1 2

#1November 9th, 2005 · 03:57 PM
8 threads / 7 songs
96 posts
Canada
Lull

This song is not in a battle

recorded live @ the Casbah last Friday, Nov. 4th. On a spate of 3/4 waltzy tunes, I almost called this "Lullaby" and then didn't. been using lotsa melodic leaps and bounds in my writing lately..

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2November 9th, 2005 · 04:15 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Yea... very relaxing... I always enjoy a good jazz -

so how did you record this? the instrument levels are nicely balanced, although the ride is a bit dominant. I guess - a single condenser mic? would've loved to hear this in full stereo though. well, that's my only critique! 
#3November 9th, 2005 · 04:20 PM
8 threads / 7 songs
96 posts
Canada
stereo?
hey PX...

is it not in stereo? turned it into an MP3 @ work, so while it was recorded in stereo, I can't listen to it to understand the issue... confused.

as for recording: we actually had everything mic'd, bass and guitar had DIs, and the drums had like 6 different mics, including one condenser overhead. This was all recorded direct to laptop and CD burner simultaneously (just to be safe), which worked out because only set two of the burner copies is playable.

BT
#4November 9th, 2005 · 05:08 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
mono
nope, just checked the mp3 properties... it's 44.1 kHz, 128 kbps, mono. yea that compromises the listening experience. he he... that's why I figured a single, well positioned top quality condenser mic to have done the trick. that IS possible, I know a rumba/flamenca/gipsy swing combo who used to record their performances that way, and it does provide adequate quality. but they don't have drums - and now you mention it, especially hearing the bass drum sound I should've known it's all mic'd - and yea, the guitar did sound DI'd, ...

okaayyy.... hope you upload the stereo versions soon... 
#5November 9th, 2005 · 06:56 PM
4 threads / 4 songs
15 posts
United States of America
I dig the variety around here. Nicely performed and captured. I could wish for a fuller tone on the guitar solo, after the richness of the horn, but... details. Very nice.
#6November 9th, 2005 · 09:40 PM
8 threads / 7 songs
96 posts
Canada
I don't disagree about the guitar sound... needs maybe a little more warmth to it, like a Strat maybe (it's an Ibanez, wouldja believe)...

So I checked out the files I have and have discovered that in fact it may be that the (moronic) sound guy recorded everything in mono! How is this possible, we all ask, aghast? No idea. Have emailed to ask if maybe he just burned me mono copies and maybe he has stereo copies. Otherwise, we have a great sounding MONO recording. argh.
#7November 9th, 2005 · 11:01 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
3 posts
Philippines
wow... luv it!!! if i had a coffee house or sumptin... i'd really play ur music.... 
#8November 10th, 2005 · 11:32 AM
7 threads / 6 songs
18 posts
United Kingdom
very nice tune
#9November 10th, 2005 · 03:27 PM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
That's fantastic.  I don't give professional ratings lightly.
#10November 10th, 2005 · 04:00 PM
8 threads / 7 songs
96 posts
Canada
wow. thanks Dave! even in mono, huh? turns out the soundguy doesn't think he *can* record in stereo from his setup, which somehow i think is unlikely, but that's a little moot @ this point, no?
at any rate, totally chuffed. thank you.
#11November 10th, 2005 · 07:01 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Hey BT! Nice to see you back after a while. Loved the song. Thought the composition and progression was so unique and lovely. Thanks for the post! Sorry bout your sound probs
#12November 11th, 2005 · 12:19 PM
8 threads / 7 songs
96 posts
Canada
hey CC...

I know; went on a bit of a hiatus after the whole server crash thing... anyway. Yes, hello. So glad you liked the tune... we're going into the studio in early 2006 to actually record an album... just have to get my grant application in by the end of this month to see where finances are going to be at.
#13November 12th, 2005 · 08:00 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
That's great! Hope all goes well and post the website where I can buy your album. K?
#14November 29th, 2005 · 09:19 PM
8 threads / 7 songs
96 posts
Canada
yes. drummer Dennis Song kicks ass. and happens to be an engineer in his spare time, wouldja believe. that's one talented guy!
#15March 26th, 2006 · 06:00 PM
9 threads / 7 songs
66 posts
Canada
Great
Loved this tune. I really enjoy the overall feeling. You guys are very talented. Hope to hear more from you. Good luck on your future CD.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 2:07 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.