1 2

#1November 1st, 2005 · 03:43 PM
28 threads / 19 songs
175 posts
United States of America
Pickup

This song is not in a battle

Raw power-chord rock. And it's got vocals! The drums are FL Studio 5.0.

I sang the song, played the guitars, and wrote the music, as well as co-wrote the lyrics (my brother wrote most of them).
Here are the lyrics, if you can't tell:

Careful!
Campin' out!

Camp out on the mountain, in free air
All creation's burnin', and we dont care
Feel the freedom, its all around your head,
oh yeah!

See the signs, cause no one here is aware,
that all the hunger in the world, will never scare
No all your tools will never, never scare,
nowhere!

If you care, I'll explain the message behind the lyrics. Just ask. However, I'm really interested in comments about the vocals, or the music.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2November 1st, 2005 · 03:47 PM
28 threads / 19 songs
175 posts
United States of America
btw, if you dont't listen to the whole thing, at least listen to the solo @ 1:23.
also, the title "Pickup" was not the original title. was gonna call it "Never Scare," but when I found that the only thing the mic would pick up was screaming, the title became "Pickup"
#3November 1st, 2005 · 03:53 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
wow, this is different. I guess this is experiMental metal, pretty cool in my book!

about the vocals: at some points you're holding back a little, causing you to cut off early and / or drop out of tune. (no distortion's gonna cover up for that he he! ) so just go loose, all the way!

the guitars weren't completely dead-on, timing-wise, but did the trick. that's some awesome gruesome raw distortion you got there.

and ofcourse you could've done more with the drums, but overall this song is very energetic and powerful. cool, well done!

umm what's the message behind the lyrics, if I may? 
#4November 1st, 2005 · 04:04 PM
28 threads / 19 songs
175 posts
United States of America
the lyrics are more or less about nature vs. the "fires of industry" (hence the "all creation's burning" line), and the simple life vs. the material life.
Very influenced by Thoreau's work, and Trancendental thought, so nothing too new .

could I upload a version with re-done vocals, calling it "Pickup v. 1.1" or something? I got a relatively nicer mic, and I stress relatively (it's just a performance mic).

anyway, thanks for the post!

btw, you were right about the distortion on the vocals; definately a cover-up effort!
#5November 1st, 2005 · 04:23 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
well, you could re-do the vocals, but it's not necessary, because the "flaws" are only marginal, esp. given the raw nature of the entire song. The distortion on it is great, makes it sound like you're burning in rage.

should you want to re-do the vocals, then I suggest working on a less static drum track aswell, ie. program dynamic fill ins, and since you got fruity loops anyway why not experiment with some swooshing special effects to spice it all up? adds an extra dimension to this tune.

ok, have fun! 
#6November 1st, 2005 · 04:35 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
and I forgot to mention that the solo IS friggin' phatt!
#7November 1st, 2005 · 05:03 PM
1 threads / 1 songs
13 posts
Poland
Vocals are great, but I'd love to hear the backup guitar with wide stereo effect
#8November 1st, 2005 · 07:45 PM
28 threads / 19 songs
175 posts
United States of America
backup guitar...
..on the subject of backup guitar, i think i will duplicate the track, and set one track just BAAAAAARELY off time, with one track 70/30 to the left, and one track 70/30 to the right.
(or should it be 60/40, 80/20, 90/10, or just 100/0? input welcome)

thanks for the ideas. also, i may go through and spice up the drums like PuppetXeno said... maybe try some effects here and there...sweeeeeeeeeeeet!
#9November 2nd, 2005 · 05:46 PM
2 threads / 2 songs
5 posts
United Kingdom
errr
Was there a bass on this tune? Didn't hear one. The drums were repetitive and the guitar out of tune. The sound of the vocals were the best thing about this.
#10November 3rd, 2005 · 11:58 AM
28 threads / 19 songs
175 posts
United States of America
no bass on this one- doing the "white stripes" thing, only with a little more... ... ...anger? anyway, not meant to be angry, just loud  ... and a little angry    then it ends up a little like this guy=>
anyway, the guitar out of tune... maybe, maybe not, let's just call it "artistic choice"

thnx for the posts again, all the compliments on the vocals giving me confidence... and you know how sensitive musicians are

NOTE: this was easily the most Smiley-abundant post in my personal history. maybe of all time... also, used a lot of these=>... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .. .. ... .. .. . . . . .... .. .. ...

...actually, thats morse code. yep, i'm a spy (hope Carl Rove dont rat me out)
#11November 25th, 2005 · 05:39 AM
21 threads / 21 songs
72 posts
Germany
Yeah
It immediately reminds me of John Frusciante.  Loved your as you called it  "artistic choice"  guitar playing.  Did I say that it sounds like John Frusciante?.. the solo rocks and I wish I could express feelings with my voice that great. Tock-Tock-Tock- Bling!
#12December 19th, 2005 · 09:37 PM
14 threads / 13 songs
60 posts
United States of America
Nice solo.
I like the lead guitar.  Maybe you should turn that up a bit more.
#13December 23rd, 2005 · 06:15 PM
28 threads / 19 songs
175 posts
United States of America
I'm gonna upload a new version soon...

I'll give turning up the volume on the solos a shot...

and gonna do wide stereo effect 60/40 on the rythm and lead guitar...

opinions on stereo effect options welcome
#14December 23rd, 2005 · 07:04 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
w'ever, this is a cool song
guitars with stereo chorus, always welcome

phat ping pong delay on the vocals, friggin' welcome

try a good stereo image with the drums. that'll be cool...
#15February 19th, 2006 · 02:07 AM
8 threads / 8 songs
24 posts
United States of America
another vote for turning up the solo.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 3:29 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.