1 2 3

#1October 20th, 2007 · 05:58 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
Power to the People
The site is officially yours What does this mean? I'm giving this website to you, the loyal members of BandAMP. I'm giving away all rights to commercialize this property. This doesn't mean I wont be helping in future development... it just means, now you can participate in bringing this community into its true potential.

So what's next? I'm going to setup a Non-Profit Organization, so BandAMP will not only officially belong to you, but legally as well. This way, you, the members, will have complete control in the future of BandAMP!

Pitch in to help make the website truly be, for musicians, by musicians. Do you know PHP, Javascript, or Flash? Perhaps you're a great website designer, or a writer who wants to extend the FAQs, About Us, et cetera. If you have an idea you'd like to implement, contact Jim who will be divvying out server access to start working on the code. Btw, is there some way you'd guys preferably meet online? We could have developer chats on IRC to get people coordinated. It might be easier for some people if there was a separate chartroom on BandAMP for developers.

——————

BandAMP code will become Open Source (GPL) once the it's been looked over by a few members (and perhaps some bugs, security issues, ect. may need to be fixed). It will be released on NoFunc a website some friends, and myself, have been depositing random bits of GPL'd code. There's a lot of tidbits in there that could be useful, especially this playlist editor that allows you to reorganize your music, rate music, edit titles in place, and so on. I've not had a chance to tie it into the database or make sure it works in Internet Explorer, so someone could volunteer expedite that. Also, maybe a layout more like this would be more appropriate for the amp... (of coarse with different content)

This kind of development has worked for Wikipedia, Linux, and many other popular projects. Let's make it work for us.
#2October 20th, 2007 · 06:00 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Unbelievable.  I have never felt this strongly about anything I have written here: thank you.
#3October 20th, 2007 · 06:03 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
Once all the Bugs & Security Issues (if there are any) are fixed, and the code is cleaned up (to be more easily readable) the code will become Open Source. This means you could setup a BandAMP server on your computer to help develop the website further, or, if you wanted, you could even setup your own BandAMP knockoff. (I dunno, maybe someone wants to make a rap amp, huh, the domain is available).

Once the non-profit organization is setup it might be a good idea to start taking tax-deductible donations for prizes, or maybe advertising (printing flyers), or whatever else may come up. This is something we'll have to figure out when the time comes. I, for one, would love to donate some money to a good cause like that.
#4October 20th, 2007 · 06:08 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
Later this year we should meet up at Burning Man, by then the Non-Profit Organization should be formed (with any luck), then we can have an official meeting, and enjoy some live music in the process.
#5October 20th, 2007 · 08:50 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I made a search for bandAmp on Digg.com, came up with zilch , I didn't want to 'digg it' at the time, my reasoning being that a rightly timed 'digg it' can be a massive impact on a site, and a bandAmp mySpace was rather left in the hands of Mud when it was brought up before.

So now we have a licence to kill !!! ??? 

So has JimKs status has been raised from Mod to Admin? How is contacting Jim if we want to develop the site going to help?
If we all agree on say (for the sake of argument) a new lyrics tab, JimK goes abracadabra and it happens?
I don't mean to sound cynical I'm just trying to get to what it might mean in every day reality.
If we feel like it we can run an advertising campaign for bandAmp? or must it first be discussed with Jim and agreed by members?
We need Flyers (Flyers what?) so Jim has to pay for that and organise distribution for them to be further distributed?
We need a 'paypal' button with an account and a trusted administration behind it! how do we get that sorted?

As I see it now : you change the sites status, it remains free, JimK gets loads of e-mails !
We the members don't get to change anything until it's open source, but it has to be fully functional before that !!!
Just trying to put things in perspective.

Comments aside, my deepest gratitude for the site just the same.
#6October 20th, 2007 · 09:27 PM
50 threads
259 posts
United States of America
i no nuthin about code or open source crap but i can talk and when the moment is right spread the word of the amp to all musicians in the tri-county area
#7October 20th, 2007 · 10:39 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
ok
Kings,

I have the access needed to implement the changes, and though it wont go Abracadabra, I am ready to start working with those who can go abracadabra, and already Avi has stepped up and pledged his allegiance to the amp, he is sending me all the money in his account, and will send me regular payments of $400 a month to be a member of the AMP ELITE..   

ok, not really, but he has graciously agreed to help however he can. So, I now want to get as many people together as I can, in skype, or here in the chatroom, and we can discuss the main things that we need to change, and implement...  And who will be doing the coding..  I will give them the proper access information, and they can go to town... WOO HOO!!!  Power to the People indeed...  This is a MOMENTOUS OCCASION!!! 

JimK
#8October 21st, 2007 · 12:15 AM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
kings wrote…
I made a search for bandAmp on Digg.com, came up with zilch , I didn't want to 'digg it' at the time, my reasoning being that a rightly timed 'digg it' can be a massive impact on a site, and a bandAmp mySpace was rather left in the hands of Mud when it was brought up before.

So now we have a licence to kill !!! ??? 

