#1February 21st, 2006 · 05:24 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
52 posts
Canada
Radio Song

This song is not in a battle

this is due for a re-record, will be programming out the drum patterns rather than the monotonous loop i have in there now. not sure about the arrangement though? think it might be a tad too long but don't what i would cut out of the song?

lyrics:
This song's for the radio
This song's for my baby's smile
This song's for the young and old
This song's with you for a while

C'mon and bang a gong, this one's a sing along
full of love that's strong, this one's a play along

This song's for radio
This song's for my Irish wake
This song's full of blues and gold
This song's for our goodness sake

Play it when i'm dead and gone,  this one's a sing along
So won't you sing along, you can't get it wrong

This song's for radio
This song cares about your town
This song's drunk on wine and hope
This song's here when you feel down

Return, Amen.....

gear:
old ibanez sabre guitar
yamaha bass
crappity old yamaha drum machine
tascam dp01-fx digital 8-track
apex 460 microphone

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2February 22nd, 2006 · 12:08 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
The quality isn't pretty good, but the main idea of the song is nice.
I didn't like the sound of the guitar.
I feel the song is a bit slow. I think you should increase the speed like 20 bpm so then you will make it more attractive.
The arrangements are fine. I felt this song with influences from Nirvana.
Overall this is good, a bit long, but is ok.

> Iszil
#3March 2nd, 2006 · 06:49 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
14 posts
United Kingdom
Cheeky lyric snatching with the Bang-A-Gong reference. The song's ok. I agree with Iszil that it is a bit slow. Your voice reminds me of REM. Try cutting out some of the lead or the outro if you wanna crop it down a bit. I personally don't feel it's too long though.
#4March 2nd, 2006 · 07:59 PM
16 threads / 13 songs
43 posts
Canada
Yeah I'd definately say speed it up a bit. not too much as to change the sound of the song, just enough to make it have a better flow to it. I get a real Stone Roses/ Pixies vibe off this song which is cool but Id say watch the vocals. Most of them are good and on key but a couple times in each verse you go out of key for a bit. Maybe it was intended to get that kinda nirvana vocal sound but Id say tone it down just a bit and maybe try to soften the vocals up. Istrumentally its cool and the lyrics are neat. Overall nice job and if you take the abpove into account when you go for the re-do you should have yourself a really high quality song.
#5March 4th, 2006 · 11:42 AM
15 threads / 14 songs
140 posts
United Kingdom
Yep. Too slow and too long. Speed it up a little and it'll cut down the length a bit. I'd also be tempted to shorten the section between the last verse and the "return, amen" vocal. I'd certainly shorten the outro- lasts way too long and makes the artificial drum sound more prominent where you'd managed to hide it pretty well up until that point.
The song itself is ok. I like the idea behind the lyrics and the vocal arrangement is cool although the vocals do need tightening up in places (but I'm not one to talk about that
)
#6March 17th, 2006 · 08:38 PM
6 threads / 6 songs
52 posts
Canada
thanks for the comments everybody! i've always found it *very* interesting to hear other peoples references points. all the bands mentioned are ones that i have listened to extensively, although i kinda lost touch with REM after the Green album. theothercomrades reference blew me away cause i love both those bands and listening back to the song after reading that comment really makes me hear it a different way. i was listening to the arcade fire's 'funeral' a lot when the song was written, and probably drew some inspiration from there, but now i wonder if they were also influenced by the stone roses / pixies (i definitely hear some pixies) as well... i'm getting the impression that this song should be faster and little shorter though 
#7March 18th, 2006 · 09:02 AM
17 threads / 16 songs
148 posts
United States of America
Hey this is a good tune. I think it gives the impression of being long and slow because of the arrangement. the guitar riff that introduces the song is good, but try not playing it while you're singing. It sounds great when it's alone rather than when it's fighting the vocals. Man, i can sypathize with so-so drum tracks! This one just needs to be more assertive or dynamic IMO. Also, more movement in the bass line, rather than the pedal approach, might make the song move more without speeding up. I guess the thing that gets to me, which other people might groove on, is that it's the same song from intro to verse to hook. If each section had it's own character, even only subtly different, it would change the song a lot. anyway, good going. BTW you do kinda have a Michael Stipe vibe!
#8March 18th, 2006 · 10:42 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Very good song man....

as for it being slow.. .well, if it is sped up a bit, it wont feel so long... so don't chop it.... just pick tempo up a smidge... 

otherwise, this is a great tune.....  

I like it... not much else to say, I mean, alerion is right about the riff and lyrics colliding, and the drums are so so...  as for the mix, it isn't really that bad...

The lead sound is ok, just needs to be softened a bit in the mix... it is a bit peircing at times...  otherwise... great job...  you could perhaps add a touch of flavor with a phaser(just a touch of phase) on the guit-fiddle... but don't over do it... I would even suggest a small amount of reverb.....

I really like the lyrics...  so, if and when you re-do it, I can't wait to hear it..

Jim "slowhand" K
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 3:57 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.