#1May 16th, 2009 · 04:36 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Video Project: How To Proceed!
New update!

The voting and discussion round has been closed, it's time to continue to the next step of the project!

We'll be going for My Generation AND Come Together (chorus only).

It will be up to the video editors to make a cool mix of the two.

What we need right now are two click tracks with basic arrangement (simple bass line) so the song structures of My Generation and the Come Together chorus become apparent, and the participants can lay down their vocals and instrumentals to it.

Let's use this thread to assign parts - who will do what!

cheers!
#2May 16th, 2009 · 09:38 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
I can lay down a sort of working rough arrangement and get it to you Px if you are ok with that...I would need some time to work the parts together as I would like for it to make some musical sense...The goal would be to have people fill it up with there assigned parts as you have mentioned...My question for sake of clarification is if the song my generation will be as the original or do I need to add choruses and or verses and or solos and then is it when the song reaches the end that it goes into a come together chorus arrangement and for how long you think should it go.I can make as many mock arrangements as you need to give you the idea of what each idea would look like.I just need a to the point break down as how you want me to structure it..

I will most likely write drums as a click track and I might get some people to help with the music ..This is only to create a foundation as we may loose everything on it as we layer on top..

Let me know what you need...I just need to know if I shall proceed...
#3May 16th, 2009 · 12:07 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
I think 1 full "as original" structure of My Generation, and (some bars) of Come Together chorus+end for the participants to play their parts to, should be enough to yield the material for making the mix which in structure probably will be longer than the original: we do need to make sure all solists get their room to play. In their recording sessions they will play in the same locations, which we'll spread apart in the mix.

Also, a transition / intergration of CT-chorus must be checked to be musically viable, so perhaps the CT arrangement should be fitted with a cue-in "bridge"; a part of the MG end-part where the CT-bass loop can be fitted in followed by some bars of chorus and the end.

Maybe you are already imagining an subtle integration of the CT-bassline into MG.. I'm definately hearing a possibility... But I think 2 tracks is the way to go atleast for participants to record their parts by. 1 x "as original" MG and 1x "cue in + choruses + end" CT. If you're already envisioning a blend-in arrangement, sure go ahead! Work your magic, M, you da man!
#4May 16th, 2009 · 12:19 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Marino wrote…
I can lay down a sort of working rough arrangement and get it to you Px if you are ok with that...I would need some time to work the parts together as I would like for it to make some musical sense...The goal would be to have people fill it up with there assigned parts as you have mentioned...My question for sake of clarification is if the song my generation will be as the original or do I need to add choruses and or verses and or solos and then is it when the song reaches the end that it goes into a come together chorus arrangement and for how long you think should it go.I can make as many mock arrangements as you need to give you the idea of what each idea would look like.I just need a to the point break down as how you want me to structure it..

I will most likely write drums as a click track and I might get some people to help with the music ..This is only to create a foundation as we may loose everything on it as we layer on top..

Let me know what you need...I just need to know if I shall proceed...

I would prefer a basic drum track as you've mentioned, that's how I normaly work too. If you need any help let me know, I'll play what ever.
Cheers
#5May 18th, 2009 · 02:57 PM
17 threads / 16 songs
99 posts
United States of America
I think each person should play all the way through the song and let Denis cut and paste. We just should asign one person we all trust "Marino" to

I'll play what ever you guys allow me to. From armpit farts to piano.
#6May 18th, 2009 · 04:01 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
anodyne wrote…
I think each person should play all the way through the song and let Denis cut and paste. We just should asign one person we all trust "Marino" to

I'll play what ever you guys allow me to. From armpit farts to piano.

Well yeah ofcourse, Marino's making a basic drum (and bass) guide track to play our stuff to, right now we're just waiting for him to post the track(s) so we can get busy. But hey one step at a time!
#7May 18th, 2009 · 11:04 PM
34 threads / 17 songs
581 posts
Canada
So.....is there some assignin' goin on yet?....or....is everyone just going to do whatever they want along to Marino's click track and then it's up to the creative staff to paste it all together?
#8May 19th, 2009 · 01:19 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
spoon wrote…
So.....is there some assignin' goin on yet?....or....is everyone just going to do whatever they want along to Marino's click track and then it's up to the creative staff to paste it all together?

I think it's a good idea to check who wants to play what.

Marino pm'd to say he'll probably have the draft ready by this weekend, so I do like to make an inventory of instruments.

Obviously we need:

vocals (I think all involved should do atleast the choruses, but we do need to figure out harmonies)
guitars (plenty of guitarists; solists included)
bass (who'll take this part?)
percussion (who'll take this part? spoon mentioned playing spoons, seems cool, and I have a cajon, but we may want a regular drummer aswell)
and optional anything else (like keys or wind instruments or 'armpit farts' as anodyne put it etc)

So please let's hear it, to get this stuff together.

Cheers.
#9May 19th, 2009 · 12:04 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
I can do a bit of vocals, guitar, bass, drums and keys...but please dont rely on me lol. I would be happy to do just one or two things.
#10May 19th, 2009 · 05:55 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I suppose officially every one should make a separate track for every vocal/instrument they want to contribute.
This way as every one knows you have the optimum control over the samples.
Even spoons spoons, because the spoons could go all the way through but I'd rather hear spoon sing a couple of lines like every one else.
I take it it's not going to be like the Christmas song where every one sings in whatever style through each other?
That was fun...this one is serious fun!

Does everyone actually have to record the whole song AND a video?
If we were to split up the verses, so that every one gets a bit to sing and if we have a few different takes of 'my generation' and the chorus in general, and a few different takes of 'Come together right now over me' from every participant, that would be the vocal sorted for the whole track.

As for the instruments you guys have to decide which parts each main instrument plays.
And every one else will just have to feel their way through.

As long as everyone makes a video of their vocal part and 60 seconds of them playing a few groovy bits on their instrument, it should be enough material to make a decent project.
How many members are involved M ?, I haven't been counting!
#11May 20th, 2009 · 01:28 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
If you only do vocals in the choruses then I suppose it's not necessary to play the whole track through, because the material can be re-used easy. But incase of almost everything I can think of, ofcourse you need to play the whole track through and video it. I mean we want to make edits afterwards, not beforehand. Better have an excess of material than a shortage!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 1:44 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.