#1September 15th, 2005 · 09:49 PM
8 threads / 8 songs
28 posts
United States of America
Friends Forever

This song is not in a battle

First song by me and my friend.  Didn't know how to use cakewalk so some of it is a lil choppy n stuff

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2September 16th, 2005 · 04:34 AM
49 threads / 42 songs
493 posts
United Kingdom
Classic 'pop-punk' chord progression, but the overall feel is more 'rock'. The guitar is fairly repetitive - but then this suits the style of music. Would really be nice to have some vocal harmonies in there.

I really can't help thinking that this would make a great ska-punk track with some brass and the vox harmonies  in there.

Vocals aren't bad for the style of music. The only potential problem is that they don't deviate melodically very much from the guitar. Might be nice to add a bit of variety in there and a bit more melodic 'hook'.

Anyway, the recording is pretty sparse but there is nothing really 'bad' about it - you are just getting to grips with your setup. Impressively, there is actually a very low noise level  compared to many.

I'd recommend looking into EQ settings to remove boominess from the guitar, then add compression. Your vocals in particular could use some compression to keep it balanced. Feel free to check out my guide for this on 'music theory' I believe (i cant even remember lol).

Good luck, decent composition for the style and not a bad performance. I look forward to hearing more when you get more comfortable with 'performing to record' (which is far more exacting than performing live) and with the recording itself. Then you can look to expand successfully on instrumentation and production. Musically, this is fine to me.

Cakewalk (Sonar?) is not a bad app once you get used to it. Good luck!
#3September 16th, 2005 · 12:15 PM
8 threads / 8 songs
28 posts
United States of America
thanks
thanks for the reply.  We originally wrote that song so that it would go from clean to distorted for electric guitar at the upbeat spots, but all we had to record with was an acoustic.  (our other band member took his amp, guitar, and switch pedal away)  My friend came up with another progression that has a little bit of a change so it changes the repetetive feel a little.  It is cool that you could recognize why we kept what we did in there style wise. Yeah we need to familiarize ourselves with the cakewalk program and get better microphones.  The vocals sound good, but harmonizing would defenitely be a plus... thanks for the advice.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 5:01 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.