#1February 6th, 2006 · 06:06 PM
6 threads / 5 songs
72 posts
United States of America
Your Bar Sucks

This song is not in a battle

I should explain.  This song is meant to be light-hearted, in a cynical kind of way.  That is to say, it contains several curse words.

This is not my usual style of song-writing.  It started as a poem about a bar in my fairly small hometown.  It was pretty much the only place for an original rock band to play, so they kind of had local bands by the throat.  Didn't pay much, but they didn't have to. 

I changed the name of the song from the bar's actual name.  (Coincidentally, the name of the bar is also part of a prominent Bandamp poster's handle, and I didn't want to accidentally offend him!)

I played there several times in a couple different bands, and each time something bad would happen.  These events are chronicled in the lyrics.  Each time, the events would become worse and worse, and the pay became less and less (Not just for us - for all performers).

So this song is dedicated to anyone who has ever been frustrated by the circumstances surrounding live low-budget performance.  There's probably something in there that you can relate to.

As one last caveat... It's not that I "hate" Metallica.  Hate is a strong word.  But I do resent the drunken sloths that come up to an original band at an original bar and demand that the band plays some Metallica cover. 

Enjoy!

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2February 7th, 2006 · 01:47 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
haha, it's great! the lyrics say it all indeed - and "it's a material world that we are living in - I promise never to quote Madonna ever again" - amongst some other: lol

I like it all. lyrics, drive, sounds, even the drum machine.

great great great... you should do just one more gig at that place... and play this as set closer.... (you can use my No Deal to open with if you like )
#3February 7th, 2006 · 02:10 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
those doubled voices are great, and the break is nice too, well done, fun song!
Lirycs too!
distorted guitar sounds could be improved i think,except for the low part of the last solo;love that sound!
Great song!
#4February 7th, 2006 · 04:43 PM
131 threads / 114 songs
295 posts
United Kingdom
its good, i like the vocals alot, guitar sounds abit weak... was it recorded in a studio sounds like a bad recording
#5February 7th, 2006 · 06:23 PM
119 threads / 90 songs
258 posts
United Kingdom
Sounds very much like a bar near me!

Lyrics are very funny. Live drums would make the song a helluvalot better.
#6February 7th, 2006 · 06:58 PM
38 threads / 36 songs
118 posts
Italy
At almost 5 min. long it never gets boring.  The arrangements are the strong point--the melody isn't.  Having said that, I have to admit that the melody (and your singing) has some melancolic undertow (like in my favorite "Saint") which resonate so well with me.  So straight to my playlist this one goes, too.
#7February 8th, 2006 · 12:46 AM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
Fun!
What did you use to get that distortion? it sounds like an old (really old) Ibanez pedal I have...  I quite like it.  I loved the non-distorted parts though.  Great song!
#8February 8th, 2006 · 02:44 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Not a complex song - actually, it's a pretty standard guitar riff that could be boring without the dramatic change at 3:10 - but I didn't find any part of it boring; in fact, quite the opposite!
Why?  The lyrics just make this song superb.  In fact, of all the songs I've played on Bandamp, this is one that I would LOVE to do with my band!!!
It's GREAT 
#9February 8th, 2006 · 08:43 PM
6 threads / 5 songs
72 posts
United States of America
Puppet - You know, I've contemplated busting it out at open mic night at the place.  It actually still has a lot of drive acoustically/solo.  But there are three major problems:

1.  I can't bring myself to go back in there.
2.  It would be hard to pull off "No Deal" by myself on an acoustic.  But it could be quite  
     a memorable experience - one way or another...
3.  I value my life.  

Aetheris - I'm almost embarrassed to admit what I used for the guitar effect, but here goes:  A beaten-up Fender Deluxe 112 amp (with 2 missing knobs) into a BR-8 digital recorder.

Porcelain - Agree 100% about the drums... If only... If only... If only...

Thanks all for the kind words... Glad you're getting a chuckle out of it, as that is quite a part of my personality.  I'm glad I didn't ruffle too many feathers with the lyrical content 
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 4:11 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.