#1November 5th, 2005 · 01:29 PM
28 threads / 19 songs
175 posts
United States of America
The Dial

This song is not in a battle

A soft, major-key, 3-part acoustic harmony on guitar, with vocals by a friend named Andrew. The lyrics are from a Ralph Waldo Emerson poem, and are out of copyright. The music was all written by me.

Comments on vocals welcome... not mine, so be as harsh as you want!

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2November 5th, 2005 · 02:54 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
You know this sounds an awful lot like a piece I recorded many many years ago... except this is much much better

About the vocals: is Andrew a haggard old man? he sings that way, though his voice doesn't seem whiskeyed up enough for that 
I like that style, it does seem to fit the music (although my strongly resembling piece went without - ), it went slightly out of tune, hence the impression.

dreamy piece. beautiful. I'll say no more.
#3November 5th, 2005 · 02:54 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
13 posts
Poland
Nice, nice. But there's a quite loud noise starting from about 2:30.
#4November 6th, 2005 · 09:56 AM
3 threads / 1 songs
7 posts
United States of America
Andrew's voice fits greatly with the tune.  It would be better if you would have used a keyboard along with the acoustic guitar.
#5November 7th, 2005 · 12:05 AM
25 threads / 23 songs
168 posts
United States of America
First let me say that I like this song alot. I listened through a couple times while writing this.

Your guitar parts in the intro, while wonderfully composed, don't seem to overlap each other that well... Around .45 there seems to be a battle for which part is controlling the flow of the song and which parts are coloring it. My personal suggestion would be to dumb down the fingerpicking rhythms during the strong leads prior to the verse and let them come back in when the vocals start.

Again, This is me trying to offer my best criticism, I really do think it's a great song.
#6November 7th, 2005 · 02:59 AM
4 threads / 4 songs
15 posts
United States of America
Vocals sound good, but could use a bit less echo. The guitar parts don't seem to ever converge and kind of wander by themselves; there's no consistent musical direction to the song (throughout the song) - it sounds like it's about to consolidate at the end, but then it's over.

Despite the aimlessness, the sunniness of the guitar parts lends to a relaxing vibe, and I enjoyed listening to it.
#7November 8th, 2005 · 02:09 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Really nice composition. I have to agree with Clusterone's opinion on the guitars, there is a tug of war going on. I'm not really sure what to suggest as far as picking to make it flow better. Did you listen to the other guitar/s while you recorded the parts, that might help.
The vox are decent but a little too much echo, if you have a room size in your reverb, turn it down as much as possible.
It's really well mixed and played. Very impressed.
#8November 12th, 2005 · 06:49 AM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
i like the flow and general ideas, although I acknowledge the others comments about the guitar parts fighting each other.  makes it sound messy.  you could also do with working on the timing - in some places the guitars sound out of time with each other ... like a really under-rehearsed band playing live.  keep working on the ideas.
#9November 22nd, 2005 · 10:50 PM
28 threads / 19 songs
175 posts
United States of America
just wanted you all to know...

im gonna get rid of this guitar part part:

e-------------------------------------------------
b-----9-7----9-7--------------------------------
g---7-------7----------------etc.---------------
d-0-------0--------------------------------------
a-------------------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------------------

that part, with the other 2, is just too much. thnx for the comments- i thought that other than the vox, this song was is the bag... but simplifying the harmony (i really dont know much about harmony) could go a long way!

thanks again!
#10September 5th, 2006 · 11:49 PM
20 posts
United States of America
This would be a good song if you get help with it or practice it alot before the final cut. The timeing is way, way off, but i would like to hear a final version of this.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 3:58 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.