#1November 29th, 2005 · 02:49 AM
4 threads / 4 songs
15 posts
United States of America
Unbidden

This song is not in a battle

A bit of longing. Electric guitars, harmonica, vocals. Straightforward, with a tinge of  country. Drink to the dregs.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2November 29th, 2005 · 03:26 PM
28 threads / 19 songs
175 posts
United States of America
I liked the feel of the song, good lyrics, doesn't really need much. The chord progression, though simple, is effective. You've got a good voice too.

One suggestion: get rid of the distortion on the rythm electric guitar... keep it clean. The lead needs just a tad more work, but I still think this is a great song. Without the muddy rythm guitar, this one goes on my playlist!

Keep up the good songwriting- very professional minus the lead and production issues
#3November 29th, 2005 · 04:31 PM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
i have to agree with everything levee said.  the rhythm guitar sound is dreadful.  to middly and really shouldnt be distorted!  nice harmonica sound - its hard to record harmonica without it sounding out of tune, but you've done a good job.

very laid back - i really like the feel.  good job, its just a shame the guitar sound is so poor, since it plays such a large part of the song.
#4November 30th, 2005 · 01:09 PM
7 threads / 6 songs
18 posts
United Kingdom
hey mate, yeh really like it.

The harmonica is well placed for the most part which is excellent...
Vocals are very strong and very nice lyrics...
Pace doesnt drag which is excellent given the nature of the tune..
I think the rythum guitar issue is one of recording...not a misplaced idea...i think u just really need to get the right sound out of it...
#5December 5th, 2005 · 05:04 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
Yup I pretty much agree with everything leVee said.
#6December 5th, 2005 · 08:37 PM
48 threads / 41 songs
144 posts
New Zealand
It's quite Dire straits isn't it? Am i the only one that thinks that?

I think the tune and rhythm could use a bit more variation. But apart from that i really like it.
#7December 6th, 2005 · 02:22 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Great song, nice vocals. Nice mix.
#8December 8th, 2005 · 07:59 AM
5 threads / 5 songs
21 posts
United Kingdom
I can't really say anything that hasn't been said already.  There's a nice feeling to the song, but I can see what people mean about the rhythm guitar sound; though it's not as offensively awful as some are making out - when the other instruments come in, it fades into the background a little more and sounds better.
#9December 8th, 2005 · 08:34 AM
7 threads / 6 songs
19 posts
India
You've got a really nice voice man! the lead bit needs some work though.. i know its country but how about some faint guitar feedback and tapped harmonic sounds behind everything else.. would give it a little more edge.. like the lyrics too. Cheers man!
#10December 9th, 2005 · 07:42 AM
1 threads / 1 songs
3 posts
United States of America
interesting
well i agree with the other reveiwers its very smoothe and sweet
#11December 11th, 2005 · 04:42 AM
4 threads / 4 songs
15 posts
United States of America
Hey all, appreciate all the feedback. I think this MP3 file was transcoded at some point from another lossy format, and I think that's the cause of some of the nast on the guitars. I'll try to clean it all up a bit and put a revised one up at some point.

I can't deny having a Dire Straits influence, though I don't think I wrote that explicitly into this song.
#12December 11th, 2005 · 05:50 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
you can hear Mark Knopler influence in your vocals somehow, and the song itself halfway resembles some of his solo work (my father has the entire collection, and yea I know it pretty well too). But no, definately not too explicitly - in any way I can't see anything wrong with having an influence or two.

Although quite simplistic, I think this tune to be very appreciable. You do well on the harmonica - not too much and not too cheesy. But you need to work on your recording technique, to brush up the quality, get rid of the plops and the hiss in the vocals, and perhaps pay more attention to the eq-ing of the different parts.

ok keep it up!
#13December 14th, 2005 · 12:54 PM
5 threads / 4 songs
29 posts
Canada
This is a really cool song.Just something about it that makes me feel content.

Great work
#14December 14th, 2005 · 01:04 PM
4 threads / 3 songs
13 posts
United Kingdom
Not really my type of music a little to mundane.
Come on man lively up yourself
#15May 19th, 2006 · 11:30 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
song ánd voice reminding me to Tom Petty (guess i didn't listen much to dire straits)

mix is a bit rough and mostly very dry, some reverb could work great here!

i like the song

Could work well with drums too, that would fit the guitarsound more too, although i like the sound , i would have chosen an acoustic for this arrangement

but as said, it worked well for me
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 9:18 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.