#1November 17th, 2006 · 10:40 PM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
Covers
Hey... this is not really an abuse report... just a question.

I've just logged in and saw the newest featured blog about the rules.  Then I went to the About/rules section and checked out them.  Something got my attention:

"A) No copies/ No covers:
 [...] the songs you submit to BandAMP must be original; written & composed by you..." (not only arranged)

I know covers are somehow allowed (only on songs without copyright i think) and have no problem with that.

But isn't it a bit confusing?
#2November 18th, 2006 · 05:07 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
it is, it is meant to discourage people from uploading covers.

however, if one finds himself PARTICULARY proud of a certain cover, and one has done something REALLY INTERESTING to it, there really isn't a very big problem with sharing it on this site... iirc Rayz posted his arrangement of Korn's Freak on a Leash up here some time ago, and more recently leVee came up with Downhearted Blues. Then there's Skybound with Layla and .. hey, YOU YOURSELF with "Dub her madly" which is based on The Doors' Love her Madly... so yeh

All these examples sound nothing like the original... Would, however, some official organization make a problem out of it, the delete button will be applied. Also, if a cover WOULD sound like the original (i.e. a karaoke attempt) I MYSELF will make a problem out of it... and yes, that delete button will be applied in that case, too... I foresee no such problems though
#3November 18th, 2006 · 01:22 PM
34 threads / 16 songs
538 posts
Mexico
Ok I understand that. And as I said I have nothing against covers although I wouldn't consider dub her madly as a cover, since it doesn't have the structure, the lyrics, chord progression or even the feeling from the original... just the title. I wasn't even thinking on the door's song most of the time while writing the song.

But that's not the point.  I'm aware of the dangers of taking out the "no covers" rule because everybody would start uploading songs they don't own. Anyway, I, as a new member" would feel cheated if I see a cover after reading the rules...
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 10:02 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.