHTS            (lyrics Marco den Bakker/Lawrence Payne)       

If I could tell you all about the cold…
& the scary sensation of growing old…alone…

If I could tell you all about the lies…
& the awkward experience of being tied…
…to a human being, gradually becoming strange…
& stranger…until I found out it was me…

…All this Time…All those Frights…
Stubborn me…still wanting my own way, again…

Now I just told you all about my frights…
&why I deny…oh, being denied!?…

Still wanting it revealed, right now…
Well, where’s the reason & where is the Truth?…
Why is this existence failing badly?…
…Oh, why?…

Why not believe there wasn’t anything between us?…
Why not believe nothing’s true?…
Why not believe there wasn’t anything between us?…
…Not a thing?…Is that your Truth?…

SOLO

Still wanting it revealed, right now…
Well, where’s the reason & where is the Truth?…
Why is this existence failing?…
..Please, tell me why?…

You tried to believe there wasn’t anything between us…
You tried to believe no one loved you…
You tried to believe there wasn’t anything between us…
…Not a thing?…that love could do…do for you...

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2March 29th, 2006 · 01:13 PM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
great intro! the vocals started a bit plain(?) wich I don't feel anymore with the drums in...
I like the slide guitar, but it's probably too loud.

...wow, this is only getting better.  Nice chorus. nice solo.

Overall, well constructed and performed. Very original stuff.
#3March 29th, 2006 · 01:33 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
This is a song that will take many listens...as there is so much there. The first thing that strikes me very clearly is not a criticism. I am drawn to this song (as I have many of your songs) because of a number of elements. First, this song appeals to me because of it's originality. It seems all elements are unique....the lyrics seem very personal....the vocalist's style, voice and interpretation is unique...I've never heard a guitar lead like that...the composition has an "ebb and flow" quality....like ocean waves on a beach... You guys took a lot of artistic "risks" with this music (you pushed the boundaries of "genre", style, convention). And, to me, it all works! I find myself having "goose flesh" as I listen. You clearly have a commitment to passion in your music, as reflected in this song, and irrespective of any small glitches (maybe a sour note here or there, which, to me has little significance, particularly when it's clear you're putting your heart into it!) And that's exactly my point...I love this song because of the fact that is is presented with passion. And that's what "gets me off". It's very hard for me (right now) to make observations about the mix...(you know....is the guitar too loud...is it equalized well...etc.) when I am visibly moved. Okay...that's all I can say for now...must listen again.
#4March 29th, 2006 · 01:44 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
very clean record. influences by "Pink Floyd"? Dreaming of older days. instrumentation and performance is awesome. voice could more be in emphasis. good stuff. Needs an organ (my opinion)
#5March 29th, 2006 · 04:01 PM
8 threads / 8 songs
257 posts
Netherlands
Sorry,..i think its to fragmented ,...the song needs something so that it will become one
Perhaps play it to your band on guitar and leaf it in its form without that your original idea slept away.
Good luck to you , by the way real prof. sound!
#6March 29th, 2006 · 04:11 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
these lyrics are ... "extraordinaire".. especially to the Floydish sound

I think the mix is great actually! you say guitars are too loud, but the way it is mixed makes for an intense listening experience. Personally I'd say this is the most rounded and flowing/rolling song you have on here thusfar -

I didn't find anything wrong with it at all... except maybe.. slightly... the drums mixing/production... But that's just me from an extremely picky point of view... Actually it comes on to me as really professional... could be right on the radio, - lawrence is a great vocalist, and the band sounded really good together.

too bad it's

but the songs are great!
#7March 29th, 2006 · 04:58 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
i love this
what a gorgeous song

voices (instruments) well separated.............lyrics legible all the way through-100%
U HAVE OBVIOUSLY WORKED MANY HOURS INTO THIS.......GREAT
High voice is lovely
Hope u r putting an album together................

Thanks

vote 89%

splash
#8March 30th, 2006 · 11:59 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
Well..., you people make my day....

this song i wasn't so sure about, i think that's growing now

Glad people notice this is a song from the heart!

Tritonkeyborder: Is that an offer? be my guest!

Voltstupor: I think i understand why you call it fragmented, although i don't agree.                         Maybe that changes as you listen more to it(maybe not)
Any idea what could be that connection btw?
And i did play it acoustic for the band: the bare composition is made on it, maybe i didn't do it well enough , but i guess its just the influence of the other musicians and losing oversight at a point..

PuppetXeno: tnx for confirmations!  funny how one( like voltstupor) says its so fragmented, while you say its the most rounded  (unless you both mean different things)
Curious to know what exactly you mean with the drum mixing( its perfect! not? )

And Battlecat : comments like yours makes it worth posting, always find a connection or insight that surprises! Getting to the heart is much more important to me than a perfect mix or track

Everyone tnx for listening and comments

yours truly
#9March 30th, 2006 · 02:06 PM
14 threads / 7 songs
72 posts
United States of America
Just had to listen some more.The intro builds very nicely, the vocal creeps in smoothly, the drums continue the build, just a super sound. The lyrics are excellent, btw, very haunting in an intimate way.
At times I wish the vocals were a tad louder, but really it just seems you are working the dynamics. Mostly the vocals are at an ideal level for the song. The slide guitar is incredible, that is exactly the right feel.

I think this is better than a lot of the stuff I hear on the radio these days. Keep up the good work!
#10March 31st, 2006 · 05:53 PM
8 threads / 8 songs
257 posts
Netherlands
I think i know one connection,..the beginning is (sort of) acoustic.
Perhaps it would be better for balance to also end with that.
Consequens would be then:to make the (acoustic) end longer and delete something in the middle or make it shorter in the middle.
But ofcourse this is just a idea,..Anyway good luck to ya guys.

#11May 14th, 2006 · 08:45 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
think i get your point  Voltstupor! i'm thinkin of ending it in 3/4 beat clean guitar now, hope to record it soon..

#12May 17th, 2006 · 08:51 AM
50 threads / 43 songs
130 posts
Netherlands
Wow!

This song is amazing!!

This song really is full of emotion! Great work!
#13May 18th, 2006 · 08:29 AM
4 threads / 4 songs
10 posts
United Kingdom
A bit maudlin, slightly reminiscent of early Peter Green, although nice guitar work especially the slide, very atmospheric. A grower.
#14May 18th, 2006 · 02:13 PM
66 threads / 55 songs
697 posts
United States of America
This is amazing...

the textures on those guitars in the beginning... there's a lot of feeling in it.

vocals sound great.. very nice.

I like everything about.

If I had to change something... I would make it a tad bit faster... just my opinion.

nice guitar solo.

this is a great song.
#15May 18th, 2006 · 08:46 PM
66 threads / 55 songs
697 posts
United States of America
takaminerbb13 wrote…
If I had to change something... I would make it a tad bit faster...

ya know... scratch that.. I've listened to it 5 times in a row and it sounds great...
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 7:35 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.