#1January 18th, 2006 · 12:06 AM
6 threads / 5 songs
72 posts
United States of America
Saint

This song is not in a battle

This is, maybe, a "dark pop" song, written by a band I was in before we decided to go our own ways.  Not many people have heard it, so I'm hoping to find out what you all think.  Thanks.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2January 18th, 2006 · 01:38 AM
39 threads / 38 songs
131 posts
Netherlands
Sounds pretty cool . Pity that you stopped creating music together
#3January 19th, 2006 · 04:41 AM
38 threads / 36 songs
118 posts
Italy
It's "dark", it's "pop", it's a very good song and it makes one agree with RazoR.  The voice and the lyrics make it sound sad/dramatic, the guitar licks (in the right channel) are subtle, the bass/drums break is un-expected and cool (even though I would have preferred something "stronger".  Also, the vocal could use some harmonies).  All in all it gets my highest rating and makes my playlist.

P.S. To answer your doubts ("I don't know if this one is up to the standard you set in what I have previously heard, though") about "Air that I breathe": no, it is not.  It sounds like a "filler" when compared with other songs.  Hopefully, you'll like the new song I posted today.
#4January 19th, 2006 · 11:42 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
it's a pretty good song. touches a bit of wave/rock with that vocal style and melody aswell as with the distorted guitar sound.... but overall, it's pop indeed. I don't think it's very dark - only compared with other pop then.

so... you got a day job then ?

you still do some music, right? what was your part in this btw?
#5January 19th, 2006 · 05:38 PM
6 threads / 5 songs
72 posts
United States of America
PuppetXeno:
I agree - It is only dark when compared to other pop.  That was the intent of my introductory statement.  I should have been more clear.

The "day job" is just a pre-emptive response to criticism that is not of the constructive nature.  As in "Boy, I hope you have a day job".  "Yeah, I got a day job."

I still write/play/record quite a bit, on a much more individual level, more of a hobby.  (See my other posted song "Madison" for an example).

On "Saint", I played the guitar that you hear in the right channel.  Also, as it was quite a band-wide collaboration effort, I put forth the usual suggestions and ideas for form, length, dynamics, etc.   The same group of musicians recently got together and played (for the heck of it), and ended up having a discussion about the form and outcome of this song in particular, so I thought I'd toss it out there for others to hear and discuss.

Thanks for your input.
#6January 19th, 2006 · 05:47 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
well, I think it's a nice song. I wouldn't have felt surprised to find this on one of those indie compilation CDs. and I think that says most of it, as it doesn't stand out much, but it is surely a nice song - just listening to the overall feel, not focusing on lyrics.

it could have used an extra variation of chords, but that would take the wave rock effect away. on now second listen (actually I'm playing songs in a loop so I've heard it a couple of times already), I think the dropping of instrumentals around 3:00 and consecutive build up kindof re-enstate the listeners attention, but couldve been stronger.

and yes, I listened to Madison, I think it's a great tune. very 60's - 70's hippy feel, it's great. anyway, post more of your work, it's really interesting, and a good production quality at that, it's good for the site

oh yea, and I am getting that dayjob idea... so... lol
#7January 22nd, 2006 · 02:07 PM
44 threads / 6 songs
305 posts
United States of America
I like your voice, its very original. Keep it up.
#8January 22nd, 2006 · 02:52 PM
6 threads / 5 songs
72 posts
United States of America
Zach - Thanks, though it's actually a bandmate's voice.  I'll pass along the compliment 

Bratello- Yeah... The bridge breakdown could be stronger.  In fact, our bassist wanted to use a pick on it (which did make it sound much better) but it sounded really awkward in context with the rest of the song.  Good observation.  Also- I am enjoying all of your new songs.  Thanks!
#9January 30th, 2006 · 10:37 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Really good work....  Great quality... not my favorite style, but very well put together...

I wonder if You experiment with any other styles?...

JimK
#10February 17th, 2006 · 05:38 AM
9 threads / 7 songs
66 posts
Canada
Right on.... Reminds me of some old Nada Surf. I like old Nad Surf though and that's a compliment coming from me. Did you guys do many gigs as a band? Well I hope to hear some new fresh stuff from your home collection. Peace
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 4:55 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.