#1March 9th, 2006 · 01:09 AM
2 threads / 2 songs
12 posts
United States of America
Popo

This song is not in a battle

This is a live recording of my band, Midnight Spaghetti & The Chocolate G-Strings.  We are working on a studio album now, and we want to refine our songs to capture the energy of our live shows, yet make the tracks punchy and concise.  Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2March 9th, 2006 · 07:06 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Don't really care for live recordings like this one... It sounds to much like late night at a bar.. but the overall song is nice...  Very groovy..    the band is tight... dig the horns...  The guitar solo is a little long, but I love the police siren thing...  that is cool.. but the whole thing throws me off because of the live in the bar recording... would like to hear your studio stuff.
                  JimK  I have not rated this song.
#3March 9th, 2006 · 09:49 AM
7 threads
104 posts
United Kingdom
Going to be difficult to capture all that in your studio sessions. I think you're 10/10 live and the drums + horns + piano combination gives you a very BIG sound - brilliant. I'd book you.
#4March 11th, 2006 · 12:42 PM
17 threads / 16 songs
148 posts
United States of America
GOOD JOB
I've been gigging for the past 25 years from clubs to hotels to stadiums. I currently have a 10 pc. horn band that kicks ass and I've gotta say, I love this track. I'm not sure why JimK isn't into live but to me that is the way music is meant to be. I think we pervert something about a performance when we punch in and edit the crap out of it (I've done plenty of that too). Admittedly , the studio has become an instrument unto itself and spawned artists like PuppetXeno and Chauvette who kick ass in their own right but I still respond most strongly to real musicians who are playing right in front of me. If someone can't do that, to my mind there's a chink in their armor.
That late night at a bar thing is exactly what i like about this. You guys are great, especially your drummer - chops a-plenty. There are times in the track where things get a little loose but shit, this IS live. The one true gripe I have is the effect on the vocal. It sounds like distotion is creeping in at points and the mic was a mid-level thang or it might just be the eq. Hard to tell with the mp3 format. You guys should just hire a good engineer and mobile unit and tape your gigs. Nowadays the equipment is so good you can actually get a decent recording live if you isolate the drummer/horns etc. good work, Meat.

You got my vote
#5March 11th, 2006 · 12:48 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
btw, It isn't that I dont like Live recordings... just not poor ones like this... this sounds like someone with a small voice recorder standing in the audience trying to get a bootleg recording..  I would prefer this run through the mixer and recorded better...  That is all, It is easy to record this better live, and I think it would have come out better.... And Again I will say the music is pretty tight.. I agree about the vocals effects.. I wont rate this because of the poor quality recording...  That's all
                  JimK   
#6March 11th, 2006 · 01:06 PM
17 threads / 16 songs
148 posts
United States of America
It's MHO only but I don't know Jim, this sounds like it definitely came off a line from the mixer, the vocal track notwithstanding .I'd be surprised if it didn't.  I agree the mix is less than good since the drums sound like they're in another room. still  the gear they used is probably the same gear we use at home; sm 57s or beta 87s, Cubase or Protools or possibly tape. Yeah i agree the overall quality  bites but i'm attributing that to compression. Frequency range is good and the dynamics are reading through the mp3 format so I was cutting them slack.
#7March 11th, 2006 · 02:24 PM
4 threads / 2 songs
45 posts
Canada
Yeah!  Sounds like you've got yourself one tight little ensemble there.  I agree with arroseuk:  I'd book you too.  Keep it up!

Marg
#8March 14th, 2006 · 09:48 PM
13 threads / 12 songs
149 posts
United States of America
get better pc speakers
this sounded awesome on my pc,-no problem w/recording quality.the tune is A-plus!!!The horns did it for me!
#9March 16th, 2006 · 03:29 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
A live recording! Well, it's one of the better ones that I've heard on this site.....
- The music's great.
- Playing is tight 
- The mix is pretty damn good. 
- Vocal effects a little on the heavy side (too much reverb IMO). 
- Piano and horns nice. 
- Drums very good

All in all pretty excellent I'd say!
#10March 16th, 2006 · 10:01 AM
2 threads / 2 songs
12 posts
United States of America
Thanks for all the positive feedback from everyone.  Just a few words about the recording quality.  This is a direct line from the sound board, but the mix is for the live room.  That is, there wasn't anyone specifically monitoring the mix on the recording, it was a courtosey done by the sound engineer.

The reverb on the vocals is way too high, am I am still to this day not positive what the source of it is.  It isn't anything we added ourselves in the performance, and it isn't characteristic of the sound engineer, who is very experienced and has a great ear.  People who were with us in the audience at the show remarked that the echo wasn't present in the room mix.  Regardless, that isn't part of the recording that we're trying to capture.

Again, thanks for the comments.  This is my first time on BandAmp, and I'm liking it so far.  I'll post more soon, hopefully some studio tracks in the near future!
#11March 21st, 2006 · 01:45 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
good song, good band! So fuck the issue of the recording quality for me, it isn't that bad at all, and what do we have studio's for? To get it all recorded (too perfectly) well.
But this version is a one time take, respect for that!
Cant wait to hear the studio tracks!
#12March 21st, 2006 · 07:53 PM
8 threads / 8 songs
257 posts
Netherlands
Funky groove(wich is not my taste),...anyway ,..if i look at chinees people they look all the same to me,.. so i have to learn more about your drive culture taste /etc.
Perhaps try to put other styeles in to your music???
With respect:Volt

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 4:53 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.