So has JimKs status has been raised from Mod to Admin? How is contacting Jim if we want to develop the site going to help?
If we all agree on say (for the sake of argument) a new lyrics tab, JimK goes abracadabra and it happens?
I don't mean to sound cynical I'm just trying to get to what it might mean in every day reality.
If we feel like it we can run an advertising campaign for bandAmp? or must it first be discussed with Jim and agreed by members?
We need Flyers (Flyers what?) so Jim has to pay for that and organise distribution for them to be further distributed?
We need a 'paypal' button with an account and a trusted administration behind it! how do we get that sorted?

As I see it now : you change the sites status, it remains free, JimK gets loads of e-mails !
We the members don't get to change anything until it's open source, but it has to be fully functional before that !!!
Just trying to put things in perspective.

Comments aside, my deepest gratitude for the site just the same.

You've misunderstood the idea here. Jim is not in charge of implementing the changes, he's in charge of giving out access to people who want to make changes. Jim could also give someone else access that he trusts, to give out access to other members (if there's a really good unix admin out there, that would be helpful).

As far as digg, that would be awesome :DBut, I agree with you, now is not the right time. We need to wait till any bugs and kinks are worked out, and things are running smoothly.

As far as donations, you've gotta wait till the NPO is setup. And yes, I believe that's how NPO's work, someone has to be in charge of the money, and, no, it doesn't have to be Jim. This person would be the treasurer.

As far as flyers, I was just thinking something people could put in music shops for musicians pick up. And again, no, Jim doesn't need to be in charge of this. You've gotta think of this more like a (non-evil) Borg Collective (for you Star Trek fans out there).
#9October 21st, 2007 · 12:21 AM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
Oh, and BTW, yes, things have changed. Now you can gain access to the code and make changes... That's a huge difference. The server is all ready to be developed. This the 1st step. Once the code is all nice and tidy, we go to phase two, where it's all GPL'd (Open Source). The 2nd step is great, because it will allow a much wider audience to work on the code with greater ease, but we need to make sure the code is bullet proof 1st.

And as soon as possible I'll get the NPO setup (3rd step)... but truly, in my opinion, this last step is the most superficial of all... Although, it definitely sounds cool, and is also very beneficial!
#10October 21st, 2007 · 12:46 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
sweet-- this sounds great.  It'll really give the members more than one way to help other musicians.

Good stuff, friends! I suppose we ought to get on those "kinks" we all talk about sometimes... making the code "bulletproof" like mud said.

thanks a million mud, from the beginnings of this site until now, we've seen great things come about, and now I think you've put this in a position to develope even more!  Thanks for paying for those servers, too :P  That's certainly no small affair for a member of bandamp at random.  You're the best!

Later,
TLS
#11October 21st, 2007 · 01:28 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
unix ? i went to school for unix but it's been awhile, but........ I can contact  friend of mine John Andrews (great guitar player) he is or was one of  the unix admin at  sprint.. he might want to help out, not sure but I can always ask.
#12October 21st, 2007 · 01:31 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
oh yeah and this is good news.. Is downchuck still going to help out some?  Not sure if all the improvements were by him or you, but the sight is doing much better now.  I will help out any way I can but I am not familiar with php code and not enough experience with unix.  but I can help make some industry contacts  if we want to go that route.
#13October 21st, 2007 · 03:00 AM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
toastedgoat wrote…
oh yeah and this is good news.. Is downchuck still going to help out some?  Not sure if all the improvements were by him or you, but the sight is doing much better now.  I will help out any way I can but I am not familiar with php code and not enough experience with unix.  but I can help make some industry contacts  if we want to go that route.

Yup, chuck should still be around from time to time as well. I'm actually down at his house right now taking care of his cat while he's traveling on business He's the one who's been working on the site recently, working out some of the kinks and optimizing the speed.

Any help would be great! I believe Jim mentioned a member here on BandAMP who's good with Unix administration who was willing to help out as well. We probably only need one or two Unix admins, any more would probably be overkill right now. PHP is something that would definitely be helpful, I don't think we can have too many people working on the actual code... especially once it's been cleaned a little.

Has anyone here worked on an Open Source project before? Or perhaps has known someone who has? It might be helpful to hear your experience to help this translation go by smoothly, as we might be able to learn from mistakes, or successes.
#14October 21st, 2007 · 08:13 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
JimK wrote…
This is a MOMENTOUS OCCASION!!!
Absobloodylutely !!!!

As for Jim being king, he is our gracious noodle king and one of our 'two wise mods' and as far as I'm concerned I wouldn't want anyone else as site coordinator , Jim's our main man, King of the Congo !! 

Cheers Mud for the clarity, (and of course for all that you're doing) Realising that this is a 'momentous moment' for all who sincerely care for bandAmp and all that this site is and stands for, I just want to open those curtains as wide as possible !!
#15October 21st, 2007 · 04:29 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Can we have a 'Here here!' 

- Cheers!!!!!
1 2 3

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 9:55 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.