#1January 2nd, 2006 · 02:59 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Last Night

This song is not in a battle

Another experiment in recording (still with the old soundcard).  This one turned out a little better I think!

It's still a little muddly in the mix - and for some reason, the bass doesn't seem to stand out as much as I wanted.  The drums were added using Fruity Loops (another experiment)

See what you think

Jim AC

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2January 2nd, 2006 · 09:02 PM
13 threads / 12 songs
149 posts
United States of America
very groovy,yeah baby (as austin powers would say)
#3January 4th, 2006 · 08:05 PM
1 posts
Canada
Oh man this is sweet, when the electric git. kicks in it kinda reminds me of santana's style of playing, I love it.
#4January 5th, 2006 · 01:59 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
starts out with a nice ambiance. Really cool how it suddely changes to the santana like style.

Really tight playing. You certainly pack the know how of interesting soloing!

Can't say much about the composition itself, except for the production quality, but I understand you are aware of that. It isn't half bad anyway. The drums are an interesting experiment, though a few fill patterns would have greatly added to the mood, aswell as a bit more roominess (perhaps by adding reverbs to the different drum parts).

I should add that you have some interesting guitar tones. How do you accomplish this?

ok very nice stuff. should be a welcome change amidst the things that usually come up in my itunes.
#5January 6th, 2006 · 04:31 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks all for your comments - I'm amazed to have got such positive feedback from what was really a play about session for me. 
Adding fill patterns and re-verb to the drums - now there's an idea!  It's one that's gonna have to wait though, as I'm struggling just to get any decent drum tracks put together at the moment (I don't think I have a natural percussion ear!)

As for how do I achieve my guitar tones, this is all done through a POD xt Live.  I use different Amp/Cab and effect sims for it all.  For example, the main lead in this track had the following settings:
Amp Sim -
    Mesa Boogie Mark IIc, with not too much drive
Effects Sim -
    Tube Screamer, pretty low drive settings but high gain
    Line6 Sine Chorus set in time with the track, with a depth of 70% and a 40% mix
    Line6 digital delay, again set in time with the track, 50% feedback, but only 20% mix
    and finally a "medium hall" re-verb post EQ

I also use a noise gate to get rid of some unwanted hum, and (of course) there's some compression in there somewhere!

The initial lead had more or less the same simulated amp and effects, but I turned the screamer's gain setting way down and the amp's drive way up!

The clean(ish) guitar was basically through a Hiwatt 100 sim, using loads of compression and chorus with a touch of digital delay and minimal re-verb.
#6February 10th, 2006 · 04:52 PM
24 threads / 9 songs
284 posts
Mexico
wow
good song. to me is a conjuction of many songs in one. your description in the last post is interesting, I will do the same. I never think about do something like that
#7March 20th, 2006 · 09:44 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Awesome job!!!   You really have something great going on here... The drums aren't really as bad as all that....  I think they could be brought up a bit in the mix... 
   I love the 80's feel it has to the rythm... the lead work is really well done...  Very impressive.....  the drums go very well with the overall sound...   Rockin.... 

Now, the true criticism.....

The drums are too low.. the lead guitar at times is too overpowering... although it is lead, and meant to stand out, it muddies up the rest of the song to a point that gets a bit hard to handle.. but that is because I am a bit anal retentive about mixing.. hehe...    I really can't see too much else to critique... this is a hundred times better than anything I can do right now...

Ukelele Jim  
#8April 7th, 2006 · 12:33 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
wow, great soloing! great sounds too, bass could use a little boost between 40 and 90 hz, the first solo-guitar sound could be a little smoother
Add a lot of virtuous drums and you have  a great instrumental!
#9May 30th, 2006 · 05:09 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
hey
sounds good Jim    like the solo    keep it going

Ralph
#10June 14th, 2006 · 04:11 PM
16 threads / 15 songs
108 posts
Bulgaria
I Like your music man.Very cool!I haven't any negative critics Keep Going to the TOP!

Re-FleX
#11July 14th, 2006 · 06:44 PM
7 threads / 7 songs
37 posts
United States of America
This is really good.  Especially for being something that you was just playing around with.  Great Job!
#12July 14th, 2006 · 09:06 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Last Night
2 songs here?the intro?then the cool guitar noodle...............u understand?
no song here yet?................but the playing is great...............u understand?
no vote yet?

splash

the fish
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 9:58 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.