#1January 7th, 2006 · 07:36 AM
5 threads / 5 songs
21 posts
United Kingdom
Why Only Really Bad

This song is not in a battle

Full title should read 'Why Only Really Bad People Drink Lots And Lots Of Alcohol'.  This is a song in 2 parts, about the alcohol addiction in my family.  Hope you enjoy it!  (btw, the guitaring isn't great - I'd only started teaching myself the guitar 4 months before I wrote and recorded this.  And yeah, the backing vocals are off in places.  And the drums don't have enough variation.  And I forgot to add a bass, and it gets repetitive towards the end.... But hey, I said I'd stop doing girly songs - this one has a swearword!).  Lyrics:

At 1:46, I burned my dreams alive
By 3:15, I realised

There is nothing left to
Dream about and nothing
I know, quite says home
Like staggering to a
Pounding in my head

By the time I've woken up
All my dreams have left me
Maybe if I beg and plead
They'll come for a drink with me

The only dangerous amount
Is nothing at all
Try saying this to me
As I crash into the wall

I learn by the failures
Of my past as such
I've come to understand
There's such a thing as 'too much'

The only dangerous amount
Is nothing at all
Try saying this to me
As I crash into the wall

What has your history got to do
With anything I say to you?
The road you're walking is a dead-end
Where everyone gets fucked in the end

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2January 7th, 2006 · 08:04 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
wow, strong song.

I really enjoyed the song about your sister too (inspiring )

I love the different phases it passes through - the entire progression of the song really keeps me sharply listening.

great how the drums suddenly kick in - that's where your lead vocals could be brought up more, and maybe with a good stereo spread. but then it's not a pro recording, which isn't necessary anyway. it's a more than decent mixing job anyway. good instrumentals, (practice that guitar more though) great lyrics. gets the message through preetty clearly. lovin' it. there's some alcoholism in my family too (are there any families without btw?) so I can relate.
#3January 7th, 2006 · 08:46 AM
38 threads / 36 songs
118 posts
Italy
All things considered (incl. only 4 months of learning the guitar), the talent comes through.  The vocal is very pleasant, the lyrics make a lot of sense (which is not always the case even in many a professional recording) and the many parts of the song make it interesting to listen to.
#4January 7th, 2006 · 10:22 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
A good song.  What is "girly" anyway!?

Putting in a solo acoustic guitar accompaniment after only four months of playing is one brave thing to do - and you carry it off superbly.  The lead needs a bit of work though, but with the talent you obviously have, it won't be long before that's up to a good standard.

I'm not sure about when you bring the drums in, or the way you do it - perhaps just introduce them in a very simplistic way earlier in the song, and then lead into the all out attack as you do.

And yes, a bass would be nice!

(No alcoholism in my family btw - oh, apart from my sister-in-law!!!)
#5January 7th, 2006 · 12:08 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
wow only 4 months? it's hard to tell. you've got more talent then even me

this is a powerful song and the lyrics meanings can get a little fuzzy; but hey, my dad has always said that's the secret to great lyric writing.

a suggestion: when the drums come in, you also need to bring up the vocals, because they are very hard to hear at that point, but shouldn't be.

And if you've seen a couple of my other posts you might know that putting in a bass would boost my opinion quite a bit.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 29th, 2024 · 2:28 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.